Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 - P0171 and P0174 both banks running lean

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 05:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RedHotMike
Well at idle using a vac gauge I was getting around 18 inHG. Don't know about 'tremendous amounts' but there is definitely enough crank case pressure. Sooo - what does all this mean?
You quoted me before I edited. I thought about it and I was wrong at first. I am beginning to confuse myself a bit with all the numbers in different posts. I apologize.

In a perfect world you don't want ANY crank case pressure, but we don't live in a perfect world and you will always have some blow by creating crank case pressure. Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have a lot of pressure building up and when you reconnect your PCV hose its throwing the code.

HOWEVER: you say your getting 18inHg at idle, that converts to about 61kpa, which is NOT what the MAP sensor is reading. Maybe you have a bad MAP sensor

Last edited by Horsepwraddict; 12-19-2014 at 05:38 AM.
Old 12-19-2014, 01:58 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Horsepwraddict
You quoted me before I edited. I thought about it and I was wrong at first. I am beginning to confuse myself a bit with all the numbers in different posts. I apologize.

In a perfect world you don't want ANY crank case pressure, but we don't live in a perfect world and you will always have some blow by creating crank case pressure. Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have a lot of pressure building up and when you reconnect your PCV hose its throwing the code.

HOWEVER: you say your getting 18inHg at idle, that converts to about 61kpa, which is NOT what the MAP sensor is reading. Maybe you have a bad MAP sensor
Hmmmm.... That could be entirely possible. Anybody have a procedure to test a map sensor?

Last edited by RedHotMike; 12-19-2014 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There are procedures out there similar to this:
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/...-map-sensor-1#

But it occurs to me that if your physical gauge says one thing and your MAP(via computer) is telling you something different, that's a decent test right there.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Mercier
There are procedures out there similar to this:
http://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/gm/...-map-sensor-1#

But it occurs to me that if your physical gauge says one thing and your MAP(via computer) is telling you something different, that's a decent test right there.
Thanks and yes, I totally agree - it occurred to me too
Old 12-20-2014, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

On my 5.3 the MAP sensor was actually rather gunked up from PCV crud. These motors are usually very dirty in the intake if you don't run a catch can. Might just pop it off and see if it is stopped up.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Default code P0171, P0174

I borrowed a MAP sensor today and will try it out tomorrow and report. Two bad MAP sensors half a world apart is understandable. Two bad MAP sensors in the same small western town is unbelievable.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just got back from a short road test. Went up the road for about 5 miles with the original MAP and it set a code P0174 about half way there. Kind of cool today and I think the outside temp was a factor in not setting both 171 and 174. Swapped out to the borrowed MAP and came back to the house without setting a code. Looks like we are on track to solving the problem. Before I commit to a definate bad MAP I'll put some more miles on the car. Stay tuned!
Old 12-23-2014, 07:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Failure! The codes were set twice today. Each time I was either at idle or under 40MPH. If the codes are cleared and cruise at 65 MPH everything is fine with no codes. Even when the codes happen the engine doesn't stumble or give any indication of a problem. The hunt continues.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:56 PM
TECH Addict

Do you have EGR or Evap?
Old 12-25-2014, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So the map sensor kind of fixed it lol. Start checking the o rings/grommets around the purge solenoid and evap lines, brake booster vacuum hose, map sensor etc.

Have you checked the throttle body gasket?
Old 12-27-2014, 07:19 PM
Teching In

Ok - I'm nearly ready to call victory on this one. In exasperation I bought a intake gasket kit and swapped them over. When I pulled the manifold, as usual on this motor, everything was as clean as a whistle with no obvious signs of a leak. So, I swapped them over anyway and bolted it all back together. Started it up and it's ran cold better than it ever has since I broke the spring.

