Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2016, 12:47 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Hey Josh, just so you're aware , the Hooker 2288HKR long-tube headers that you are referring to are completely different than the newer long-tubes that were developed as part of the complete Hooker 1st-gen LS swap system. The new long-tubes are compatible with the Tru-Turn and are the ones Stovebolter has installed on his car.
Old 03-28-2016, 05:20 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Josh. All of my Holley products work with your product perfectly. My issue was with the location of my wheels within the wheel opening. I placed it in the wrong post and jumbled up and confused everyone. I apologize. Bret had me call in and speak with Rodney and we have everything cleared up and taken care of. Again, Thanks.

Originally Posted by RidetechJosh
You're welcome to call me directly, I've got a list of questions that I'd like to ask you. I positive that I can help you pinpoint where all of your issues are coming from. 812-481-4734 is my direct line, I'm here from 8-6 eastern time. If you want to post your questions in a thread, I'll be happy to answer them there as well!

With there being a ton of of different options to use on the pan and the headers, we don't have a certain list that we recommend. There are several different ways that you could go. As far as a "definite will not work" with the TruTurn, the only thing that I know 100% are the Doug's headers and Hooker Super Comps (Super Comps issues were on a SBC/BBC). With the way that these are designed, they will definitely come into contact with the tie rods. Obviously, modifications could be made but that's never fun unless you're a fabricator, yourself!

I'm not positive if this has been posted here previously but here is a link to the parts lists/build thread from when we did our 48 Hour Camaro. It was using the Hooker 1 3/4" headers and a Holley pan as well.

http://www.ridetech.com/48hourcamaro/parts-list/

If anyone has any questions, feel free to get with me. I'm more than happy to help out!

Last edited by Stovebolter; 03-28-2016 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stovebolter
Thanks Josh. All of my Holley products work with your product perfectly. My issue was with the location of my wheels within the wheel opening. I placed it in the wrong post and jumbled up and confused everyone. I apologize. Bret had me call in and speak with Rodney and we have everything cleared up and taken care of. Again, Thanks.
Not a problem at all! I did see where you posted on Lateral G and Pro-Touring as well (after I saw this thread). I'm glad they got you taken care of!
Old 04-02-2016, 10:39 PM
On The Tree

They took good care of me and my issue is corrected. On a note related to the actual thread..... I cannot express enough how happy I am with the Holley system. Mounts, headers, x-member and HP EFI. Great stuff IMO.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:42 PM
Teching In

I figured I would ask in here since there has been a recent reply. At what point in production where the Hooker headers modified to fit the tru turn? I ordered my Holley components mid 2015. I am interested in using the tru turn with my ridetech suspension. Also, I see it being said that the pan will need to be modified but it seems everyone's fit without doing so? Also has anyone actually clearances the ridetech bracket instead? My car is together and finished so modding the pan isn't really an option lol.
Old 05-06-2016, 08:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by OmenNova
I figured I would ask in here since there has been a recent reply. At what point in production where the Hooker headers modified to fit the tru turn? I ordered my Holley components mid 2015. I am interested in using the tru turn with my ridetech suspension. Also, I see it being said that the pan will need to be modified but it seems everyone's fit without doing so? Also has anyone actually clearances the ridetech bracket instead? My car is together and finished so modding the pan isn't really an option lol.
I made the revision to the one non-compatible tube last year, but I don't recall the actual date. If you can post up a photo of your passenger side header Imay be able to identify it for you as being built before or after the design revision. Some guys are getting the clearance needed by using a specific pitman arm and idler arm that are longer than shorter versions that were also used to build these cars.
Old 05-06-2016, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Ok I appreciate it. I'll post a pic up after work of the header. I noticed the pn for the arms, has there been anyone that you know of that didn't need the longer arms? Just trying to get everything straight before hand. Since the car is basically done I want the tru turn to be a quickly done project.
Old 05-07-2016, 06:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Ok I appreciate it. I'll post a pic up after work of the header. I noticed the pn for the arms, has there been anyone that you know of that didn't need the longer arms? Just trying to get everything straight before hand. Since the car is basically done I want the tru turn to be a quickly done project.
I don't think the TruTurn center link adapter will clear the pan on full lock turns without the longer pitman/idler arms. Forum member cwylie is the only one I know who's used the longer components, so you may want to sent him a PM for better clarification.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:04 PM
Teching In

A little dark but I think you can tell which set it is lol

Last edited by OmenNova; 05-12-2016 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Auto-correct
Old 05-13-2016, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

A little dark but I think you can tell which set it is lol

I can't see enough of the header to be able to identify it.
Old 05-13-2016, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Hard to get a good angle lol. Maybe these will work?

