Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy

Alright, this is my first car, and I'm a definite car noob. My brother's shop is helping me build this car, which I'm very excited about. I was looking for a car that was around $600 bucks, and I found this Camaro on Craigslist for a thousand bucks. My mom said she's lend me the rest, and within a couple of days, we went and checked it out, and bought it.

First checkin' it out...
First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-4sflcxt.jpg

Using gloves to secure the transmission because it was that damn cold.
First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-5thbrev.jpg

My mom approving of my purchase.
First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-haiciqz.jpg

After we bought it, I got it towed to my brother’s shop and I washed it, and got all the snow off of it. Made it look semi-presentable.I started really looking around inside of the car as well, and noticed things like little audio equalizers where the center heater vents went. (sorry for the crappy photo, but you get the idea)

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-zgfvn0n.png

I thought this was totally awesome, because I’m audiophile, I really love my music, so when I saw that this car came with 4 10” bass speakers in the back, I was stoked. (They weren’t installed properly either, so I’m going to make a proper box for them.)

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-m91cygs.png

I also really really liked all those gauges...mmmm. (even though they’re not mounted in the best way, it doesn’t matter cause, ya know, I can try to change that)

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-9d9mpfp.jpg

The guy said it was a show car, and damn it sure did look like it. I was in love with it. Here’s more pictures of what it looked like when I bought it.

This is what the interior looked like.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-kpu2lj8.png

And the exterior…

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-wttlvki.png
First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-1qrr0sy.png

I think it was the next weekend after i had bought the car, that we went to Pick-n-Pull on half price day, and bought a 4.8 liter truck engine my friend Adam had found on their website. So we go over there, late in the afternoon, somewhat expecting it to be pulled already, but to our luck, it wasn’t. There was an engine puller above it, almost everything was disconnected, it was strange. We all thought maybe someone just gave up at the very end and just left. We hooked everything up and pulled it So that day I got my engine,

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-a9bjt6d.jpg

When we got back, I examined it with Adam.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-9fg79pg.jpg

We were hungry after pulling that engine, but we didn't have a can opener. Made sure to get some safety glasses. Safety first!

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-1mufdgz.jpg

After that, we moved the car into the paint booth, my own little space in the shop. My brother gave me a little moveable tool stand thing to put tools and parts on, so I took some stuff out of the engine bay, to clean it up a bit, and sprayed that bay with 10 gallons of degreaser.

Wait...what’s...what’s that?

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-fxoiqay.jpg

Oh that’s nice.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-optktnl.jpg

Gonna clean up reeaal nice.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-gajst3e.jpg

By the way, here’s my lil’ cart.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-fw1j3dy.jpg

Now, at this time (and currently) I didn’t really have a lot of money, and I knew I was switching the car to a manual transmission, so I took the shifter and transmission out, painted the bone stock TH350 gloss black, and sold it for $560 on craigslist.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-ytfz61e.png

This made the total I payed for the car only $440. Now that I had some money I was buying parts that my brother had suggested, and saving up for machine work to make that iron 4.8 an iron 5.7. Before I could send it out, I had to get some things to make machine work possible.

I had to buy Pistons,

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-oegbvhj.jpg

Just kidding…That’s for another build. I got Speed Pro pistons. ($240)

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-8wyizkr.jpg

ARP Connecting Rod Bolts ($78), and new Lingenfelter Stainless 2.02 Valves before machining. ($120)

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-7wbqux0.jpg

Now that I had all of these, it was ready to be machined, but I didn’t have cash to do that. Naturally I started tearing the car apart, seeing what had to be done to the body and all that.Took out the weather stripping and everything, and found 1 dent, and some bad rust around the T-tops.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-p9hgmpx.jpg

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-yvhcdey.jpg

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-03wrhet.jpg

i finally sent it to the machine shop, and got all of this done to it. For around $600

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-hkjubc1.jpg

This is what it looks like sitting in the Engine Build room now.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-ypdyyiq.jpg

Oh and I bought a new 5.7 crankshaft.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-tktx43r.jpg

Then I met Brian, who also owns a third gen Camaro (his has a 350 in it), so I traded him the old dual exhaust off of my car for a capacitor for my sound system.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-xvoqxdj.jpg

We went on craigslist and found lots of nice things, like a LS1 wiring harness, and an Aussie 9 bolt 327 rear end.

