Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayman + LS3

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 05:35 AM
Teching In

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great update! Makes me even more anxious for mine to finish up... I've got a couple questions:

I noticed the rear bumperettes have been swapped out for vents. Any more detail on those? I was planning on something similar. I want to bring some more airflow up through the transaxle area, and possibly venting the hatch area out the rear.
(my hatch will be sealed from the passenger compartment & basically an open engine bay)

Also, what spring rates did you run on the Ohlins? Any different than for a stock Cayman?

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2017, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

would like to see some pics in action at the track!
Old 10-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Brons2
would like to see some pics in action at the track!
Soon
Old 10-19-2017, 11:06 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Houston987
Great update! Makes me even more anxious for mine to finish up... I've got a couple questions:

I noticed the rear bumperettes have been swapped out for vents. Any more detail on those? I was planning on something similar. I want to bring some more airflow up through the transaxle area, and possibly venting the hatch area out the rear.
(my hatch will be sealed from the passenger compartment & basically an open engine bay)

Also, what spring rates did you run on the Ohlins? Any different than for a stock Cayman?

Thanks!
I made the bumperette deletes just to clean the back up and let any pressurized air out from the fender wells. Will add a pump and trans cooler soon that will likely vent out through those.

I did 400f/500r springs and custom valved the shocks. I actually built this system before Ohlins released a kit for the Cayman 987. Ohlins runs a 400/458 rate with their R&T kits which is pretty close and a bargain. Assuming you're running an aluminum block you aren't going to add much weight over the stock motor. Can certainly start with an off the shelf kit or go TTX

Feel free to give me a shout if you want to chat about LS Caymans!
Old 10-21-2017, 02:56 PM

Sub'd

Great build!
Old 10-21-2017, 04:48 PM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Really great build, excellent fab work! Car came out looking awesome. I bet it's a blast!
Old 10-23-2017, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Number Tew
Really great build, excellent fab work! Car came out looking awesome. I bet it's a blast!
Thanks! Yeah, really fun to drive
Old 10-23-2017, 06:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 165 Likes on 109 Posts

Congrats on getting it sorted and solidly running!

I was curious if you feel 480hp is enough in the car..... meaning is it having a hard time putting down the power or could it actually use a 600hp+ setup?

How are the upgraded 14" Brembo brakes? Fantastic?
Old 10-24-2017, 12:34 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by gnx7
Congrats on getting it sorted and solidly running!

I was curious if you feel 480hp is enough in the car..... meaning is it having a hard time putting down the power or could it actually use a 600hp+ setup?

How are the upgraded 14" Brembo brakes? Fantastic?
Thanks!

I don't know about 600hp+.. I'd like to build the motor at some point though. Traction is ok being mid engine. I can certainly blow the tires off by being aggressive but if you're nice it hooks pretty well. It's pretty much going to be a track car after I cage it this winter so it doesn't need a ton of power. A gentler torque curve would make it easier to drive for sure

Fanfreakingtastic! Upgraded to the GT3 master cylinder at the same time.

Time for some aero...
Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 AM
Launching!

I love this build. Those brakes are no joke.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Oil cooler update for the Cayman. I've built a lot of lines over the years and never had a problem but on mission critical stuff I really appreciate getting these pressure tested! Fully fire sleeved Goodridge -12 910 Kevlar G-Line, Improved Racing LS thermo adapter and dual Mocal oil coolers.
Still need to build the undertray and ducting but it's driving for the last few days before snow sets in here

Pressure tested and ready to rock! Goodridge -12 910 Kevlar G-Line

Improved Racing LS Thermostatic adapter with oil pressure sender.

Old 12-19-2017, 06:42 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

Nice seeing this one come along, especially as a former Cayman S owner. Curious about the sound quality with no crossover. I've always strongly preferred the sound with a crossover of some sort --- what's your take on it?
Old 12-20-2017, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Nice seeing this one come along, especially as a former Cayman S owner. Curious about the sound quality with no crossover. I've always strongly preferred the sound with a crossover of some sort --- what's your take on it?
It's pretty snarly without the crossover. It should pick up some power by adding it and mellow the exhaust out a bit.

Here's a clip of it idling..
View this post on Instagram
Old 12-20-2017, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 590 Likes on 468 Posts

The cars is pretty quick. Whats the tranns gear ratio?
Old 12-20-2017, 02:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 464 Likes on 350 Posts

Well, most of the before/after dynos I've seen --- one of the mags did an extensive test on a 370ish HP 347 Ford small block --- indicate you'll only see a couple of HP due to the crossover. But it definitely changes the sound. You've got a benefit of both pipes right beside each other at the back. Most without a crossover (think Cobra replica or old Corvette with sidepipes -- or the UPS-truck-like-sound of the V10 Viper with sidepipes) head in the direction of a 63 Chevy pickup 283 with two pipes dumped on each side right in front of the rear wheel. Can you say rural beer run? LOL. The crossover makes things sound more, uh, "metallic" in a distinctly Euro way. My preference -- but it's subjective.
Old 12-20-2017, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
The cars is pretty quick. Whats the tranns gear ratio?
Stock gears in the trans:
1st gear 3.667
2nd gear 2.05
3rd gear 1.407
4th gear 1.133
5th gear 0.972
6th gear 0.822
Final drive 3.875
Old 12-20-2017, 02:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Well, most of the before/after dynos I've seen --- one of the mags did an extensive test on a 370ish HP 347 Ford small block --- indicate you'll only see a couple of HP due to the crossover. But it definitely changes the sound. You've got a benefit of both pipes right beside each other at the back. Most without a crossover (think Cobra replica or old Corvette with sidepipes -- or the UPS-truck-like-sound of the V10 Viper with sidepipes) head in the direction of a 63 Chevy pickup 283 with two pipes dumped on each side right in front of the rear wheel. Can you say rural beer run? LOL. The crossover makes things sound more, uh, "metallic" in a distinctly Euro way. My preference -- but it's subjective.
It's on my to-do list but aero is coming first
Old 12-20-2017, 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,091 Likes on 2,407 Posts

With a crossover, each pipe sounds like both pipes combined, because that's what it is!

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayman + LS3