Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

72 Nova / LQ4 / T56 Magnum - aka Phil Collins Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'm curious as I know others will be wanting to do the same install behind the Hooker headers as well. What you're attempting is the only way that the fitment of such combinations can be determined as we as manufacturers typically do not perform installs of competitor's products with our own.

Todd, Sebtarta, here's my experience with the Pypes to Hooker mid tubes.

Laid out on the floor beforehand.

Pypes Race Pro mufflers - straight through, offset mufflers. Supposedly more quiet than their Street Pro mufflers, and definitely more quiet than the Violators. I can't wait to hear the system when the engine fires for the first time.

We had to make up roughly 4" extensions to get the two systems to mate up because without them, the x pipe would have been roughly in the middle of the trans crossmember. I'm not sure if the long tubes come out any further past the mid tubes + collector extensions I'm running? If so, that may solve that problem for everyone else running the long tubes. Other than that, it went pretty easily mating the two systems as everything pretty much lined right up.

I had to measure and cut the back of the x for muffler placement, and it looks like I won't be running the second half of the tail pipes that connect above the axle and run out the back due to really awkward fitment (aka, I don't like it and think the tails look bad). The instructions were poor and included my dad's favorite line... "If you so choose, custom hangers may be fabricated, let your creativity shine..." I wasn't too impressed with that one, which is probably because my dad thought it was hilarious. Overall, it hangs up nice and tight and will probably sound great, but there is definitely some assembly required. There's no chance I'm pulling this system off, but I'm intrigued to see what the full Hooker system looks like. I need to get back over to Sebtarta's thread and read his again, as I think he already attempted an install.

Underside shot of the exhaust all mocked up, less previously mentioned back-half of tailpipes. I'm waiting till the driveshaft gets made and installed to clamp it down. Clearance will be tight. The entire exhaust system from headers to mufflers tucks up higher than the lowest point of the transmission and oil pan, so I'm in pretty good shape to achieve my goal hopefully not having to worry too much about scraping the exhaust on everything. The trans mount cutouts were really nice to work with for routing the exhaust, helping the Pypes system tuck up nice and tight.

Also, here is where the front of the tailpipes come out by the gas tank. Since I'm not going to be running the Pypes tails, I'll have to come up with something from here to behind the wheel well to tuck the exhaust up into the quarter as much as I can. If I wasn't about to run the Tanks Inc kit and run new gas lines, I wouldn't be happy with how close this runs to the stock fuel lines.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by sixgunsuperman99
Todd, Sebtarta, here's my experience with the Pypes to Hooker mid tubes.

Laid out on the floor beforehand.

Pypes Race Pro mufflers - straight through, offset mufflers. Supposedly more quiet than their Street Pro mufflers, and definitely more quiet than the Violators. I can't wait to hear the system when the engine fires for the first time.

We had to make up roughly 4" extensions to get the two systems to mate up because without them, the x pipe would have been roughly in the middle of the trans crossmember. I'm not sure if the long tubes come out any further past the mid tubes + collector extensions I'm running? If so, that may solve that problem for everyone else running the long tubes. Other than that, it went pretty easily mating the two systems as everything pretty much lined right up.

I had to measure and cut the back of the x for muffler placement, and it looks like I won't be running the second half of the tail pipes that connect above the axle and run out the back due to really awkward fitment (aka, I don't like it and think the tails look bad). The instructions were poor and included my dad's favorite line... "If you so choose, custom hangers may be fabricated, let your creativity shine..." I wasn't too impressed with that one, which is probably because my dad thought it was hilarious. Overall, it hangs up nice and tight and will probably sound great, but there is definitely some assembly required. There's no chance I'm pulling this system off, but I'm intrigued to see what the full Hooker system looks like. I need to get back over to Sebtarta's thread and read his again, as I think he already attempted an install.

Underside shot of the exhaust all mocked up, less previously mentioned back-half of tailpipes. I'm waiting till the driveshaft gets made and installed to clamp it down. Clearance will be tight. The entire exhaust system from headers to mufflers tucks up higher than the lowest point of the transmission and oil pan, so I'm in pretty good shape to achieve my goal hopefully not having to worry too much about scraping the exhaust on everything. The trans mount cutouts were really nice to work with for routing the exhaust, helping the Pypes system tuck up nice and tight.

