Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1968 Impala Turbo LY6/4L80e Swap - 798 RWHP @ 17 PSI

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015 | 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by alocker
I almost pulled the trigger on HP Tuners but kept thinking about your prodding on the Holley. That would be the hot setup right there. It will have to wait though, I just blew a mad wad of cash on some parts that will hopefully show up in about a week.
Holley has some amazing deals on Terminator kits right now. Like 20% off list.

https://holley.com/products/fuel_sys.../parts/550-613

Andrew

Last edited by Project GatTagO; 12-16-2015 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-16-2015 | 03:48 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Holley has some amazing deals on Terminator kits right now. Like 20% off list.

https://holley.com/products/fuel_sys.../parts/550-613

Andrew
Yep, next year they will hopefully have the same sale. Tuning and TIG welding are the last 2 skills I really want to learn but don't have the tools. I need more $$$$.
Old 12-17-2015 | 11:38 PM
Teching In

I thought I remembered this car!! I work at LMT it was music to my ears listening to this car make pulls!!
Old 12-18-2015 | 04:40 AM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by LSsomethingorother
I thought I remembered this car!! I work at LMT it was music to my ears listening to this car make pulls!!
Glad you liked it. I was wondering if hearing cars on the dyno while you work got old and I'm sure some days it does. I'm just happy Jesse took care of it. I was super worried it was going to explode on the dyno just because it's was my first turbo build.
Old 12-18-2015 | 11:33 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

....I need more $$$$.
Don't we all brother!!!

I've actually really been jonesing to do a turbo land barge. The 69-72 Grand Prix are really catching my eye.

Andrew
Old 12-18-2015 | 01:50 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Don't we all brother!!!

I've actually really been jonesing to do a turbo land barge. The 69-72 Grand Prix are really catching my eye.

Andrew
Do it even though you know that's just a fancy A-body. Great interiors and perfect engine compartment for a turbo.
Old 12-18-2015 | 01:50 PM
Teching In

Some really loud cars get old but anything with a blower or turbo sounds good haha! Jesse is good ****!!
Old 12-18-2015 | 03:45 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Do it even though you know that's just a fancy A-body. Great interiors and perfect engine compartment for a turbo.
I like that it is an A-body because suspension parts are readily available (not that I would go nuts on it), but the 118 inch wheelbase makes it ride nicer and as you said, there is a ton of room for turbos. The extra 6" of wheelbase on these cars is all ahead of the firewall, so they are basically mid-engine cars, since 90% of the engine is behind the front wheels.

Just imagine slightly lowered with gold wheels, similar to the Hurst 72 models.

Andrew
Old 12-19-2015 | 01:50 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Sharp looking car for sure. I hunted for one back in the day but could not find anything clean in my price range (which I think was $4000 back in 1998) I ended up with a super low mile 76 GP which I know is a totally different animal but cool in a weird way.
Old 12-19-2015 | 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Sharp looking car for sure. I hunted for one back in the day but could not find anything clean in my price range (which I think was $4000 back in 1998) I ended up with a super low mile 76 GP which I know is a totally different animal but cool in a weird way.
I've casually been looking, but nice ones are getting more money than I want to spend. Ideally, I would find a car similar to my Cougar. I don't mind a rough exterior as long as there is no rust and the stock interior is clean, but all that is hard to come by. Cars are either pristine or junk.

Andrew
Old 12-20-2015 | 06:30 AM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

I've casually been looking, but nice ones are getting more money than I want to spend. Ideally, I would find a car similar to my Cougar. I don't mind a rough exterior as long as there is no rust and the stock interior is clean, but all that is hard to come by. Cars are either pristine or junk.

Andrew
Yeah, this is not the area to find the type of car you are looking for unless you are looking for lightweight body panels and frames. I assume the Cougar was a southern car?

There is hope for WI. It's my understanding that the rural areas used sand, not salt in the winter. The cars still rusted but not as badly. I could be wrong on that though. My Impala was a rural WI car and had some rust issues that were repaired but did not have major issues like I see on the bondo buggies around Chicago. I would think craigslist is the place to be looking.
Old 12-20-2015 | 01:38 PM
Staging Lane

Very nicely done car. Great thread as well. I read pretty much every post of your build which I very rarely do. I hope you continue documenting this next round of upgrades as thoroughly as you have been. The sound4boost cutout is really cool. Having a cutout with a semi-restrictive exhaust downstream seems to be a good setup. Do you have any video of the cutout opening and closing?
In boost is a different story. I did one small hit while it was still somewhat dry and was rewarded with an odd sensation I have not felt before. ]
My mustang would do this very noticeably. where the tires are spinning but grabbing hard all at the same time. Pretty much everyone a took for a ride would comment on it to. Made for a very entertaining ride.
Old 12-20-2015 | 07:04 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tanus
Very nicely done car. Great thread as well. I read pretty much every post of your build which I very rarely do. I hope you continue documenting this next round of upgrades as thoroughly as you have been. The sound4boost cutout is really cool. Having a cutout with a semi-restrictive exhaust downstream seems to be a good setup. Do you have any video of the cutout opening and closing?