Name:  zVLREha.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  105.0 KB

And some electric fans..I think these were off of Craigslist.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-mqnu7tx.jpg

Then even more good luck came my way, and another friend of mine, Tony, decided to change the rims on his 600 HP ‘82 C10 truck. he was going to sell the rims and I told him, “Those would look pretty nice on my Camaro Tony.” So after he got new rims, he GAVE me these 19” Vossen rims. Well..2 of them at the time..the rear ones. A customer with another c10 needed the front ones while he was waiting on his rims. The picture I have is recent though, with rims on the front and rear.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-lig8gnx.jpg

They didn’t really fit in the back, they were a bit to wide. So my brother handed me the cutting wheel (which I have never used before) and he tells me ,”This is a very useful tool, and if you use it correctly and carefully, you’ll love it. But it can, and will get away from you if you don’t handle it properly. It will cut your fingers off so fast, so clean, you won’t even notice it.” This obviously made me a bit nervous but I went at it the best I could. Cutting off the bump stops and such. When I started cutting, I realized hot metal kinda stings when it hits your arm. So I found my brothers long sleeve welding shirt and put it on, got a full face shield, and a big moving blanket and put it on me. Then I ground and cut away a lot of metal. They’re still a bit to wide, but I’ll finish cutting more off later. Sorry but no pictures of me cutting it.

One day my brother saw that there was a manual third gen Camaro on the Pick-n-Pull website, so I went out there, and pulled the pedal. I had never done it before. It took me 6 hours, and then my brother finished it for me because Pick-n-Pull was closing (he is very patient with me).

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-o4jgppk.jpg

Afterwards, I went to Chipotle for the first time. Weird burritos!

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-zvfqsjv.jpg

Recently another friend of mine, Tim, bought a T56 transmission for his BMW (which my brother had been searching (for me) for weeks) and came over and asked if it would fit and all that. Afterwards he found a wrecked GTO with an aluminum LS1 with a T56 and bought that. Tim wants to build a LS1 BMW, and wants my brother’s shop to build it. But now he has 2 T56’s, so my brother offers to shave a grand off of his total build price to get the T56. So now...I have a T56!

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-mohr8jj.jpg

It looked really difficult and uncomfortable to try and put new pedals in, so I decided to take the entire interior out. What I found was atrocious...nauseating even. This is absolutely the most half-assed terrible wiring job I’ve ever seen.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-brpkcvk.jpg

I’ve cleaned it up a little bit.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-js8jfds.jpg

Also I took the top dash panel off and found out the speakers were completely wrong for that speaker.
First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-epzlakt.jpg

And this is how far I’ve gotten so far. I need to buy headers, and an oil pan so I can start mocking up the engine. Also I need to buy rings.
Here’s what I’ve taken out.

Some interior.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-jukzt2g.jpg

Bunches of old parts from the engine.

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-dpeuzfj.jpg

First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-sejtnxw.jpg

Oh, forgot about this. It’s my hood, it was cut for a supercharged blower beast motor. (I don’t think it was actually a beast, it was a show car, not a performance vehicle, everything that wasn’t seen was atrocious

. First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy-hy7il24.jpg

So yeah, this is what my brother's shop and I have done. Plan on doing more and adding more soon.

One last thing. My cars name is Cringer, but once it's up and running, Its name will transform into the Battle Cat.
Old 07-25-2014, 07:14 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Awesome, just keep at it and it will eventually pay off, though it will never ever be "done."
Old 07-25-2014, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,433 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by sprech
Awesome, just keep at it and it will eventually pay off, though it will never ever be "done."
Truer words have never been spoken. I've owned my GTO since 1985 and I am still ******* with it.

Andrew
Old 08-02-2014, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any progress?

Quick Reply: First Car/'82 Z28 Camaro/Picture heavy