Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strapping a Fox to a Trailer

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 12:31 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strapping a Fox to a Trailer

This isn't a LSx question but just a general one as I have never played with Fox bodies. A friend has a Fox that hasn't run in a long while and needs to be moved on a trailer. Since there are tons of fox bodies on this site I thought I'd ask where the common strap points are on the front of these cars. I plan on wrapping the tie downs around the rear axle but just want to make sure to pick good spots on the front that will hold good and not damage anything. Worst case scenario is we'll wrap the straps through the spokes of the wheels.

Thanks for the help and sorry for the noob question.
Old 04-18-2014, 12:41 PM
On The Tree

around k member or a arms is where i always have. On a side note watch how u do it on the rear end. my last time i smashed a brake line flat on the rear end.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Staging Lane

I also use the a arms BUT make sure the brake lines are NOT in between the strap and arm. You can easily crush them. This is also true for the rears to make sure the brake lines are clear. You also wanna cross the straps. (Example is right rear strap on car goes to left rear trailer hook.) Make an X out of the straps. True for the front also. This will keep the car centered on the trailer.
Old 04-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Teching In

If your straps are strong enough and the chassis and suspension integrity is not compromised, the wheels are a convenient tie down point. That's how most exotic vehicles are transported. I prefer to attach to chassis and body points to limit some of the suspension movement when loaded.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:46 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the tips guys. I read them but didn't have a chance to post earlier.

Everything went smoothly. Car was sitting on tires that have been flat for over 5 years so we filled them up with a small air compressor. Pushed it onto the trailer and found out that the parking brake wasn't holding...or unlocking...very well so I threw it into gear for extra security. Wrapped the straps around the axle tubes and I see how you can possibly crush a line with the straps. This car needs so much work that the extra money for some brakes lines won't break the budget.

On the front I looped the straps around the lower control arm at the ball joint. I was thinking that there would be a "window" in the arm to run the strap through but apparently not. So the straps got a little greasy, no big, it's home and waiting to transported up the road in June to start bringing it back to road worthy status.

Straight out the early 90's though: lowered on 100 spoke wheels sticking out past the fenders/quarters, 195/50/15 tires and double wiper blades. New wheels and tires are at the top of the list.

Thanks for the help
Old 04-21-2014, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by spacemanspif
Straight out the early 90's though: lowered on 100 spoke wheels sticking out past the fenders/quarters, 195/50/15 tires and double wiper blades. New wheels and tires are at the top of the list.
So you're keeping the ultra classy double wiper blades? Haha.

Quick Reply: Strapping a Fox to a Trailer