Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EastTnZ28
Thanks for the link. Exactly what I need.
No problem! Glad I could be of help.

Wow I need to update this thread.. Updates coming soon. Been a busy bee with the build and life the past little while. Right now I can't do much on the Bird because I had a minor toe operation so I'll be posting some updates here shortly.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

So many update.. I'm going to break it down by posts.

Engine/Transmission:

Engine fitted, transmission mounted to engine. Then the whole combo was mounted to the car once and hopefully for all. The transmission mount that came from American Powertrain was awesome and worked great! Then I measured up for the driveshaft and called them with the size and had them make up the driveshaft. I don't have any pics of the driveshaft as I figured who hasn't seen a driveshaft before - but if anyone wants to see it let me know and I'll get under the car with the camera and shoot some once my toe gets better.

For the trans mount I found a really good picture of how it is assembled and mounted to the car that I've posted, so not my picture. Took me a long time to figure out how to assemble the thing until I found this pic online.

Had to also remove the OE heater because the passenger side head was sitting right up against it. Sold this combo to a local and will make up a metal plate to close up the hole where the assy was. Eventually I will go with a Vintage Air system but not now.

Got a new wiring kit for the headlights from American Autowire and replaced the one I made up last year that had some faults in it.
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4446.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4481.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4440.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4531.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4545.jpg  

LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4519.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 11:51 AM
Staging Lane

This one deserves a separate post as no one talks about this from any of the threads I've read at least... For anyone planning to do this, expect things like this to come about.

The engine mounts I bought were for a BBC, so were the frame stands/mounts that the engine mounts mount to. After using the adapter plates that I got from Summit, the holes on the engine mounts didn't quite match up to the holes on the stands. I took it to a shop and had them prolong the holes which I didn't get pics of but the pics of the mismatch are here.
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4421.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4422.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 12:01 PM
Staging Lane

Then I got the wirring kit for this engine from Current Performance and started routing and hooking things up. The engine pic is of how the engine sits today. Holley mounting brackets. Holley LS Covers. Holley PS Motor and reservoir (which is really just a GM part re-sold by Holley), etc.

I then put the wheels back on the car and lowered it back down. One thing I did not mention in this thread I believe is that I also replaced all of the steering parts pretty much: inner and outter tie rods as well as sleeves and pitman and idler arms. For everything I bought ProForged from Summit Racing. Comes out the ProForged steering kit works fine on the Firebird, but I ran into issues and with the help from Zack from Proforged (he's the president of the company) I realized that Summit has their Pitman arm miscategorized and that this arm doesn't actually work on V8 Firebirds, but L6 only (or Camaro). For V8 Firebird you will need a special rare part that is rather hard to find. Zack pointed me towards Rare Parts Inc which hard the part I wanted but there's a whole another issue with dealing with them now.... Long story and it gets aggravated when I think about but I think I'm out roughly $250 afterall

The problem was that when I lowered the car down, the wheels were pointing inwards at the front (the steering is located at the back of the wheels). The only way to correct this would be to dial in the inner and outter tie rods closer together on both ends. Great, seems simple enough, I figured, just dial it in close enough by eye balling it and take it for alignment later when the build is done. Get under the car, no dice - there are no more threads left on the tie rods to do this. I start searching and investigating and result in calling up ProForged. Eventually I get to speak to Zack who was extremely helpful in figuring this out for me. Seems that the part that Summit lists as the right Pitman Arm for my set up (V8, power assist) is not in fact the right arm. It is meant for the L6 models only. Summit is taking the part back and offering a full refund once I manage to get under and it off. Only issue now is the part I need is ultra rare and is only sold by Rare Parts Inc that I could find.

Rare Parts Inc... If there was anyone else I could deal with after all of this, I could avoid them at all costs. I don't want to get into details yet as it really does boil my blood and I'm still trying to sort this through with them for past week now. Once we settle with a solution I will report back here.
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4623.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4608.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4617.jpg  

Last edited by Seymor Butts; 05-22-2014 at 12:09 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:03 PM
Staging Lane

More updates to come.. Got a conference call to attend right now (I'm working from home these days due to the toe injury).
Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

Spring came around.. Had to devote some time to my daily driver... IS250 AWD. Installed some summer wheels and coilovers that have been sitting around since December.

And now I am sitting around with a healing toe, so hoping to get back into it.

