Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 vs LS2 and LS2 vs LS3 - perceived difference in performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, all!

Thanks for all the good input. I apologize for not providing all the information in my initial post.

The reason for the aluminum block is because of F/R weight balance. I have the engine swapped in an E30 BMW (Track day- / HPDE-car) and can not add any more weight up front.

FI is probably not a good idea either (because of the added weight).
Old 08-23-2014, 10:40 AM
9 Second Club

not sure how fi is more weight then carb, I have an LS3 intake loaded and a Victor with a carb on it and I can say the carb intake weighs more.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

plus FI will easily fit under the hood unlike the carb intake. Its a big difference in height.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtiedford
plus FI will easily fit under the hood unlike the carb intake. Its a big difference in height.
He is talking about forced induction. Not fuel injection.
Old 08-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by sierravmax
He is talking about forced induction. Not fuel injection.
Yes, you are right - sorry for the confusion.

As it seems now I can get hold of a new LS1 crate engine for 4300 USD - compared to the LS3 which can be had for 2000 USD more.

It's not easy to decide...
Old 08-23-2014, 03:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Why are you buying a new one, for warranty issues? $4300 for an LS1 sounds crazy; a wrecked (or running in some cases) Z28 is barely worth that.
Old 08-23-2014, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Why are you buying a new one, for warranty issues? $4300 for an LS1 sounds crazy; a wrecked (or running in some cases) Z28 is barely worth that.
Yes, the last used one I bought was garbage.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kristov
At the moment I am leaning towards an LS2 because of the cost, but if I will miss out a lot by not going for an LS3 I am not so sure anymore.
From the rest of your thread, it sounds as though you are probably not located in N. America (hence the high costs of the engines you're referencing). It might be worthwhile to reference your location - no sense in us recommending an LQ4/LQ9 if they're not available in your location...

BUT, as a general rule, if you are able to get your hands on a 6.0L short-block, you can add L92 heads, which will give you probably 90% of the performance found in the late-model engines... (Of course the L92 heads require a different intake manifold, so be aware of that before making the change...)

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
From the rest of your thread, it sounds as though you are probably not located in N. America (hence the high costs of the engines you're referencing). It might be worthwhile to reference your location - no sense in us recommending an LQ4/LQ9 if they're not available in your location...

BUT, as a general rule, if you are able to get your hands on a 6.0L short-block, you can add L92 heads, which will give you probably 90% of the performance found in the late-model engines... (Of course the L92 heads require a different intake manifold, so be aware of that before making the change...)

Good luck!
Thanks for your input!

I live in Norway so I have to import all the good stuff from USA. With the added shipping and taxes it sadly gets very expensive.
Old 08-24-2014, 08:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Given your needs, I would lean toward the ls2.

Is this a track-only car? Would you have emissions requirements? My complete 475 crank HP NA LS1 cost as follows:

AI heads/cam/springs/Ls7 lifter: 2200
Block: 300
Crank/rod/piston/rings machine and balance: 550
HV Oil pump and new bearings: 250
Pushrods and aftermarket timing cover (to clear pump): 300
Intake, carb, fliudampr: 1000

500 crank hp is quite bit for a track car, btw. Unless you've worked your way up to that and are a seasoned track guy, I would think most of the power that puts you above 1:12 hp-to-weight won't help much and may mask shortcomings in driving skill or smoothness. I will have my hands full with my car's current config (420whp/2950 curb weight), but I share the car with a dude who has 15 years racing under his belt. He ran circles around everyone when the car had just 325 whp this spring and would essentially be my instructor.

Unless you've got serious wheel time already, perhaps going with a stock ls2 or ls3 build and investing the extra in chassis mods will give you the best go for your dough. An l33 engine can be bored out to ls1 size, incidentally. The l33 appears to provide the base engine for a lot of machine shop crate engines, probably due to lower cost and better general condition when compared to a "real" ls1 core.

Check out texas speed (a sponsor here) when you get a chance. You can compare the various ls engines/costs side by side there.

Last edited by 1981TA; 08-24-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Quick Reply: LS1 vs LS2 and LS2 vs LS3 - perceived difference in performance?