Sponsored by:

TCM compatibility with different generation 6L80 - Ford F-1 swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default TCM compatibility with different generation 6L80 - Ford F-1 swap

Hi All,
I've got a L92 / 6L80 (from a 2007 Denali) that I've been installing in my Ford F-1 (1951). This is my conversion here: https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A855Z2WMGOKzTn

As part of my conversion, I had the trans converted to 2WD from 4WD, which required swapping output shafts. It was working when I bought it, but after the conversion, it is not (no FWD gears). The shop that did the work is trying to determine the resolution. I'm not so confident in the shop.

My help thread on LS1tech is here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic...d-f1-swap.html

HERE'S MY QUESTION:
Can I buy a used 6L80, 2WD and swap the TCM (which is part of an OEM matched set)?
Or are Gen 1 6L80 and Gen 2 6L80s valve bodies not compatible with the different TCMs?

If i buy a used one, I'd rather go for a later version, assuming I can swap in the TCM.

Thank you so much!

Doug
Old 02-12-2014, 09:14 AM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would give John at Speartech a call. He is the leader in doing these type of swaps.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As to the other thread it does appear there was an assembly problem causing a mechanical issue. Remember the E38ecm must match the transmission control module. Best to do same year and vehicle in for both. So if the E38 ecm is out of a 2007 Denali then the transmission should be programed for a 2007 vehicle. Easier to program a E38ecm to match the transmission. You can delete 4wd in the tune.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1989GTA
As to the other thread it does appear there was an assembly problem causing a mechanical issue. Remember the E38ecm must match the transmission control module. Best to do same year and vehicle in for both. So if the E38 ecm is out of a 2007 Denali then the transmission should be programed for a 2007 vehicle. Easier to program a E38ecm to match the transmission. You can delete 4wd in the tune.
Bingo! The operating system of the ECM/TCM must be compatible, or you are asking for trouble...
Old 02-12-2014, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Bingo! The operating system of the ECM/TCM must be compatible, or you are asking for trouble...
Guys,
I appreciate your responses.

Yes, I have a matched set between my engine and trans from the GM factory. It occurred to me that it might make sense to buy a used Gen II 6L80 and move the computer over (TCM).
Does anyone know specifically: Is my early TCM compatible with a later trans?

The E38 was tuned as part of the harness conversion to stand-alone. But that was done remotely and mailed to me. Could the fact that the trans TCM wasn't re-flashed for 2WD (from 4WD) cause Limp Home Mode?
Thank you!

Doug

Quick Reply: TCM compatibility with different generation 6L80 - Ford F-1 swap