Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4x4 Truck motor mount

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 07:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 Truck motor mount

Hey all, I've been working on swapping a 5.3 LM7 into my 89 K1500 and I had a question about which LS mount adapters I should be ordering.

Most adapters locate the engine about 1" forward, but I haven't been able to find why that's desirable. Also will having the engine forward 1" still work with my driveshafts?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What transmission are you using?. That answer would have some impact on driveshaft and what plates you might have to use.

Standard plate mounts would place the engine's bell housing flange about 1" forward of where your old/stock Transmission bell housing flange would be positioned. 1" setback plates would move the engine backward to mate up the Gen III/IV engine to the transmission if left in the stock location.

As far as 1" forward, not sure why someone would state that it is what you should be using. ? would research that some more.

So if you used 1" setback with your stock transmission left in place, no drive shaft mod's would be needed..
Old 09-01-2014, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I used Beertester's mounts for my 99 tahoe which kept the OEM tranny exactly in the same spot. I'm pretty pleased with the mounts (but I did add some TIG welding to his welds just for my own sake--probably overkill).
http://www.ls1truck.com/forums/lsx-t...-brackets.html
Old 09-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

The transmission I plan on using is the 5 speed that's in the truck now. I believe it's called an NV3500.
Not that I've been told to use the standard plates for my application, but I did notice they are much more common than the 1" setback plates. I haven't found a reason why.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I used the Dirty Dingo plates on my 98,transmission stayed in the stock location as not to mess with the driveshafts and mounts.Everyone will chime in on how weak the NV3500
is,if you don't hammer on it too bad it will live but plan on upgrading in the future.
Old 09-01-2014, 10:58 PM
Teching In

Goldhawq, I think I may end up doing what you did, those mounts look great. A couple passes with the MIG, a coat of paint, and that should work great.

Yes, I've heard the NV3500 is weak. My plan is as you stated, take it easy for a while, and plan on upgrading later on. Maybe an NV4500, but that's an issue for another time. Thanks for mentioning it tfi racing, I'll keep it in mind.

Quick Reply: 4x4 Truck motor mount