Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

73 Camaro L92 Swap

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 07:40 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope that harness works out good for you! As for the hood clearance...when I did mine, I tried it with the truck intake and it was a no go. I even had a 4 1/2 cowl hood on it. So I went with the normal car style and all was good. If you don't mind notching under the hood, it might fit.
Old 05-22-2014, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking real good!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sako
Looking Good.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by CBM Motorsports
Hope that harness works out good for you! As for the hood clearance...when I did mine, I tried it with the truck intake and it was a no go. I even had a 4 1/2 cowl hood on it. So I went with the normal car style and all was good. If you don't mind notching under the hood, it might fit.
Thanks Sean! We put the hood on and it actually cleared fine. I was more worried about the intake and alternator but the hood closes fine. What a head ache it would have been if it didn't close.

Originally Posted by Seymor Butts
Looking real good!
Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 02:08 PM
Staging Lane

Engine bay shot

With hood on

Autometer dash that I will be using
Old 05-26-2014, 02:19 PM
Staging Lane

Car is done and driveable minus a couple of codes it's throwing. It will not idle for more than 5-10 seconds before shutting off.

P060D: Internal Control Module Accelerator Pedal Position Performance

P2138: Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch D/E Voltage Correlation

Had a spare throttle body laying around so we swapped them and it did not make a difference.

After looking a bit online I found this link pertaining to the first code

http://hsv-gts.ls2.com/0506GTODTC/DTC%20P060D.pdf

which says to change the pedal and if that doesn't work then to change the ecm.

The second code into google led me to this useful link

http://asx.2de.ru/13/html/M113115100527600ENG.HTM

Says either bad contact or bad pedal position sensor, problem with the harness, or problem with the ecm.

Anyone ever run into this type of problem? I don't have a spare pedal or ecm to swap out to verify.

Thanks guys
Old 06-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Launching!

Nice progress on this one. Its been a while since I have been on this site. I am getting the bug again and I know its a disease like alcohol or drugs. I was looking at a 2nd gen firebird with a 403 olds and was thinking of doing something like this on a very low budget. Does the truck power steering pump work and clear the steering box? What water pump are you using? Are you planning to run AC? Do you think the truck alternator would clear the stock hood? What setup are you using on the gas tank and fuel pump sender unit? I have allready applied for a new credit card with a high credit limit and no interest for 12 months hopefully $5,000. That is my advise to anyone doing one of these swaps.Thank you in advance for any replies.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What ECM (year and vehicle) are you running and what pedal are you using?j What is the harness modeled after?
Old 06-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by StickSS
Nice progress on this one. Its been a while since I have been on this site. I am getting the bug again and I know its a disease like alcohol or drugs. I was looking at a 2nd gen firebird with a 403 olds and was thinking of doing something like this on a very low budget. Does the truck power steering pump work and clear the steering box? What water pump are you using? Are you planning to run AC? Do you think the truck alternator would clear the stock hood? What setup are you using on the gas tank and fuel pump sender unit? I have allready applied for a new credit card with a high credit limit and no interest for 12 months hopefully $5,000. That is my advise to anyone doing one of these swaps.Thank you in advance for any replies.
No AC and the engine was dropped in without any clearance issues. Alternator and pumps are all oem and in original mounting positions. I don't think the alternator would clear under a stock hood. I got my gas tank, pump, and sending unit from Tanks Inc. Great company. $5,000 may be doable if you shop around for parts, check salvage yards out and do all of the work yourself. New parts add up fast.

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
What ECM (year and vehicle) are you running and what pedal are you using?j What is the harness modeled after?
I believe it's an E67 provided by Custom Built Motors. I bought my harness, ecm, and pedal through them.
Old 06-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

An update to this build: Sean from CBM has been very helpful with helping me trouble shoot this bad girl. He sent me a different ECM and that got rid of both codes. The car is, however, throwing a different code now. The car will idle for a bit and then sputter out and die (same issue that it previously had).

It throws a P0108 which indicates an issue with the MAP Sensor. Car will not turn on if that sensor is disconnected. Replacing the sensor with a new one did not help. MAP sensor voltage with Key On Car Off reads 5.0V.

From the info I've gathered online, one of two probable causes is a vacuum leak or a short in the harness.

Also, I bought FAST 65lb injectors from Texas Speed that were supposedly for an L92 but they are waay smaller than the stockers. Any ideas?

Anyone have any additional input or advice? Much appreciated.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NemeCes
An update to this build: Sean from CBM has been very helpful with helping me trouble shoot this bad girl. He sent me a different ECM and that got rid of both codes. The car is, however, throwing a different code now. The car will idle for a bit and then sputter out and die (same issue that it previously had).

It throws a P0108 which indicates an issue with the MAP Sensor. Car will not turn on if that sensor is disconnected. Replacing the sensor with a new one did not help. MAP sensor voltage with Key On Car Off reads 5.0V.

From the info I've gathered online, one of two probable causes is a vacuum leak or a short in the harness.

Also, I bought FAST 65lb injectors from Texas Speed that were supposedly for an L92 but they are waay smaller than the stockers. Any ideas?