Old 05-14-2016, 06:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Hard to get a good angle lol. Maybe these will work?

The specific area I need to see is not shown in your photos. It will be easier for me to take and post some photos on Monday for you that show the difference between the old and revised bend geometry, which you can use to determine what geometry is present in your right side header.
Old 07-18-2016, 03:35 PM

Hey All. So I am about to embark upon this very journey. I am building my car very similar to the builds in the thread. Just want to make sure nothing has changed since the thread had started. I have a 69 camaro running full ridetech suspension with tru turn and muscle bar. I read the muscle bar is still unknown per what I read. The engine I am using a gen 3 LQ9 6.0 and a t-56 trans. Looking at running camaro front accessories. I want to buy once. Is the holley kit going to get me there Many thanks all in advance! - Matt (camaro69x11)
Old 03-30-2018, 03:00 PM

Reviving the thread. How does this all play now that the new 302-3 pan is out. Does this pan fit just as well with the new hooker mounts just giving more tie rod end clearance with the clipped corners?
Old 03-30-2018, 03:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jonjon67
Reviving the thread. How does this all play now that the new 302-3 pan is out. Does this pan fit just as well with the new hooker mounts just giving more tie rod end clearance with the clipped corners?
That is one of the benefits of using the Holley 302-3 oil pan in this application, the other two would be its increased stroke compatibility and the inclusion of the turbo drain-back ports.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:06 PM

Thanks Todd, I've read through just about all the post on this topic. Your post have been tremendously helpful. I'm thinking this is the direction I'm going. I should have all the pieces gathered in the next few weeks or so then try the fitment. I'll post as I do so others can learn.
Old 03-30-2018, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Yes, feel free to post your results as it adds to the knowledge base for this application.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:34 PM
Teching In

Be careful Jonjon67. I am in the middle of trying to install tru-turn on my 69 Camaro with the Holley LS swap kit and it won’t clear the Holley Blackheart Long Tube LS swap headers. The Holley engineers are telling me that a change in the tru-turn components has rendered them incompatible and I am SOL. I have already bolted up the RideTech system and purchased Forgeline GA1R’s and Wilwood brakes to go with the RideTech stuff and none of it will work unless I get rid of the Holley headers, motor mounts, and T56 crossmember. I dropped close to $20k based on the compatibility of these parts that Holley braggs up on these forums and they just decided today that the parts are not compatible.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tfbartley
Be careful Jonjon67. I am in the middle of trying to install tru-turn on my 69 Camaro with the Holley LS swap kit and it won’t clear the Holley Blackheart Long Tube LS swap headers. The Holley engineers are telling me that a change in the tru-turn components has rendered them incompatible and I am SOL. I have already bolted up the RideTech system and purchased Forgeline GA1R’s and Wilwood brakes to go with the RideTech stuff and none of it will work unless I get rid of the Holley headers, motor mounts, and T56 crossmember. I dropped close to $20k based on the compatibility of these parts that Holley braggs up on these forums and they just decided today that the parts are not compatible.
Tfbartly, I empathize with your feeling of frustration with compatibility between the parts. It seems as though the new design centerlink being supplied with the Tru-Turn system has re-introduced the interference between the inner tie rod ends and the headers that I worked on to overcome with the original design center link adapter back in 2015.

Your emails to Holley were the first time it was brought to our attention that Ridetech had changed the design of that component and because of that, we will be editing the web listings of the headers to make note of that.

I have done some further checking into the matter over on the pro-touring forum, where quite a few guys have installed the Tru-Turn and Holley swap system together without issue. The common characteristics between those builds appears to be that they are all using the older Tru-Turn set-up with the bolt-on center link adapter bracket.

The longer 5.8" Pitman arm that was supposedly used on the 1967 year model cars also seems to have provided extra clearance that some of those guys needed to make everything work together. That may provide a fix for you as well.

Hooker Blackheart mid-length headers are also available for your application that will clear your steering without any issues.

I will be reporting this discovery to product management to see if there is interest in revising the geometry of the headers to regain the lost compatibility, but I don't know what the answer will be at this point in time.

Again, I feel your frustration and hope you come to a satisfactory conclusion to your issue.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:30 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default tru turn

Originally Posted by RidetechJosh

Josh sent you a private message if you have time. thanks

Quick Reply: New Hooker/Holley 1st-gen parts compatibility with Ridetech TruTurn