Also, here is where the front of the tailpipes come out by the gas tank. Since I'm not going to be running the Pypes tails, I'll have to come up with something from here to behind the wheel well to tuck the exhaust up into the quarter as much as I can. If I wasn't about to run the Tanks Inc kit and run new gas lines, I wouldn't be happy with how close this runs to the stock fuel lines.

Thanks for sharing your experience sixgunsuperman99. From the photos you've posted, I can list some of the key differences between the Pypes system and the Hooker system...

1.)The Pypes X-pipe is constructed on a single plane, which causes itself and the mufflers to hang lower than the Hooker system; the X-pipe outlet tubes of the Hooker system angle upwards behind the crossover to get the tubing and mufflers as high as possible to maximize ground clearance.

2.) The Pypes mufflers are MIG welded 409ss compared to the TIG welded 304ss mufflers of the Hooker system.

3.) The clamps in the Pypes system are mild steel U-bolt clamps compared the stainless steel Torca band clamps in the Hooker system.

4.) The Hooker system includes all the hangers needed for installation and does not require you to "get creative" to make additional hangers as per the Pypes instructions.

5.) The Hooker system does not require the use of the 4" long adapters you needed to use to connect to the Hooker headers/mid-pipes.

6.) I suspect the positioning of the Pypes mufflers will limit the diameter of the driveshaft you can run with it to around 3"; The Hooker system will accommodate up to a 3.5" diameter shaft in a stock to moderately lowered car and up to a 4" shaft in a slammed pro touring type car.

Let me know how your final install turns out...you ended up doing quite overall I'd say.
Old 05-18-2014, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Small update:

AC Delco 12628025 L99 belt tensioner installed and 6K1025 belt installed. I still really don't like how ridiculously high the alternator sits and wish I would have done that a little differently, but this should get me up and running. The engine is looking much better with the harmonic balancer replaced as well.

Driveshaft is back from the shop and ready to go in.

Getting close...er. Probably going to miss Power Tour, but trying like hell to make it.
Old 05-18-2014, 01:11 PM
On The Tree

Lokar TCB-40LS1 cable bracket installed onto the intake manifold, along with the Lokar throttle cable hooked up to my gas pedal and fully functional.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:56 AM
On The Tree

We've set the front end back on to mock up some pieces to get an idea if my plans were going to work.

Definitely a good amount of clearance between the core support and the motor.

The Griffin 8-00009-LS 69 Camaro radiator sitting roughly in place with the the LS1 Camaro fans being held up. Obviously have to modify fans yet, but just making sure everything fits in the engine bay before anything gets cut up. Looking promising.

Pretty decent amount of clearance I think. Also confirmed that the hood will in fact shut and easily clear with the new Holley stuff and the giant truck accessories.

And one of the moments I've been waiting on... Finally getting to see how the drop springs, LS iron block, and Chevelle SS wheels were all going to combine and what it'd look like. I have literally had this combination in mind for a year and finally get to see it. I've been hunting for the polished trim rings these came with on the Chevelles, but I think this look is growing on me. I had to brighten the picture up so it's washed out, but I think the car looks pretty mean and has a nice little stance! I can't wait to see it in the (hopefully not too far off) future when I find some 18's and get better/bigger brakes on it.

I picked up a 2005 GTO cold air intake (Spectre 9906) off a hunch that fitment may be in the neighborhood. It's not really the look I was going for, but it should look pretty decent under there for now at not that much money. My clearances are going to change once the front clip gets fully bolted on and we get the radiator/fans mounted, but it looks like this shouldn't require too much work to make fit.

From the passenger fender.

From the driver fender, where the air filter is going to be roughly behind the headlight area. I figure this has to have a chance at drawing in colder air than any of the square filters that run straight off the throttle body and draw air in directly behind the radiator. It sounds good in theory at least.

Old 06-08-2014, 12:48 PM
Teching In

Good looking build.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 596 Likes on 473 Posts

Nice progress!!

Quick Reply: 72 Nova / LQ4 / T56 Magnum - aka Phil Collins Build Thread