Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 conversion project (66tempest)

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 conversion project (66tempest)

5.3 conversion project (66tempest)-5.3-truck-engine.jpg

5.3 conversion project (66tempest)-66-le-mans.jpg

Here are the pics from my new project. After getting some great advise, I think I'll be using the Holley oil pan. Now, I after reading some post I have a couple of more questions. seems like guys are swapping the intake for hood clearance then having to change the water pump. Are most people going through hood clearance issue on A-body muscle cars? Should I wait on buying the shorter manifold? And I would also like to know what brand mount conversions are you using and did you have any issues with the brand mounts you bought? I don't want to be pulling this drive train in and out 100 times.
Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I used the adapter plates with several hole selections on 76 skylark. they go on fine but when trying to go on sbc mounts on frame width was changed cause of plate thickness. water pump is by choice of basically how upper hose located. dimpling hose tube on water pump will clear cable throttle body usually. I dont know on hood clearance.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:14 PM
Teching In

Default '66 Lemans

I am also doing a '66 Lemans conv. with an '05 5.3 L33 motor and a T5 trans. I used the Car store mounts and adapter plates(the adapter plates were offset one inch to leave the trans in its original location) everything bolted up nicely. The oil pan will be an issue. I am going with the holley pan as well. The motor I bought already had the hummer H3 pan installed and the crossmember clearance is only about 1/4" no bueno.

Good luck with the build.

Quick Reply: 5.3 conversion project (66tempest)