Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A little overwhelmed, could use some insight.

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2015, 05:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A little overwhelmed, could use some insight.

Hey everyone, just wanted to ask a few questions about this swap I'm about to dive in to.

I bought a wrecked 2003 Tahoe and am in the process of parting it out and am to where I need to remove the engine and harness to swap into the project car and have a few questions.

I'm dangerous enough with wiring that I manage to rewire my entire 89 corvette race car, but it's carb now and has very few electronics so it was mostly just power and ground wires. This Tahoe wiring is a bit more complicated.

First question:

Does this thing on the accelerator pedal need to be there, or can it be removed? It's attached around under the dash to a larger similar piece on the brake pedal.

Next:

This is a LOT of wires. I know I don't need most of them. I REALLY do not want to gut the whole truck of every wire, so this is where I'm overwhelmed. Do I keep the fuse box? Cut the wires that go into the cabin? Etc. I'm up for any help on this. It's a little out of my realm of mechanical things, but I just need a push in the right direction to get started, I just need a starting point.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you can unplug everything at or near fuse panel just dont cut anything. take gas pedal out pushing wire plug thru firewall. other end will be at tach box which is on firewall between brake booster & left fender. keep them together (tach box ,wiring gas, pedal). Theres a bolt in each plug bottom side fuse panel you can take apart to get fuse panel out of way. since your nervous leave all wiring attatched to motor. take everything loose from body side lay on motor. you can take off engine label all later for your memory. Later you can get on LT1Swap.com print off list on wiring to remove. intimidating but not hard. any thing more ask away or befriend I help you. I done two harnesses from trucks. one cable, one dbw.
Old 03-26-2015, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

I've got the pedal off the firewall and the tach box as well. I see the pedal position sensor, but what is the thing that goes from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal? It's not a wire from what I can see. It looks almost like a cable or something, similar to an old style speedometer cable.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 197 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Black89Z51
I've got the pedal off the firewall and the tach box as well. I see the pedal position sensor, but what is the thing that goes from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal? It's not a wire from what I can see. It looks almost like a cable or something, similar to an old style speedometer cable.
That cable is for the power adjustable pedals. Do yourself a favor and find a pedal out of a truck without it, since that pedal will be huge. Although if you are going to have to modify the pedal a lot, it may not make much difference.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 334 Likes on 227 Posts

I'll try and help...

Fuse box...

Four connectors on the bottom of fuse box...

(Black connector in the middle)
This is the main one that will go with the harness to the engine. It and the two that go to the ECM. (There are a couple of smaller ones also. They are quite obvious when you get to them.)

Orange, green and white stay with vehicle...
Black one in my hand is one you want...

Here's a pic of the three connectors you will end up with...very simple.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Excellent info guys, thank you. I'll see what I need to do about the power pedal thing.

Quick Reply: A little overwhelmed, could use some insight.