Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Corvette Ls3...in a 71 Firebird-questions...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014 | 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Default 2011 Corvette Ls3...in a 71 Firebird-questions...

I'd like to know if he 2011 Corvette Ls3 that was originally backed by an auto trans would have displacement on demand, active fuel management, etc. I am interested in swapping this engine (need to find a trans) into my 71 Firebird. It would come with all accessories, harness and PCM. Not sure if the accessory drive would work in my car. I'd like to keep the AC system functional. I've done a search and haven't been able to come up with much on the engine or this particular type of swap. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-11-2014 | 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

An LS3 does not have AFM.

It's the L99 from the Camaro that has AFM and VVT and Flex Fuel Capability.
Old 10-11-2014 | 02:57 PM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Thanks. It appears that the AC compressor mounted down low on the passenger side might be in issue with the stock subframe. Does anyone know for sure? I thought I read somewhere that a bracket from Kwik performance might help but can't find the article anywhere. I Plan on getting the stock harness reworked and PCM recalibrated. Are there any other issues anyone knows of that I might run into with this engine in an early 2nd gen F Body?
Old 10-12-2014 | 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by cpd004
Thanks. It appears that the AC compressor mounted down low on the passenger side might be in issue with the stock subframe. Does anyone know for sure? I thought I read somewhere that a bracket from Kwik performance might help but can't find the article anywhere. I Plan on getting the stock harness reworked and PCM recalibrated. Are there any other issues anyone knows of that I might run into with this engine in an early 2nd gen F Body?
If you want to retain the stock LS3 AC location then you will have to make a pocket in the front crossmember. This isn't a big deal and can be done easily.

I would also go with the new Holley F-body mount kit as it was designed to to mount the engine as low as possible, which is critical for proper driveline angles. Holley also offers some alternative AC mounting solutions.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2014 | 10:18 AM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Thanks for the info. It appears that Kwik Performance has an AC bracket that mounts the compressor up higher that might solve that issue. I also found A kit from brphotrods that included engine mounts and a crossmember. It's a bit pricey but seems to be well liked from what I've read.
Old 10-12-2014 | 10:20 AM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Here's that kit:

http://www.brphotrods.com/products/2nd%20gen%20F%20products/index.html
Old 10-12-2014 | 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

If it was my car, I wouldn't use it...but that's me. I am not a fan of how they to the frame stands with the poly inserts. Those will transmit a lot of engine vibrations. The Holley mounts use the later style clam shell mounts which a strong and will isolate the engine better, not to mention making sure it is mounted low in the chassis.

https://holley.com/products/ls_power...parts/12512HKR

Here is the T56 cross member:

https://holley.com/products/ls_power...parts/12616HKR

There is also one for automatics.

Andrew
Old 10-12-2014 | 12:48 PM
TECH Apprentice
15 Year Member

Andrew, thank you for all your help!

I read on Holley's site that I will need the 2292 clam shells to use the Holley engine mounts. Since my sub frame was born Pontiac, wouldn't I have to drill new holes in order for the Holley mounts and the 2292 clam shells to allow the engine to be secured to the sub frame?
Old 10-12-2014 | 12:58 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Andrew, thank you for all your help!

I read on Holley's site that I will need the 2292 clam shells to use the Holley engine mounts. Since my sub frame was born Pontiac, wouldn't I have to drill new holes in order for the Holley mounts and the 2292 clam shells to allow the engine to be secured to the sub frame?
My GTO frame already had the needed holes, but even if you don't have them, the Holley instructions provide a template, so it should be very simple.

Andrew

Quick Reply: 2011 Corvette Ls3...in a 71 Firebird-questions...