Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 08:45 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribed
Old 02-20-2014, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I have my fingers crossed that there will be clearance and I will not have to notch anything but we will find out. If it turns out I do have to notch something I will decide if I want to notch the subframe or oil pan at that point.

Originally Posted by Stovebolter
I'll be watching with enthusiasm. I think you'll be happy with the overall engineering of the True Turn system. I am. It works well with OEM drivetrain anyway.

Modifying oil pan or notching the subframe?
Old 03-02-2014, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I received a MAST Motorsports pan this week, have my plastic mock up block on hand, just waiting for the Holley Mounts and Headers to check the fit with the Ride Tech TruTurn Steering.

I have looked at all the pictures that Todd has posted of his cars that he has been test fitting and researching. Althought I don't have the mounts in yet to completely bolt this all together, i believe I have placed the engine in a very close position to where the Holley mounts will put it. Its 1.5" off the fire wall. I also lined up the upper control arm bolts with the spark plug and exhaust ports are based off Todds pictures.

If this is all roughly correct, there is plenty of clearance with the mast pan. I am leaving Tuesday for Detroit Autorama and will be gone all week since we are bringing a car up there and then have to tow it all the way back to Florida. I will hopefully have all the pieces by the time I get back and I will get a 100% confirmation.

Here are a couple quick iPhone pics that I took for reference.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:01 PM
Teching In

I am certain I speak for many of us when I say that I certainly appreciate your efforts with this. It will remove the guesswork and solve the final piece of the puzzle. Thanks!!
Old 03-02-2014, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im Happy to do it and both Mast and Holley have been great to work with and very receptive to checking the fitment of these items.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:24 AM
Staging Lane

Keeping an eye on this thread, like others have said thanks for the work you're doing!
Old 03-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Very interested to see what your results are as I will have the same set up as you. I'm tyring to figure out how this builder got his Holley pan to work with his Tru Turn http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ld-in-PA/page2 ALso, a little off topic, but what wheel-tire combo are you running up front? That is a big topic of debate elsewhere as well.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by jlwdvm
Very interested to see what your results are as I will have the same set up as you. I'm tyring to figure out how this builder got his Holley pan to work with his Tru Turn http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ld-in-PA/page2 ALso, a little off topic, but what wheel-tire combo are you running up front? That is a big topic of debate elsewhere as well.
I can answer your question about the Holley pan easily...the pan used in that thread is the original Holley 302-1 pan, which has a sump that is about 2" shorter than the now Holley 302-2 pan. The original 302-1 pan is only bolt-in compatible with the new Hooker 1st-gen F-body engine mounting kit and headers if you are willing/able to notch the subframe crossmember to clear the pan, since the height at its front edge is more than an inch higher than the new 302-2 pan. The302-1 pan is clearing the subframe set-up used in the link you provided due to the factory frame stands and swap plates being used, which place the engine higher in the frame (bad for U-joint angles) than it will sit using the new Hooker engine mount kit. That's it is a nutshell.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:48 AM
Teching In

It looks like the bottom of the sump on the Mast pan is 8.84" long and the Holley302 pan is 9.76" long. Both pans must angle backwards from the top of the sump to the bottom (the top of the Mast sump is 9.03", not sure on the Holley). There is 0.92" more room available for the Tru Turn adapter according to my calculations and if I am reading the pan schematics right. I'm not sure how much interference there is with the adapter and the Holley pan, but maybe this is enough to make the Mast pan work. Also, hoping that whatever pan is used that we don't have the tie rod ends hitting the pan!

Last edited by jlwdvm; 03-04-2014 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

It looks like the bottom of the sump on the Mast pan is 8.84" long and the Holley302 pan is 9.76" long. Both pans must angle backwards from the top of the sump to the bottom (the top of the Mast sump is 9.03", not sure on the Holley). There is 0.92" more room available for the Tru Turn adapter according to my calculations and if I am reading the pan schematics right. I'm not sure how much interference there is with the adapter and the Holley pan, but maybe this is enough to make the Mast pan work. Also, hoping that whatever pan is used that we don't have the tie rod ends hitting the pan!
This exercise should conclusively answer these questions for you guys wanting to run the Ridetech parts with the new Hooker engine mount kit and headers for this LS swap application.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im just waiting on my parts to arrive from Hooker/Holley and ill have an answer for everyone.

Todd, anyway you can get me tracking info and PM it to me?
Old 03-04-2014, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

I decided to keep it safe. Running 19x9 and 265s up front. Plenty of clearance to the frame. Not sure how the inner fenders will do yet but thats a simple fix if needed.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dub Silverado
Im just waiting on my parts to arrive from Hooker/Holley and ill have an answer for everyone.

Todd, anyway you can get me tracking info and PM it to me?
Tracking number sent (scheduled for arrival tomorrow)...good luck and take plenty of photos and measurements for everyone.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome! This is very exciting! I should be able to get it all bolted up no later than thursday evening.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:24 PM
On The Tree

Ok so I got my engine in tonight but I was not able to get the transmission and crossmember in. I will try to get that in tomorrow night but its going to be close. The steering cleared the 302-2 pan but I am not sure if my angles are correct. This is what a 2x4 between the head engine and firewall. There is maybe a 1/8 between the steering and oil pan.
Attached Thumbnails New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn-img_4026.jpg  
Old 03-04-2014, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

If the mast pan will clear the cross member then that may be the solution.
Old 03-04-2014, 07:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Based on calculations the mast pan will clear the cross member no problem. My mounts will be here tomorrow. I will work on it tomorrow night and see how it goes.
Old 03-04-2014, 11:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cwylie
Ok so I got my engine in tonight but I was not able to get the transmission and crossmember in. I will try to get that in tomorrow night but its going to be close. The steering cleared the 302-2 pan but I am not sure if my angles are correct. This is what a 2x4 between the head engine and firewall. There is maybe a 1/8 between the steering and oil pan.
Hey cwylie, is that picture with your steering at full lock, or in the neutral center position? Your other option is to notch the Hooker pan slightly to match the pan length of the Mast pan if you want me to do that for you as I offered before. Remember that the mast pan does not bolt up to the transmission as the OE and Holley pans do, so if that feature is important to you the notch will provide it. Let me know how it goes for you.

Todd
Old 03-05-2014, 07:09 AM
On The Tree

That's at full lock. It's close. I will try to get the transmission in tonight
Old 03-05-2014, 09:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by cwylie
That's at full lock. It's close. I will try to get the transmission in tonight
Do you have the same amount of clearance on the other side when at full lock in the other direction? Have you installed the headers yet?

Quick Reply: New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn