Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driveshaft Vibration Problem Cured!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
If you don't have an original shaft, what difference would 180ing the shaft make? Just wondering.
I am not sure why "an original shaft" would be any different from an aftermarket. Can you explain?
Old 01-15-2014, 12:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just wondering what there was to this 180 degree thing in the first place. Seems it should be the same either way, but wondering why it might not be. Just trying to learn here from others experience while this thread is still active.
I need to deal with an osculating type vibration that starts above 60mph, which I assume is from the 1983 olds delta 88 junkyard shaft I have between my t-56 & the3.73 rear, which the shaft was I'm sure not balanced to spin that fast.

Your balancing method sounds tempting.
Old 01-15-2014, 07:20 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
I was just wondering what there was to this 180 degree thing in the first place. Seems it should be the same either way
That method works on vehicles where the pinion yoke is either a bit out of balance or is a bit untrue AND the driveshaft is also a bit off and/or untrue. The idea is to get the unbalance or off centers of the two connected units opposite one another so that they cancel out. I would not look for this to be a common solution. Things would have to be just right or this to work.

However, if you have the patience, the zip-tie and washer or the hose clamp method is money.
Old 01-15-2014, 08:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by speedtigger

As for the driveshaft, it came from PST. They have a pretty good reputation. I even took it back to them for re-balance. However, they did confide in me that their "high speed balance" is less than 3000 RPM. And, 3000 drive-shaft RPM is about where the vibration became noticeable.
Yea, I've run into a few shops that are like this... we "high-speed" balance... at 2500 rpms...

If you really want the shaft checked out, send it to Denny's; he can spin balance shafts upto 10k rpms if not higher. Most of his shafts he balances upwards of 7k.

What you did, although it works, is essentially the old-school way of balancing a driveshaft on the car.
Old 01-15-2014, 11:35 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by 97FormulaWS-6
Yea, I've run into a few shops that are like this... we "high-speed" balance... at 2500 rpms...

If you really want the shaft checked out, send it to Denny's; he can spin balance shafts upto 10k rpms if not higher. Most of his shafts he balances upwards of 7k.

What you did, although it works, is essentially the old-school way of balancing a driveshaft on the car.
I have heard other people say that they will ONLY use Denny's. That may become my rule also.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

"I am certainly not ruling out the possibility that it could be a bent or out of spec pinion yoke, but I can't agree with your logic on this one. You are suggesting that the best test for determining if the problem is the driveshaft balance is to take the rebalanced drive shaft that is not vibrating back to the shop who supplied the driveshaft that was vibrating for them to determine if it is properly balanced?"

if you added wt to what you thot to be an oob shaft and it corrected the "problem", it would stand to reason, that if the issue was really the shaft/balance, then a balance test I suggested, would show the shaft to be good to go. If it's now oob, then you actually did what someone else suggested>>> Corrected an issue other than d/s balance.
Old 01-15-2014, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

the thread title makes me think of the beach boys "good vibrations" (sorry my bad) have you checked or replaced your tranny mount? just a thought / something to try.
Old 01-19-2014, 03:07 PM
Teching In

im gonna try the washer thing thanks! i have had different shafts after the first by ri driveshaft broke in half at 120+ mph not fun! i finally run a aluminum and its way better but still not 100% been messing with that vibration since 2005 in my 67 gto and it gets old so i just kept away from long trips as it pisses me off because thats why i built the car!
Old 02-02-2014, 08:39 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by loweredd
Is the pinion yoke goofed up that bad?
Originally Posted by bczee
Seems to me, something else is out of balance and that all you did was conrect it with balancing using the drive shaft.
Originally Posted by Old Geezer
In the "FWIW" dept: I've used several of PST's driveshafts... NEVER an issue.
Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
I suspect that you have a bad pinion yoke.
Originally Posted by 59belair
turn the driveshaft 180* in the pinion yoke. if the driveshaft was the problem, it will still run smooth. if it doesn't…. you'll know that pretty quickly also.
I am certainly not ruling out the possibility that it could be a bent or out of spec pinion yoke
So, I put a dial indicator on the pinion yoke and driveshaft today when I was installing new shocks. The yoke, in fact, has .013"-.017" runout depending on where you take the measurements. And, as you might expect, the weight that I added was directly opposite to the high side of the runout. So, it looks like it is time for a new pinion yoke.

This is good news for a couple reasons. 1. Yokes are cheaper than driveshafts and 2. I always thought I had one of the better driveshaft shops right here local and that may still be true.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,446 Likes on 912 Posts

Keep up posted.

Andrew
Old 02-02-2014, 11:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to see you might have found the root cause. .keep us posted...

BC
Old 02-03-2014, 10:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 599 Likes on 475 Posts

Glad to see you are going the correct fix VS. just bandaid the problem.

i say "thanks" to Andrew ( Project GatTagO )
Old 02-03-2014, 09:23 PM
SSZ
TECH Fanatic

Eager to see the results with the new pinion yoke. Hopefully all is right afterward.
Old 02-03-2014, 09:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heck, that might be worth .1 in the quarter mile.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Glad to see you are going the correct fix VS. just bandaid the problem.

i say "thanks" to Andrew ( Project GatTagO )
Well...thanks...

I just have experience with this sort of thing and I went round and round with my own junk. These old cars and driveline components just weren't designed to be spun at the speeds that we are spinning them, especially when we use low gears and over drive transmissions!

The next time I redo my GTO, I will use CV joints at both the rear and the transmission. New RWD cars don't use u-joints and haven't for many years.

Andrew
Old 08-25-2014, 09:36 PM
Old School Heavy

Just wanted to follow up on this for those who are interested in the resolution. I replaced the pinion yoke finally while freshening up the rear end. Now I have less than 5 thousandths runout on the driveshaft. I removed the additional weights that I previously added to compensate for the old bad pinion yoke. The car is now smooth as silk and 100% vibration free.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just wanted to follow up on this for those who are interested in the resolution. I replaced the pinion yoke finally while freshening up the rear end. Now I have less than 5 thousandths runout on the driveshaft. I removed the additional weights that I previously added to compensate for the old bad pinion yoke. The car is now smooth as silk and 100% vibration free.
Thanks for the follow-up. Looks like my assessment was pretty good...LOL

People discount the pinion yoke as a possible source of vibration, but it is amazing how just a few thousands of an inch can make such a huge difference. There is a reason that NASCAR rear ends are checked for pinion run-out. G-Force transmission actually sells a special tool that mounts in place of the u-joints just for this purpose. It is only available for 1350 u-joints and is stupid expensive, but every NASCAR shop has one because those driveshafts spin at 9-10K RPM for 500 miles and if there is something "off" it will self destruct.

You can see the tool at the bottom of this page:

http://www.gforcetransmissions.com/accessories.asp

Andrew

Quick Reply: Driveshaft Vibration Problem Cured!