Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 08:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Decided to tackle the harness myself.

Where I started:

Stripped down:

Separated out and labeled, thinned out, removed what I'm not using:

Tomorrow I will lay it out on the engine and chassis, decide what I need to lengthen or shorten, and start re-looming it. I need to order the fuse block and relays also.

There are a few wires and functions I still need to figure out...but otherwise I think I've got a good grasp on it.

All in all it was very easy so far, just time consuming. I'm glad I did it myself.

Updates later
SQ
Old 04-09-2014, 04:33 AM
TECH Regular

I love what you're doing. This is my wife's favorite vehicle and I have wanted to get one and swap it onto a tahoe or truck 4wd frame for the IFS and nicer ride of the newer trucks, but I will definitely keep an eye on this build!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:05 PM
Teching In

How's the project going?
Old 11-06-2014, 11:05 AM
Teching In

Been a while...but I've made some progress. We had our 2nd son, and that slowed me down a bit with a long bed-rest period for my Wife (and therefore no income from her).

Modified the 2wd 6L80E to work with the NP241C transfer case.

Got the engine all set in and mocked up.

The heater box is tight - rubs the plug wires. I may relocate the coils, we'll see. Other than that, it all fits well.

Now I need to remove the torque converter and get that installed into the transmission. Then stab the trans. I've never messed with a 6L80E up to this point. Is there anything special I need to do when installing the TC into it? How many clicks?

Hopefully I'll update soon!
Old 11-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Teching In

Been watching your thread over on FSJ Network. Gets me all excited to get started on mine. Looking great!
Old 11-18-2014, 02:55 PM
Teching In

Cool project. I miss my Wagoneer I had.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:39 PM
Teching In

Ok so I've peeked in on your build a good number of times as you update but I just went back through your whole build thread and realized that this is the same exact combo I want to run. I was just reading about the 6L80's today and realized how well it would work with my current set up. I had origionally planned to do a 6bt swap and have changed my mined to do the 5.3 swap instead. That being said I have already done an axle swap with a full size 44HD up front and 14 bolt rear, matching 3.73's. Great gearing for the diesel. Not so for a 4 speed gasser. That being said I rand the 6L80 and 241 combo through the Grim Jeeper gearing calculator and this combo will work perfect with my current 3.73's and 35" tires (already done!) I was thinking a 4L80 and atlas 3.0 prior and was going to swap in some CUCV axles (already geared to 4.56.) With the 6L80/241 I'll actually have a better crawl ratio because of the super low first gear 4.03:1 and the np241 2.72 low. Better yet I can keep my axles, gearing and the 241 comes in a driver drop. Man I'm excited now. Even better yet your paving the way already for me! I'm gonna be watching your build VERY closely. I picked up a 78 Cherokee chief a while back and have to work on getting it back on the road. Once I can DD it I can take this one off the road and start working towards the swap. Great work, I'll be looking forward to updates and will be following you on here and over at FSJ network (same username.)
Old 12-06-2015, 12:49 PM
Teching In

I'm exploring doing this swap (or a 5.9L Mopar Magnum V8) and curious what you managed to get for the outgoing AMC 360 - if you don't mind me asking...

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Today the Jeep lost several hundred pounds!

It was interesting pulling the drivetrain all as one unit, but not too bad. Definitely better than dropping a trans or transfer case without a transmission jack of some kind.

I had to remove a engine mount horn to get the combo out - the longtubes just hung too low. I already had a hole in my heater box...I've got two now!

Tomorrow I plan to possibly pick up an Np241C. I've also got a gentleman coming to purchase the original 360/727/np229.

If I have time I hope to remove the harness from the 5.3 & start cleaning it up. Possibly lift and test fit the engine/trans, see how it looks with the factory manifolds. I still haven't found a good answer on which factory manifolds fit and which dont. I have the whole truck y-pipe, cats, etc still attached to the 5.3. It would be really nice if all of that fit. Would make for an easy exhaust job later!

Update tomorrow....

SQ

Quick Reply: Jeep Grand Wagonner LS Swap started 3/13/2014