Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help with a LS1 swap into a 91 1/2 ton chevy truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help with a LS1 swap into a 91 1/2 ton chevy truck

Well a friend and I just purchased a 2001 engine and tranny and computer with all the works, just wondering who all has done the conversion and what all is need to make it work in the truck. Please give me specifics on companys and cost. I have everything off the motor including AC ALT Starter and all. Just need to know all the details to make the swap go as easy as possible.

Mike
Old 05-15-2004, 05:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Sounds Like a Great Swap!

I am installing a 2001 LS1 4L60E into a 1996 Full Size shortbed, thats been lowered, etc... My LS1 was from an F-Body, so I converted the drivers side accessories to the stock Corvette pieces, lost the factory air compressor & bought a Sanden unit(with all the pulleys,etc...that go with it), from Street & Performance. This accessories conversion brings everything up high, away from the frame rails & crossmember. All this stuff just bolts on. I also purchased & installed S & P's thermal-coated headers for a "G"-body car. They fit pretty good. The oil pan clearance is not a problem. I installed my engine as low & as far back as possible. The driveshaft had to be shortened/balanced slightly, no big deal. I fabricated a new transmission cross-member, but probably could have used the Factory unit. The motor mounts were simple to fabricate out of 1/4" flat stock material. I bolted them to the block & to the Factory frame mounts. Sorry, no templates available. I am degreasing the complete frame forward of the cab & painted everything with a great epoxy product called "P.O.R." chassis paint. It brushes on & flows out perfect, with a semi-gloss finish.I have replaced all the rubber bushings in the truck, with "Energy-Suspension" red urethene bushings, installed both front & rear "Bell-Tech" sway-bars, KYB Mono-Tube Performance shocks on all corners, Super-C sectioned the rear frame, air-bagged the rear, installed an Eaton Posi unit, etc, etc, etc...I am at the stage of figuring out the wiring. I don't know what to do about the multi-wire main plug coming out of the drivers side firewall & how to tie this into the engine harness. Also the passenger side firewall plugs & how to tie them in? I have decided to send my computer & engine harness to John@SpearTech for modification, but will have to call him about tying it all together. Hope this helps. Ask away, if you have any specific questions. Gar
Old 05-16-2004, 08:41 PM
Teching In

what is the contact info for Street & Performance? I am doing this swap into my jeep and need the ac compressor.
Old 05-16-2004, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

www.hotrodlane.cc

Quick Reply: Need help with a LS1 swap into a 91 1/2 ton chevy truck