Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1990 VW Corrado - 5.3 S475 th400

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 05:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where are you in cincy? Im right over the bridge in Hebron. Im sure i know some of the same people, my buddy Eric Schmidt is a bigtime vw guy and corrado guy.
Old 02-27-2016, 10:50 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xsboost90
where are you in cincy? Im right over the bridge in Hebron. Im sure i know some of the same people, my buddy Eric Schmidt is a bigtime vw guy and corrado guy.
I'm 40 mins east of Cincy. I'm pretty sure I've met him before, does/did he own a TT and r32? I most likely wouldn't recognize him if I saw him.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 196 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by DW SD
One thought on the trans cooler. If one fitting is not higher (the outlet) I would question if the cooler will remain with a significant amount of air trapped within. I don't think it will operate as efficiently that way.
We have Fords at work that have an almost identical trans cooler and they are mounted just like that and have never seen an issue with it.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
We have Fords at work that have an almost identical trans cooler and they are mounted just like that and have never seen an issue with it.
The stock cooler on my old 07 NBS silverado was mounted the same way. I do see how it may not be 100% efficient.
Old 07-01-2016, 09:48 AM
Launching!

A while back I got a price on a pair of custom made brake line to the sum of around ~$100. Thinking that was overpriced I continued to search for options. Turns out Wilwood sells a kit with -3 an brake lines with all the fittings I needed for $55 shipped. Worked perfect and only had to drill out the vw bracket where the hose meets the hard line.

Name:  43642406-37DA-4F51-84BB-21153E3DE4B1_zpssmmnesyz.jpg
Views: 1250
Size:  171.7 KB

Started getting the interior wiring sorted out as way too many hands have been in it. So I ripped out all of the wiring and started with another harness from my parts car.

From what I can gather the only wires I don't have in there are the ones for the radio and hvac. I mean come on, who needs that?

Name:  2F0A98D1-7C8F-42AB-ADD4-CACE981D11CE_zpsu3ifige3.jpg
Views: 1238
Size:  227.6 KB
Old 07-03-2016, 12:08 PM
Teching In

cool build.
hope to see this in person when it's finished.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Awesome build man. Any updates? I had a Corrado when I was in the Army and kept it after I got out. I always thought I would have another one and just found one for cheap that needs an engine. So I thought hmm ls swap? That's how I found your thread. After seeing the work you have put into this I have to say an ls swap is not in the cards for me. A VR6 will have to do...
Old 09-16-2016, 01:17 PM
Launching!

I got it started the other weeked. Im tackleing the brakes and wiring this weekend as im trying to make a show on the 25th.

https://youtu.be/E61oRYXDfYA
Old 09-16-2016, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice man!
Old 10-04-2016, 06:46 PM
Launching!

Updates are a little late but the corrado did drive in and out of the VW / Porsche reunion in Cincinnati, Ohio. Had several issues in the days prior to the show that got straightened out at last minute with no testing whatsoever.

Got home after the show and put it on the street to see what it would do. It needs an alignment badly so I couldn't do much testing. Has some solid power, as you can imagine, as I barely start getting on it it starts to light up the tires. Haha. Due to some settings not being correct with the MAP sensor settings it goes into engine protect / limp mode, I assume anyways, and kills the throttle as it's DBW. The settings have been changed but haven't had time for testing as there is a handful of other things I want to change before I put it back on the street.

With that all said I see light at the end of the tunnel and I'm very proud of what I've been able to accomplish.
Old 10-30-2016, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Old 10-30-2016, 06:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 119 Likes on 90 Posts

Very cool. Great fabrication and insight to get it this far.
Old 11-26-2016, 10:53 PM
Launching!

We got tags and insurance the other week when I was reminded that my brake lights and turn signals still don't work. Oops. So I stumbled out to the barn and proceeded to attempt to get these problems taken care of so I can begin the tuning process.

Had to weld in a bracket to install the brake light switch and they now work. The turn signals are another story. They all work with the hazard light switch but not on the stalk. Maybe I can get to this tomorrow and it's a simple fix like a fuse or something.

There are so many little things that need done I'm having an issue focusing on one thing at a time as I also bought more little things. 1 step forward and 3 back. Haha.

I also fixed an oil leak at the turbo oil return, welded the bungs for the methanol injection and fixed a coolant leak - I think anyways.

Name:  C8270293-C4CC-4198-B05F-6C151545F017_zpsf5o8apun.jpg
Views: 1218
Size:  174.9 KB
Old 02-13-2017, 01:32 PM
Launching!

I have lacked on updates these next several posts will bring it up to date.

Corrado's that have a cage in them are rather cramped for someone that is as large and in charge as I am. The seats will make you stick your head out the roof as the cage is in the way of leaning the seats back.

What is a person to do? Look for a fixed back seat so you can sit on the floor.

I bring you the kirkey 41 series drag seat.

In the pics it's sitting on the slider rails. At this height I am about 4" below the sunroof, perfect for when I need to wear a helmet. Tomorrow I'll start construction on a seat bracket utilizing the factory rails and front mounting point.

Name:  D80B3A9C-F12B-4134-8585-BD18E31BCA4D_zpst97yfcqd.jpg
Views: 1246
Size:  181.6 KB
Old 02-13-2017, 01:33 PM
Launching!

The journey to this years chili cook off was attempted with the corrado yesterday after a long 12 hrs day getting it back together with my oldest son.

Everything seemed to check out well except I lost all turn signals, hazards, and front marker lights. There was slight hope the relay was bad for the turn signals but being on a tight scheduled I bought one vs testing anything and that wasn't the issue. Vw wiring gremlins had struck again, figured The hell with it I'm going anyways.