Here's what's left to do:
Rad - coolant pipes - fill fluid - fans
Steering - install rack and pinion from Unisteer - hook up (and order) steering shaft and coupler - fill fluid
Wiring - finish wiring and hook up the ECU
Clutch - finish master cylinder install - hook up pedal - fill and bleed
Air intake - make up piping - hook in MAF

Complete:
Accessories mounted
Fuel system hooked up
Engine and Trans mounted
LS1 intake manifold converted
Brake/clutch pedal swap
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4758.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4702.jpg  

Last edited by Seymor Butts; 05-22-2014 at 09:41 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, I love seeing old Firebirds come together! I got to hear mine run yesterday, and with the Pypes exhaust it sounded downright mean. I might get to go see her next week. If they'll let me take pics, I will.
Old 05-23-2014, 01:12 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sprech
Awesome, I love seeing old Firebirds come together! I got to hear mine run yesterday, and with the Pypes exhaust it sounded downright mean. I might get to go see her next week. If they'll let me take pics, I will.
I have been following your thread as well actually. Post up pics when you get the chance. Also wondering about what it took to fit those seats in the car?
Old 05-23-2014, 11:03 AM
TECH Regular

As far as the seats go, and I posted this in my thread, I believe after comparing the factory seats that they will fit in there since both rails are flat. The mounting hole will likely need to be changed and I'm probably going to put a piece of 3/6" or 1/4" plate on the under body to strengthen the mount as the seats have an integrated seat belt.
Old 05-25-2014, 09:31 PM
Staging Lane

As far as the seats go, and I posted this in my thread, I believe after comparing the factory seats that they will fit in there since both rails are flat. The mounting hole will likely need to be changed and I'm probably going to put a piece of 3/6" or 1/4" plate on the under body to strengthen the mount as the seats have an integrated seat belt.
Awesome info, thanks for that! I may go this route too. If you get a chance to weigh these things let me know? Not too concerned but would think twice if they weighed over 100 lbs each (haha).
Old 05-25-2014, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Made some progress on the car this weekend. Got the rad in and got the top rad hose made up. For the bottom rad hose I bought a flexible kind from Summit that I should have by Tuesday. I figured it is not as noticeable back there so it wouldn't be as big of a deal. For the top, I used Prestone brand hose, part number 83692 (not sure what its meant for). I had to cut it down the middle and shorten a little, for which I used a plastic coupler I bought from a harware store. The hose os 2.5 inches which is bigger than the outlet on the water pump so I'll use a reducer there.

Also installed the rack and pinion system (but forgot to take pics) and finished installing the clutch master and bled the system.
Attached Thumbnails LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4805.jpg   LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!-img_4806.jpg  
Old 06-05-2014, 10:35 PM
Staging Lane

So who can shine some light on whether or not I need to use shims on my starter? I bought the engine without it mounted, and thus have no idea if it came shimmed or not. Not is is using the original flexplate anymore..in fact it is using a flywheel now.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

Nice build seymor
Old 06-05-2014, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you sir! Start up video this weekend I'm hoping
Old 06-13-2014, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

On your front suspension, it looks like it was lowered before the conversion. After you put the lighter motor in, did you have to make any modifications to get it back to that point? I looked at mine today and the front is sitting way too high. It could probably use 2"-4" of drop. I was thinking drop spindles and adjustable coil overs. Thoughts?
Old 06-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

On your front suspension, it looks like it was lowered before the conversion. After you put the lighter motor in, did you have to make any modifications to get it back to that point? I looked at mine today and the front is sitting way too high. It could probably use 2"-4" of drop. I was thinking drop spindles and adjustable coil overs. Thoughts?
Sorry to only get to this now

Yes, it will sit higher I can only imagine.. The front was lowered for sure but I am not even sure how. I bought the car with some sorts of suspension on it.. possible lowered, maybe not. I did however since then replace the front control arms, and did a disk brake conversion in the front. When I lowered the car from JUST that, it made it sit a good 2 inches lower. No, I did not use drop spindles. I did at first but the car sat an inch away from the ground and became undriveable. Seems that the control arms, by Right Stuff Detailing (I believe) changed the geometry of the suspension that made it sit lower.

I do intent to do a coilover set up and a 4 link in the back maybe next year. With that I will also do sways of course.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:10 PM
Staging Lane

Start up video:

www.instagram.com/p/o8qePYIoBl/embed/
Old 06-20-2014, 09:12 PM
Staging Lane

Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

It's a great feeling to get that first start-up isn't it? I must be losing my mind here, but it totally looks like you have the throttle body totally closed off here or is that just some kind of illusion?

**I'm referring to the instagram video, not the picture above this post**
Old 06-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Staging Lane

It's a great feeling to get that first start-up isn't it? I must be losing my mind here, but it totally looks like you have the throttle body totally closed off here or is that just some kind of illusion?

**I'm referring to the instagram video, not the picture above this post**
It really is! It made my entire weekend! In the video what you see is the MAF - I stuck it into the throttle body just for that time being.

Quick Reply: LQ9 + TKO-600 into 1968 Firebird in Toronto, ON - NOW RUNNING!