Anyone have any additional input or advice? Much appreciated.
Did you change the new flow rate in the tune for the injectors? Do you have the correct calibration in the tune for the Map sensor (linear and offset)?
Old 06-10-2014, 11:05 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod
Did you change the new flow rate in the tune for the injectors? Do you have the correct calibration in the tune for the Map sensor (linear and offset)?
Yes, the tune is set for the new injectors and I'm not sure if the correct calibration was used. I assume so, it came loaded into the ECM from CBM.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Not sure why the vid uploaded upside-down but here is a vid of the first start up.

http://s8.photobucket.com/user/cesar...9503a.mp4.html
Old 07-01-2014, 05:44 AM
Staging Lane

Car has been dyno tuned by CBM. Made 427rwhp and 447 lb-ft of torque.

Special thanks to Sean and the tuner, Chris, from CBM. Was having a problem keeping the car on and they asked me to bring the car over. I took it over the next day without appointment and had her back to me in two days tuned and running.

Car sounds beastly and lights the tires up at quarter throttle anywhere under 30 mph.

Having some tranny issues. As soon as that is sorted, I'm leaning towards some 15x10 Billet Specialties Street Lites for the rear. After some research, I see backspacing ranging from 5-5.5" for 10" wide rims. Anyone have personal experience?
Old 07-01-2014, 06:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Good job on the car man! And yes, a 15X10 on a 5.5bs fits perfectly on my car. Some guys run a 5 inch bs but you can't have your tires tucked up in the wheel well and get away with it.
Old 07-01-2014, 05:43 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by GC99TA
Good job on the car man! And yes, a 15X10 on a 5.5bs fits perfectly on my car. Some guys run a 5 inch bs but you can't have your tires tucked up in the wheel well and get away with it.
Thanks! Your pro stars look really good. I'm leaning towards the billets but i'm still considering draglites or pro stars. I was thinking of running 275 60 15's out back. What do you think? Also, I plan on rolling the outer fender lip. Did you end up using any spacers?
Old 07-01-2014, 05:56 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

congrats! What was the starting issue?
I have an L92 and 6L80 I swapped in to my 1951 Ford pickup.

I'd like more info on the cold air intake, please. Did you buy that off the shelf? Did you use adapters to get the diameters right at the throttle body and MAF?

Would it be possible to measure how far offset that aluminum elbow moves from the center of the throttle body? Maybe snap a picture with a tape measure from above?

So far, I've been using the stock snorkel, MAF and air filter box with the lid cut open and mounted in the front wheel well. Not ideal, but it has worked for 1500 miles.

Thank you!

Doug
Old 07-01-2014, 05:58 PM
FormerVendor

Glad to hear its up and running good now! Not good about the trans. Hopefully its something small...

As for wheels and tires, I went with 275s with 9 1/2" wide wheels on mine without rolling the fender. On big bumps it would very slightly rub the inside part of the outer fender. Nothing a hammer didn't fix. Let me look through my notes and I will see what backspacing I used. I used to run 10.5 x 29 slicks on the track as well with no problems either.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DW SD
congrats! What was the starting issue?
I have an L92 and 6L80 I swapped in to my 1951 Ford pickup.

I'd like more info on the cold air intake, please. Did you buy that off the shelf? Did you use adapters to get the diameters right at the throttle body and MAF?

Would it be possible to measure how far offset that aluminum elbow moves from the center of the throttle body? Maybe snap a picture with a tape measure from above?

So far, I've been using the stock snorkel, MAF and air filter box with the lid cut open and mounted in the front wheel well. Not ideal, but it has worked for 1500 miles.

Thank you!

Doug
Starting issue was a small number of things: the harness was grounded to the body of the car instead of the engine, had some small vacuum leaks, and the base tune needed some tweaking.

I'm using a stock LS3 throttle body. Purchased the intake from Spectre Works. It is made for a LSX into a second gen. Using a cartridge style MAF now. (MAF is included with the intake). Had to shorten it though as it wouldn't make it all of the way behind the driver side headlight because it hit against the radiator.

I'll snap a pic when I go to the shop.

Originally Posted by CBM Motorsports
Glad to hear its up and running good now! Not good about the trans. Hopefully its something small...

As for wheels and tires, I went with 275s with 9 1/2" wide wheels on mine without rolling the fender. On big bumps it would very slightly rub the inside part of the outer fender. Nothing a hammer didn't fix. Let me look through my notes and I will see what backspacing I used. I used to run 10.5 x 29 slicks on the track as well with no problems either.
Yea, me too. Thanks for the fitment info. It's much appreciated!
Old 07-01-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Cesar,
Thank you for the info. I look forward to the picture. the MAF looks the same as my stock inline MAF, not cartridge style. Was that changed over after the pictures posted above on 5/26?
On the throttle body, could I trouble you to please measure the outer diameter of the TB and of the tubing?

Doug
Old 07-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DW SD
Cesar,
Thank you for the info. I look forward to the picture. the MAF looks the same as my stock inline MAF, not cartridge style. Was that changed over after the pictures posted above on 5/26?
On the throttle body, could I trouble you to please measure the outer diameter of the TB and of the tubing?

Doug
Yep, you are correct. It was changed after said picture. Sure, I'll do that when I go to the shop next.

Quick Reply: 73 Camaro L92 Swap