Banged on the vac gauge and it's idling at 20 inHg which is about 2inHg better than before. I left it sit there idling for 25 min or so whilst I packed up tools etc and it was rock solid for all that time and didn't throw a code. I'm still not completely sold on the codes because it's gone for an hour or more in the past before returning again but I'm encouraged. A huge thanks to everybody who chipped in with suggestions etc

Of course it's not possible to fix 1 thing without something else going wrong - now there is a metallic rattle which sounds like the exhaust. Cbf'ed looking at that right now - could be a loose baffle (I hope).
Old 12-29-2014, 03:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So you did Intake gaskets A second time and this time it worked? That's interesting, either way I'm happy for you, things like this can wear you down. It's rewarding when you finally get it nailed down
Old 12-29-2014, 04:41 AM
Teching In

So you did Intake gaskets A second time and this time it worked? That's interesting, either way I'm happy for you, things like this can wear you down. It's rewarding when you finally get it nailed down
Nah - only once. Hadn't touched them before that. All I can think of is crazy pressures with the broken valve spring punched a small hole that I couldn't see. Either way it fixed (for good I hope)
Old 12-29-2014, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

oh, you said earlier you did them. Maybe I misunderstood, either way. Good job
Old 12-29-2014, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Our codes are the same but I'm starting to think the cause is different. I also replaced the intake gaskets but still have the codes. The other day I took the temps of the headers and discovered that the two back ones (#7 & #8) were cooler and #8 was very cool at about 180 degrees. Thinking back, the engine was setting for several years before I got it. My bad that I did not clean the injectors but it did fire up and run good. As a side note sometimes it only sets code P0174 which supports the cool temp on #8. Always wanted to make a test stand to clean/test injectors so I ordered new Orings and an ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe I should test vacuum too like Mike did.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Codes P0171, P0174

Built a primitive injector cleaner and got an ultrasonic cleaner. To test I cleaned a buddy's old spare injectors. Four would not even click. Ran them thru the ultrasonic cleaner with water and Shout, then on to the cleaning station. Used carb cleaner in a large syringe, 9 volt battery and a momentary switch to pulse the injector. As the cleaner was forced (2lbs?) thru the injectors I could see the spray pattern change and the liquid coming out a light brown with a smell of varnish (mason jar catcher). Cleaned my injectors and took it for a test drive today. No codes is a 3 mile test. Will test more when the weather warms a bit but before I cleaned the injectors it would have set the codes.
Attached Thumbnails LS1 - P0171 and P0174 both banks running lean-injector-clean-003.jpg  
Old 01-11-2015, 04:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 33willys
Our codes are the same but I'm starting to think the cause is different. I also replaced the intake gaskets but still have the codes. The other day I took the temps of the headers and discovered that the two back ones (#7 & #8) were cooler and #8 was very cool at about 180 degrees. Thinking back, the engine was setting for several years before I got it. My bad that I did not clean the injectors but it did fire up and run good. As a side note sometimes it only sets code P0174 which supports the cool temp on #8. Always wanted to make a test stand to clean/test injectors so I ordered new Orings and an ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe I should test vacuum too like Mike did.
Do both codes trigger simultaneously or are they apart (even by a second or so)?
Old 01-11-2015, 04:43 AM
Teching In

oh, you said earlier you did them. Maybe I misunderstood, either way. Good job
Oh yeah - LTFT are about 2.5% now for anybody who is after a yardstick.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Codes P0171, P0174

My success was short lived. Set he codes twice today. I've replaced the intake gaskets, cleaned the injectors, replaced the fuel pump, replaced the fuel pressure regulator. Noticed the fuel pressure still hovers around 50 PSI. Usually the codes set while at about 45 MPH or coasting down. While at highway speeds everything is fine. Any ideas?
Old 01-18-2015, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

You need to see why your only getting 50psi.. you need to be at 58psi for it to run correctly. What pump are you using now ?...

What brand is the regulator ? for my Vette FPR.. I stick with name brands Delco GF822 or WIX33737

Any kinks in the lines ?

BC

Quick Reply: LS1 - P0171 and P0174 both banks running lean