Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dakota digital install in chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2016, 09:29 PM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 130fe
I use the BIM-01 (first version) on my VHX install and it is great. My GMPP harness has the oil pressure sender in the harness. I was able to get Tach, speedometer, oil pressure and water temp without any additional wiring. Just plug and play in between the OBD connector and the DD control unit. I did purchase a OBD2 Y cable in order to hook up a scanner if needed. If you have any questions on it, let me know.
I am about done with the wiring on my 65 Chevelle. I do have the BIM Box that I ordered from Dakota Digital along with the VHX Gauges. The BIM box was confusing me until I finally got to the point of trying to figure out how to get a read out for speed and tach.

So if I understand what your saying I just have to plug my ECM harness into the transmission plug. Then plug my BIM box into the OBDII port on the ECM harness then the other end of the BIM box to the VHX box.

If I do this do I still need to run the specific oil and water sensors that Dakota Digital supplies with the VHX gauges? These specific gauges run directly to the VHX box.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-18-2016, 05:11 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my install a couple of years ago, but here is what I remember. The BIM module requires and ign and ground wire. You then connect the 1/8 plug (looks like the headphone plug) from the BIM mod to the main control box. The other connector (that has the OBD connector on it) plugs into the BIM module and then to your OBD plug on your harness. To utilize the BIM module for your engine readings, you have to select CAN for their input when programming using the buttons on the setup menu procedure. For the VHX gauges, voltmeter is read off of the power input on the control panel. Fuel gague reading is taken off of your body harness. Water temp, tach and speedo readings should be taken from the PCM. For the oil pressure, you have to see if your harness (don't know what brand one you are using) to see if there is an oil pressure plug in the harness. The GMPP one (and factory ones) have the plug while some of the other aftermarket ones don't. If yours doesn't you will have to use the sender supplied with the VHX kit. If you have to do this, make sure you set the input setting right on the display menu for setup. If you get a chance, look at the warning light circuit on the VHX control panel. I am using it as my shift light. Simply wire an LED (or other warning bulb) with one side having IGN power and the ground supplied from the control box. Pretty cool little feature. Hope this helps you, if you have anymore questions, please ask away.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 130fe
I did my install a couple of years ago, but here is what I remember. The BIM module requires and ign and ground wire. You then connect the 1/8 plug (looks like the headphone plug) from the BIM mod to the main control box. The other connector (that has the OBD connector on it) plugs into the BIM module and then to your OBD plug on your harness. To utilize the BIM module for your engine readings, you have to select CAN for their input when programming using the buttons on the setup menu procedure. For the VHX gauges, voltmeter is read off of the power input on the control panel. Fuel gague reading is taken off of your body harness. Water temp, tach and speedo readings should be taken from the PCM. For the oil pressure, you have to see if your harness (don't know what brand one you are using) to see if there is an oil pressure plug in the harness. The GMPP one (and factory ones) have the plug while some of the other aftermarket ones don't. If yours doesn't you will have to use the sender supplied with the VHX kit. If you have to do this, make sure you set the input setting right on the display menu for setup. If you get a chance, look at the warning light circuit on the VHX control panel. I am using it as my shift light. Simply wire an LED (or other warning bulb) with one side having IGN power and the ground supplied from the control box. Pretty cool little feature. Hope this helps you, if you have anymore questions, please ask away.
Thanks for the detailed response. I got the Bim box wired in yesterday. It took all of about 15 minutes. It makes complete sense now. Thanks to this board for being so helpful on the entire build.

Quick Reply: Dakota digital install in chevelle