My mustang would do this very noticeably. where the tires are spinning but grabbing hard all at the same time. Pretty much everyone a took for a ride would comment on it to. Made for a very entertaining ride.
Thank you. I tried to document as much as possible but some interesting things get missed purely because my hands are dirty and I'm not washing up just to take a photo. The cutout has been fun to play with. I have had electric cutouts in the past and this is way better since it's automatic. It doesn't sound that good open at idle anyway. No videos of the actual cutout working though. My Gopro did not survive the superbike crashing of the past. This spring I will probably get a cheap camera that is easier to mount than the phone.
Old 12-20-2015 | 10:30 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Yeah, this is not the area to find the type of car you are looking for unless you are looking for lightweight body panels and frames. I assume the Cougar was a southern car?

There is hope for WI. It's my understanding that the rural areas used sand, not salt in the winter. The cars still rusted but not as badly. I could be wrong on that though. My Impala was a rural WI car and had some rust issues that were repaired but did not have major issues like I see on the bondo buggies around Chicago. I would think craigslist is the place to be looking.
The Cougar was an Illinois car, but it was basically taken off the road around 1971. It was also heavily undercoated. The chassis only has about 25K miles on it. I'll probably be moving back south sometime soon, so the next project will have to wait...

Andrew
Old 12-22-2015 | 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

Thank you. I tried to document as much as possible but some interesting things get missed purely because my hands are dirty and I'm not washing up just to take a photo. The cutout has been fun to play with. I have had electric cutouts in the past and this is way better since it's automatic. It doesn't sound that good open at idle anyway. No videos of the actual cutout working though. My Gopro did not survive the superbike crashing of the past. This spring I will probably get a cheap camera that is easier to mount than the phone.
Well thanks again, your build has given me lots of ideas and inspiration. I definitely like your exhaust setup. Think I'll try to make a similar type of cutout using a throttle body with a internal wastegate actuator or pneumatic cylinder controlling the blade.
Out of curiosity how did you wreck and what were your injuries? I like crash stories. Ive wrecked a bunch of times. Mostly while stunting, but a few times at the track too. My body is pretty beat up from it. I feel like an old man sometimes. I hate to imagine how I'll feel when I actually am a old man, lol.
Old 12-22-2015 | 01:24 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by Tanus
Well thanks again, your build has given me lots of ideas and inspiration. I definitely like your exhaust setup. Think I'll try to make a similar type of cutout using a throttle body with a internal wastegate actuator or pneumatic cylinder controlling the blade.
Out of curiosity how did you wreck and what were your injuries? I like crash stories. Ive wrecked a bunch of times. Mostly while stunting, but a few times at the track too. My body is pretty beat up from it. I feel like an old man sometimes. I hate to imagine how I'll feel when I actually am a old man, lol.
Glad to help. I was inspired by guys like Andrew before my build so it's cool to keep this thing rolling. This weekend I will clean up the cutout to show you how it's built and why it's so expensive. It's very heavy duty and has an oring for a complete seal. Overall it's a very robust and well built piece. Your ideas may work but it will be tough to get a good seal without doing what SP does.

As for the crash, here is the video of the aftermath. I am the one in the air fence. I was medevac'd out but have healed completely. Fractured ribs, fibula, lacerated arm, and shoulder socket trauma. I never thought I would be able to do dips and chins in the gym again but I don't even feel it. I got lucky there was airfence there though. It' ridiculous to some but I have been in 7 motorcycle crashes. 2 street and 5 track but I still love it and hope to do it again when the kids are grown.

Old 12-24-2015 | 01:29 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Messed around with the MSD 2 step install today. Wiring it is a no brainer. You plug in the harness to jump between the coil connection then ground it to activate. The issue with that is it needs to be mounted in the engine compartment and I don't have any spots I like so I removed the connectors to feed the harness through the firewall. The box will mount to the steering column so I wont have to pop the hood to change the activation RPM setting.

I got the hotside back from the coater yesterday. I forgot the name of it but it's an extreme duty black good to 2000f. I had an issue with the turbo log making contact with the upper control arm bolt head. I smoothed the log installed a button head bolt for just a touch more clearance.

I had to send my Spek gauge back to Autometer for the second time to get needle and lens fixed. It came back like this after the first time I sent it back because the bezel was crimped on wrong. I'm a bit disappointed with the quality of this $240 gauge. It also makes a buzzing sound that is audible when the car is not running.

Old 12-24-2015 | 04:36 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Hey Alex,

I just noticed something. Are you running your O2 sensors pre-turbo?

Andrew
Old 12-24-2015 | 07:42 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Hey Alex,

I just noticed something. Are you running your O2 sensors pre-turbo?

Andrew
Yes, both banks s1 are pre turbo. Wideband is in the downpipe.
Old 12-26-2015 | 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Yes, both banks s1 are pre turbo. Wideband is in the downpipe.
Aren't the stock narrow band O2 sensors sensitive to pressure?

Andrew

Quick Reply: 1968 Impala Turbo LY6/4L80e Swap - 798 RWHP @ 17 PSI