Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Or I supposed we all could just mod the mounts ourselves lol.

Just move these portions back accordingly to where the frame pads are located after moving them back on the frame.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Wow I might have to start putting some change to the side soon and get these mounts/crossmember and headers.

I went through quite a task with 1" setback adapter plates, notching the HVAC box (not big of a deal as Im excellent when it comes to fiberglass work lol) and not to mention the mods needed to get Pacesetter Fbody long tubes to fit.

I'm curious if its possible or too late to design a passenger side mount that's offset a little? These mounts seem to reuse the factory SBC frame mounts/pads and your mounts bolt to those.

Is it possible to offset the passenger side to move the SBC frame pad just a little farther back so that those that wish to notch the frame a little can get low mount A/C?

Sort of like this..

This is a 96 Impala ss frame, same frame as any 1977 and up caprice/impala(except those years had frames pads mounted like a gbody). With the LT1 they moved the passenger side mount back a little and the frames from 94-96 SS were factory notched already for the A/C

Not sure if it would be something Hooker thinks they could profit off of by offering just one passenger side mount as a custom option. Or if its worth it to put the time in developing one.

Hey BOXCHEV, you must have telepathically conveyed your wishes to me as I was mocking-up and modeling the mounts because the installation of the new Hooker brackets relocates the clamshells into the exact mounting holes you point out in your photo. To run the truck A/C low mount compressor you will have to notch/clearance both the frame and the aluminum cradle bracket that goes between the compressor and the engine.

I hear you on the 1" set-back, it creates more issues than it solves and has the single benefit of allowing someone with a 2004R to reuse their stock driveshaft.

The engine location "sweet spot" of this application turned out to be 1/4" to 3/8" set-back, which allows clearance of both the truck and F-body accessory drives with the steering box and also the right cylinder coil packs and bracket with the A/C housing. It also keeps the shift lever shaft on a 4L80 in a more practical location for shifter attachment then where it ends up when using 1" set-back plates.
Old 07-23-2014, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Here you go BOXCHEV, this photo shows the attachment location of the passenger side clamshell as used with the new Hooker G-body engine mounting brackets. The driver side is similar.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-23-2014, 05:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 86slicksilverss
Thanks. I would appreciate that very much.
Jim
Here's a couple of images that show a 4th-gen F-body T56 tailshaft housing attached to the new Hooker G-body crossmember. The only difference between this trans and a T56 Magnum is that the machined mount pad on the T56 Magnum is around .300" closer to the center line of the output shaft...we will be including a spacer in the crossmember packaging to account for that disparity. [IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-23-2014, 05:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sold!

Gonna have to start sneaking some money to the side lol.

Name:  hXyyr4x.gif
Views: 348
Size:  827.2 KB

Looks like plenty of space for notching.

Post# 7 and 8

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...lq4-4l80e.html

Though its a B-Body caprice its should be around the same for a G-Body. Shouldn't need too much of a notch.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:17 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Toddoky! Looks like Holley Performance is going to be getting some of my money as soon as everything is ready for production
Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Teching In

One question I have regarding the transmission and the t56 magnum. Will the shifter for the magnum line up with the factory console?
Thanks, Jim
Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BOXCHEV
Sold!

Gonna have to start sneaking some money to the side lol.

Looks like plenty of space for notching.

Post# 7 and 8

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...lq4-4l80e.html

Though its a B-Body caprice its should be around the same for a G-Body. Shouldn't need too much of a notch.
Notching is fun as it provides us fabricators a chance to make sparks and/or fire in the garage!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

One question I have regarding the transmission and the t56 magnum. Will the shifter for the magnum line up with the factory console?
Thanks, Jim
I honestly don't know the answer to that question as I've not fully installed a T56 Magnum into a G-body behind an LS to date...where there is a will there's a way, right.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Can you tell me the overall height of the mounts from frame to block trying to figure out if my mounts are close so I know what pan I need seems your pan in the pic is fairly close to the frame with your mounts.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 6togo
Can you tell me the overall height of the mounts from frame to block trying to figure out if my mounts are close so I know what pan I need seems your pan in the pic is fairly close to the frame with your mounts.
I'm not sure of that dimension off the top of my head, but the low engine position provided by the new mounting brackets required the use of the Holley 302-2 pan in this application as the Holley 302-1 pan is too tall along its front profile to allow installation. I notched stock 4th-gen F-body pan could also be made to work, but you would be giving up oil capacity going that route.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:02 AM
TECH Resident

It would be very helpful if you could find out the overall height so i know if i can get the 302-1 pan to fit i need the clearance for the 4" stroke windage tray.
Old 07-24-2014, 07:43 AM
TECH Junkie

It would be very helpful if you could find out the overall height so i know if i can get the 302-1 pan to fit i need the clearance for the 4" stroke windage tray.
I'll see what I can do for you...I can say for sure that you cannot get the 302-1 pan in your car on these mounts unless you notch the crossmember. I know this to be true since I worked with both of the Holley pans during the development of these new components.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Toddoky
I'll see what I can do for you...I can say for sure that you cannot get the 302-1 pan in your car on these mounts unless you notch the crossmember. I know this to be true since I worked with both of the Holley pans during the development of these new components.
Hey 6togo, the combined stacked height of the engine brackets and clamshells is 3.125". As further information that I hope will be helpful to you, you will have two clearance constraints in relation to using the Holley 302-1 pan with these new mounts, one is the engine crossmember and the
other is the steering centerlink, which is going to make contact with the bottom of the pan before the crossmember will.

With minimal modification (fabricating a pop-out along the bottom center in the pan) the 302-2 can be made to accommodate a 4" stroke crank and will still be installable the new Hooker G-body mounts/crossmember. You won't be able to run a full-length windage tray however.

I also suspect that the 302-1 could be clearanced with a flat plate under its front to allow fitment with these mounts and clear your 4" stroke crank and allow the use of a full-length tray if you wish. I don't see a way you'll be able to get where you want to go without some amount of fabrication, but in my eyes that's part of the fun.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks, Jim
T56 Magnum shifter location is in line with the center of the trans.

http://image.customclassictrucks.com...on-shifter.jpg
Old 07-24-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the spec's and idea how much clearance from the pan sump to the frame?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks for the spec's and idea how much clearance from the pan sump to the frame?
There's roughly 3/4" in between the front of the 302-2 pan and the crossmember when using the new G-body mounts. The extra amount of clearance needed to clear a 4" stroke crank in the 302-2 pan is about 3/16" in a discrete area of the pan, so there's more than enough room to accomplish the task.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

how much are these mount going to cost?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by jimmyg
how much are these mount going to cost?
I would venture to guess they will be in the same range as the other Hooker clamshell style LS mounting brackets, which is typically between a $110 and $130 street price to the user.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

I have a set of solid UMI mounts i need to use due to the turbo system but i slide a bolt though them and measued mounting surface to mounting surface and they are 3 3/4" tall so that is 5/8" taller will that free up engoung space for the 302-2 pan?

Quick Reply: New Hooker G-Body LS Swap System Preview