Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Decisions....Questions...L33, LQ4, or LQ9

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 03:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

BELIEVE ME!!! I know that this hobby isn't cheap ALL TOO WELL!!

That explains why I still have 2 wheels brand new in the box untouched since arrival, and no slicks for them. now, I may be going to an explorer 8.8 rear end with the S10, and Jegs told me returning them either for a credit towards another purchase, or a refund is no problem. Thankfully for that... If I am able to get ahold of the explorer rear, it is nice to know that if I choose to not do the shortening and purchase the other axle, I can center up the ford axle, weld the mounts on and bolt it down, and still get wheels to fit my application that wont cause an issue. I will have to crap another $200+ for a pair, but none the less.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big Ed funny you mention the 8.8, i horse traded a buddy an 02 explorer rear a few months ago to swap into his 71 Dart (i got a T56 6-speed out of the deal). i helped him chop the axle tube and we picked up another short axle for 20 bucks at the local u-pull-it. he's getting a posi from Summit for it. we made a few measurements and figure he will be able to tuck a 10" wheel with a little inner fender work. it's gonna be sweet. i thought about doing the swap on my T/A, but i did the Blazer rear disc swap on my 3:43 limited slip 10 bolt instead. a lot less work since all i wanted it for was the rear disc brakes. some things are "relatively inexpensive", but not many. now if i could only find such a deal on LS engines.... ;-)
Old 12-30-2013, 06:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tell me about it on the engines. Too bad we don't have a stack of cash around $5k and the time to sit at local u-pull-it yards to just pluck engines as they roll into the place...

I would do it for a whole day if I had $2k and could convince them to let me bring a generator and 2 sawzalls and a 30 pack of metal blades. Plus a compressor and an air tool kit. I could make short work of getting an engine/trans combo out, even my fat *** by myself!!
Old 12-30-2013, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

in November I had 21 ls based engines complete. now im down to only 11.
Old 12-30-2013, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

and where do you work at and who is paying for these engines?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

I own a machine shop that specializes in Porsche 911's in rural Oklahoma. I pay for them myself... lol.

Originally Posted by BigEd_72455
and where do you work at and who is paying for these engines?
Old 12-30-2013, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981TA
2nd gen f-bodies are very nose-heavy to begin with, so almost anything can do to reduce weight up front would be a change for the better, especially if you are gonna try making your car handle well. I'm a bit biased (check my signature block), but I'd go the aluminum block route. The 5.3s can take a lot of abuse, and aluminum versions can be found way cheaper than their bigger displacement brethren.
my thoughts exactly , hell with longtubes and a crossover your at your horse power goals with a stock tune , id look for a low mile pullout , but all i have seen are a bit more than quoted here , you will be saving at least 100 lbs over your stock setup if yoou keep the factory intake , or get an ls1 or ls6 intake
Old 12-30-2013, 09:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cobalt964
I own a machine shop that specializes in Porsche 911's in rural Oklahoma. I pay for them myself... lol.
Well hell, you better get you some inventory built back up. Its too bad no one offers the LS1/6 car intakes aftermarket without them costing a damn arm and leg... grab a few of those for truck engines and they would be ready to run out the gate.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:16 AM
Staging Lane

i hate you guys, most of the car "enthusiasts" in my area are virtual dumb-asses. when i talk "shop" in general most just look at me like a dog would when you make weird *** noises. i started a media blasting business (Central Louisiana Hydroblasting) a few months ago which supports my "habit" and helps to meet more like minded guys, so now i get to see builds in various stages of progress. LS talk is near non-existent for the most part here, and the guys that have them really have no idea how they got there, just that they sent the car to someone and lots of money was involved.
Old 12-31-2013, 01:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Poncho72
i hate you guys, most of the car "enthusiasts" in my area are virtual dumb-asses. when i talk "shop" in general most just look at me like a dog would when you make weird *** noises. i started a media blasting business (Central Louisiana Hydroblasting) a few months ago which supports my "habit" and helps to meet more like minded guys, so now i get to see builds in various stages of progress. LS talk is near non-existent for the most part here, and the guys that have them really have no idea how they got there, just that they sent the car to someone and lots of money was involved.
It sounds like you're in a target rich environment. It's only a matter of time before you bump into someone who doesn't really know what he's got, or can't get his hands dirty, and lets it go for a song. My current LS1 cost me about $2000 by the time all was said and done. The long block came from a 2001 Corvette with only 2500 miles on it. Nice enough deal, but I topped that last spring when I scored a low mileage 2000 Z28 M6 wreck for $900.

And yes, that guy truly did not know what he had. it was one of those word-of-mouth deals, where the seller was tech-averse and avoided newfangled crap like Craigslist, eBay and e-mail.

His loss = my spare.
Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM
Staging Lane

i can only hope so.............
Old 12-31-2013, 08:23 PM
Teching In

Default L33

Hi Poncho77 and Everyone,

Just my 2 cents worth, I think you would be happier with the L33!
Looking at the bore and stroke, i think it will rev quicker than a 6.0,
be easier on gas and parts will be cheaper. I am in the process of
putting a L33 in my 78 Chevy Monza 2+2. Cant wait to get it on the
road, but I have a long way to go! The car has a rear clip, with a 9"
ford with 3:55 gears and a t-56 for a trans. Keep us informed on your
project!

Darrell
Old 01-01-2014, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

i'm loving the sound of the L33 more and more. sure would like to hear from someone that has mildly tweeked one in a car about the size of mine.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:27 PM
Staging Lane

if i go with the L33, can anyone chime in on what my best Cam choice would be for a mild mannered street car? nothing radical.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

I like the ls6 cam personally

Quick Reply: Decisions....Questions...L33, LQ4, or LQ9