As I was leaving the garage... I actually got to hear the wastegates open this time.

Name:  F370833A-C664-4D4B-82FB-15D7C5A9296A_zps6ptfvgbq.jpg
Views: 1181
Size:  140.7 KB

I drove it around my town a little to get used to whatever else was going to head my way.

About 20 mins from home, we started smelling oil of some sort burning. The oldest noticed smoke coming from the panels in the rear and made it safely to a gas station to pull over. At this point a guy pulled in the and walked over and was all excited and wanted to know what kind of car it was and what all was done. He was trying to catch up with me when he saw the smoke and hoped I was going to pull over. He offered to go home and get tools and help me fix it. He was absolutely amazed with everything and asked to take pics. Then another person rolled up and wanted to check it all out. Made me feel pretty good with all things considered.

Name:  5FFF4486-5FB8-413D-BCAD-2D4C15B4F5EA_zpsheayfhuc.jpg
Views: 1207
Size:  99.1 KB

Turns out the smoke was coming from leaking power steering fluid on the heat wrap. I said the hell with it we are going anyways. Then Dani says "What's the red fluid?". Damn. We aren't going any where now.

Name:  BB9CBD34-5D83-463C-B677-6F52F1F77426_zpsfev7bwwq.jpg
Views: 1286
Size:  265.9 KB

Those same 2 guys help me push the car to the back lot to be trailered later on.

Car is back home but it will be a while until I can diagnose the issues.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 PM
Launching!

[quote name='888' timestamp='1486221734' post='1145795']
as much as you have done a few fluid leaks arent hateful. disappointing for sure but in the big picture, pretty impressive.
[/quote]

I wouldn't expect anything less from a project like this. Nothing broke or caught fire and I drove for about an hour that day. I consider that a success. It may have broken down but that's why I have a truck and trailer.

Got it up on the lift today and found the leak. The transmission line got melted by the downpipe. When I installed the engine dip stick tube the lines wound up being on the wrong side of the tube and up against the downpipe. Guess I should have paid more attention.

Wasn't able to find the power steering leak yet but one thing at a time as I could find anything leaking.

The day before the chili cook off I did get the drivers seat mount done and kirkey seat, cover and 5 point harnesses installed. It doesn't look comfortable but I can assure you it is.

Name:  6C11CE9E-68CF-4696-BDC2-51CEA3BC83C2_zpsojll48ut.jpg
Views: 1223
Size:  206.3 KB

Name:  399134FD-A380-4FC5-B118-67C2E2B95C06_zpskruonpsl.jpg
Views: 1233
Size:  257.4 KB
Old 03-19-2017, 05:29 PM
Launching!

Transmission lines have been replaced, rerouted and put insulators over them near the downpipe.

Here's a biggie. Got the cluster to work! At least the gas guage, turn signals, speedometer and tach!

For now I gave up on trying to get a spare idiot light working for the CEL but I've kinda run into a wall on that one. Also haven't figured out why the coolant sensor isn't working yet either. But none the less, I am stoked!

Name:  826AE334-106A-415E-A1BF-3F4AC4CA2F05_zpsrrcnsgdl.jpg
Views: 1213
Size:  207.5 KB
Old 10-03-2017, 05:09 AM
Launching!

I see it has been quite some time since an update.

There was quite a few little things that needed done prior to any real journey.

The power steering pulley had to be aligned with the other pulleys, wideband needed hooked up and wired into hp tuners, ventless pcv catch can, and fuel cell vent was rigged up to the original vent at the gas cap assembly. Just ordered the correct parts to finish the vent last night.

LSX power tuning is who I chose to do my tuning. They are based in Texas and I'm going the email tune route. I have the wideband hooked up to the hp tuners for data logging and just keep going back and forth.

Prior to all of this I may have only driven the car approx 50 miles and have been working the bugs out as they appear. Took a chance last weekend and drove the car up to Kettering, which was approx 40 miles. Car ran very well on the base tune but I made sure I took it easy. The 3500 stall convertor make things feel a little odd as if the transmission is slipping when you not giving it much gas. Transmission has a shift kit in it as well and the 1-2 shift gets the car loose. Which makes the pucker factor go up a little. Haha

So now I need to send out my data log and wait for my new tune

Photobucket has succeeded in screwing over all forums. I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to repair the couple of threads I have on this build.

Last edited by etijsma; 10-03-2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:12 AM
Launching!

About 2 months ago, my cousins came over and we got the new tune loaded, aem wideband hooked up and a couple of misc things done.

One cousin left and the other went for a ride with me for some data logging. Went down the back yard drag strip and got on it about 60-80 mph. The car ran incredibly smooth. So smooth I didn't know I was laying solid rubber at those speeds. This wasn't your normal burnout. This had to be let off as it wasn't stopping.

Wow!

Not giving any of this any thought while driving around I kept screwing around.

Guess what?

Boom. In a glorious burn out. Haha.

It still runs but it's hard to start. I have have oil and coolant everywhere and haven't found where it came from. It appears somewhere behind the passenger head.

YesterI was looking around and found my wastegate vacuum line had come off the Tee. So I no boost control. I must have been running 20+ psi at WELL over 600 hp. It was sweet!

im bummed that I have to work on it once again but I was having fun, and that my friends, is all that matters.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:13 AM
Launching!

Carnage. Cyl 5. Ring lands melted and rings folded up and scored the cyl.

Oil was everywhere as the cyl pressure blew the valve cover gasket out a little on the passenger side.

Quick Reply: 1990 VW Corrado - 5.3 S475 th400