Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 vs LS2 and LS2 vs LS3 - perceived difference in performance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 05:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 vs LS2 and LS2 vs LS3 - perceived difference in performance?

Hi,

I need a new engine and have been looking into upgrading from the LS1 to either an LS2 or LS3.

Is it a bigger step from an LS1 -> LS2 then it is from an LS2 -> LS3 ?

At the moment I am leaning towards an LS2 because of the cost, but if I will miss out a lot by not going for an LS3 I am not so sure anymore.

Anyone with thoughts or experience with similiar decisions (eg. would you choose the same engine again)?

Thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Stock power numbers are widely available for all three, only you can decide whether it is worth the price difference.
What is it you think you will be missing out on?
Doing it over I'd stick with an ls1 and turbo it.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless you have money to burn have you considered a a LQ4 or LQ9? Much cheaper start and the extra money saved could be used to mod it
Old 08-09-2014, 11:00 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chuckd71
Stock power numbers are widely available for all three, only you can decide whether it is worth the price difference.
What is it you think you will be missing out on?
Doing it over I'd stick with an ls1 and turbo it.
FI is not an option as it adds too much weight up front.

As we all know you can never get enough power :-)

Stock power for either alternative will suffice for a while and I was thinking it might be better to use more money now and maybe have to spend less in the future when upgrading.

HP-goal is 500hp at the flywheel with great driveability.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:01 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
Unless you have money to burn have you considered a a LQ4 or LQ9? Much cheaper start and the extra money saved could be used to mod it
I must use an aluminium block because of weight.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

The upgrades for all will be about the same price won't they? I mean , a cam is a cam is a cam and headers are headers regardless.
Old 08-09-2014, 12:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Sure the price of upgrades will be the same, all I was implying is that the money saved by going the LQ route could be put into more mods...thus getting more bang for the buck
Old 08-09-2014, 12:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by chuckd71
The upgrades for all will be about the same price won't they? I mean , a cam is a cam is a cam and headers are headers regardless.
Ok, I was under the impression that an LS1 needs more work done (at least heads and cam) than an LS2 or LS3 (cam only?) to reach 500hp.
Old 08-09-2014, 06:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would happily add the 40 or 50 lbs for an intercooled SC for the extra 200hp. Then I would do a backflip of joy.
Old 08-09-2014, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kristov
Ok, I was under the impression that an LS1 needs more work done (at least heads and cam) than an LS2 or LS3 (cam only?) to reach 500hp.
Might, but then they are much cheaper to start with. It seems like there must be information we are not privy to. Are you racing or in a situation where weight is regulated? Will 500hp do something 450 will not? For what it's worth (not much) I think I'm going to sell my 6.2 and use the money to buy an ls1 and a t56. Gears are worth more to me than 0.5 L.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LS2 is a great option. 24 reluctor means you can use your existing ECM, throttle body, and cable driven accelerator pedal. LS2 is also the favorite block for re-sleeving, if that ever needs to happen. Good heads to port w/out repurchase. Not much work to harness, just knock sensors. Weight savings are excellent, unless you don't street drive and want the FI.

Only downside is they are not as common. In the end, it may come down to availability in your area.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, that wasn't a good night... I'm usually better at not letting dumb stuff like that get under my skin...

Last edited by V8Rumble; 08-10-2014 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Whoa...Rumble. I hope you don't drive like you type!

We all get frustrated and enraged with each other - IT'S AN EPIDEMIC!

You have 1100 posts, he has 44. Many people have helped you, are helping you, and I know you are frustrated. Please learn to be gracious with those you feel are not up to your level. You will be a better person for it, I promise you.

Pastor Brian (Trinity Evangelical Divinity School graduate)
Old 08-09-2014, 09:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by V8Rumble
J***s f'king C****t, EITHER DO YOUR OWN F****ING DUE DILIGENCE, OR LIST THE ENTIRE f***ing list of specs you're trying to match!! DON'T freaking expect the people on this board to MAGICALLY "intuit" what you freaking need, OK????
Amen.
Old 08-09-2014, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

In hindsight, it seems that my aggravation came from kristov's response to this post:
Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
THAT was an entirely reasonable response to the specs posted thus far. Shooting that response down on the basis of previously-unmentioned criteria was (IMS-HO) gratuitous & pointless.

Of course, others will differ - which is 110% OK with me.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:41 AM
On The Tree

Rumble - I like your build and your car. I've had some setbacks myself, but nothing like yours. To him that endures...

The OP put the LS2 squarely in the middle of the conversation: LS1->LS2 LS2->LS3. These are all aluminum blocks as you know. The subject, the thread title, the discussion matter is all about aluminum blocks.

Then (I'll dramatically over-emphasize for effect):
An iron block jihadist stated that if you don't convert to iron block jihadism, then the OP is an infidel: convert him or kill him (flame him). Force him to flee to the mountain-top to wait for humanitarian help to fall from the sky. Mock his beliefs.
HCI2000SS - I've read some of your posts and you're a smart guy. I'm way over-stating the case, here. It's a kind thing to alert someone to alternatives which they are not considering. I've been helped that way. But it was a little condescending to imply that you're wasting money and being stupid, if you don't give up aluminum and convert to iron - just my opinion. I'm not trying to pick a fight. The OP has a right to his thread w/out forced conversions or FI. Those few words starting the ball rolling and it may not have been your intent, IMO. e-communication is difficult and I'm guilty, too.

The LS2 being a Gen IV is unique in that it can easily convert to Gen III, or with it's 4.0" bore can go further with Gen IV. This adaptability certainly puts it in the middle like the thread title has it. Purchasing a versatile block may not be wasting money after all.

I have one, it's stock with CAI and SW headers. The hp curve does not fall off! After the Mark Williams 12 bolt install, I'll recover and one day be able to call myself: HCI1989WS6

Peace

Old 08-10-2014, 11:37 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 58 Likes on 35 Posts

Hi,

I need a new engine and have been looking into upgrading from the LS1 to either an LS2 or LS3.

Is it a bigger step from an LS1 -> LS2 then it is from an LS2 -> LS3 ?

At the moment I am leaning towards an LS2 because of the cost, but if I will miss out a lot by not going for an LS3 I am not so sure anymore.

Anyone with thoughts or experience with similiar decisions (eg. would you choose the same engine again)?

Thanks!
They are all great engines that produce amazing power with a cam, intake and headers, but the LS3 just has more potential mainly because of the heads. You can upgrade the heads on LS1s and LS2s, but the LS3 comes with great heads. Also, the factory Intake on the LS3 is far superior to the others, so that is 1 less piece to have to upgrade. For me, if budget allows, LS3 hands down.
Old 08-10-2014, 03:15 PM
9 Second Club

Speedtigger is right, and thats why my new motor is a LS3. kristov you sad FI is out because of the weight? not sure how you figure that.

I had a LS1 Stang and it ran great, dyno'ed around 365 I think, my new LS3 should dyno around 475 to 500 range and still be just as streetable as my old LS1. But now I have a good set of heads, CNC and finished hand ported.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:34 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

GM made a LOT of improvements to the LS2 and beyond blocks/coils/rotating parts/heads etc. Lots of articles if you wish to read up on upgrades. The 4" bore of the 6.0L and larger motors allows LS3 style heads, not an option on the LS1 and smaller bores.

LS2/3 motors have much more potential upside, but like said before you have to pay for it.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Banned

FI is not an option as it adds too much weight up front.

As we all know you can never get enough power :-)

Stock power for either alternative will suffice for a while and I was thinking it might be better to use more money now and maybe have to spend less in the future when upgrading.

HP-goal is 500hp at the flywheel with great driveability.
You can do that with the ls1 with a good set of heads/cam combo

Quick Reply: LS1 vs LS2 and LS2 vs LS3 - perceived difference in performance?