Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

71 Trans Am LQ4 swap (Mucho pics!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 11:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts

The harness is starting to shape up. Obviously its not done yet, but at least now I have an idea on what it'll look like.

Name:  Harness%20improvement_zpscfxwol4n.jpg
Views: 328
Size:  166.5 KB
Old 06-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that Pontiac blue looks great! Great job on the progress so far!
Old 06-16-2015, 11:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RubbercitySS
Man that Pontiac blue looks great! Great job on the progress so far!
Thanks man!

I finally got the harness completed, installed, and wired up. I built the fuse box myself using the guide on lt1swap.com.

I hope to have the exhaust on it by this weekend. It's just a basic H pipe setup running into two knockoff Flowmaster 40's dumped before the axle. I'm going to get the computer tuned by Frost. Hopefully when that comes back I should have the car moving under its own power!

Name:  harness%20done%20bro_zpssud8apac.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  151.7 KB
Old 06-17-2015, 05:21 PM
Teching In

Car looks great! does the alternator clear stock hood? Has anyone used cbr alternator bracket with stock hood on 2nd gen camaro?
Old 06-18-2015, 05:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

I haven't had the hood back on the car yet, but I see no reason why it wouldn't fit. The alternator sits below the fenders. It'll be close, but shouldn't cause any issues.
Old 06-19-2015, 07:54 AM
Teching In

Like the blue engine. Looks better without the vette covers. Jmo. I am doing a swap on a malibu. Almost at the wiring stage. I have a harness from a van. Little different than the truck. I guess I just need to dive in. Nice pics keep it up.

Last edited by KyleBblazercrazy; 06-19-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:04 AM
Teching In

I have seen several people relocate the coils to the firewall or even the inner fender. This allows the valve covers to be seen. Also it gives the engine compartment a cleaner look. You just need longer plug wires and adjust the injector connections. But it looks cool. I thought about doing it my self but my vc aren't that impressive.
Old 06-19-2015, 10:58 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by KyleBblazercrazy
Like the blue engine. Looks better without the vette covers. Jmo. I am doing a swap on a malibu. Almost at the wiring stage. I have a harness from a van. Little different than the truck. I guess I just need to dive in. Nice pics keep it up.
Thanks for the props! If I was going to run covers I would fill in the Corvette lettering and paint them up nicely. I'm pretty happy with how the wiring looks inside the engine bay so I don't mind not running covers for now.

Doing the harness is pretty easy actually. Removing the wires you don't need from the harness is child's play. The only thing I wish I did was build the fuse box and OBD2 port outside the car. I jumped ahead of myself and installed the harness by snaking in through a hole in the firewall. So now I had to take the passenger seat out so I can build the fuse box and port. I got it done, just did it the harder way.

Originally Posted by KyleBblazercrazy
I have seen several people relocate the coils to the firewall or even the inner fender. This allows the valve covers to be seen. Also it gives the engine compartment a cleaner look. You just need longer plug wires and adjust the injector connections. But it looks cool. I thought about doing it my self but my vc aren't that impressive.
I was actually planning on doing this but I decided to just get the car running first before I start dealing with little stuff like that. I do really like the look of the coils mounted somewhere where you cant see them.
Old 06-29-2015, 08:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Small update:

I'm waiting for my computer to come back before I can fire the car up, so in the mean time I've been completing small tasks. The first was installing new Temp and Oil gauges. I like the silver face on the T/A bezel! I also took a pillar pod made for a 99-07 Silverado and decided to start molding it into my pillar. I took a heat gun and got it to mold to the shape of the pillar and mounted it using adhesive. I'll come back with some filler and mold it into the pillar. I don't think anyone makes these for our cars, so I figured I'd give it a shot. I'll be putting a wideband in it.

The last few pics are the sidewalls of my tires that I sanded smooth. I have big plans for these! I'm sure some of you might know what I'm doing here, but for those that don't I'm planning on running "Billboard" style Good Year lettering often found on Cobra's.

Name:  Gauges%201_zpsxzcygn1f.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  137.7 KB

Name:  Gauges%205_zpsldbzu6li.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  161.0 KB

Name:  Gauges%202_zpsfg9andsa.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  131.7 KB

Name:  Gauges%203_zpse5nwy7tp.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  152.1 KB

Name:  smooth%203_zpsmpluanw9.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  142.2 KB

Name:  smooth%204_zpsglhyhjwa.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  146.3 KB

Name:  smooth%201_zpsetddgajy.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  120.4 KB
Old 06-29-2015, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

The center air vents are a good location to place your gauges. If you're not running A/C, that is. Just out of curiosity, why not go with stock gauges?
Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by '87 Monte SS
The center air vents are a good location to place your gauges. If you're not running A/C, that is. Just out of curiosity, why not go with stock gauges?
That's where I placed the new oil and temp gauges in the first pic. I like the aftermarket gauges better, plus I didn't have the original sending units for the stock gauges.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 07-01-2015, 11:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Exactly^^^ I love everything about that picture!
Old 07-01-2015, 12:11 PM
Staging Lane

Wow! Love the build.
Old 07-02-2015, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 87blackbird
Wow! Love the build.
Thanks man!

I actually finished the wiring the other day, hooked the fuel system up, put the battery in and turned the key to the on position. The system primed and the DBW throttle works, so I guess I did something right. I need to chase down a few fuel leaks but so far so good. I'm really struggling with getting the factory steel line to seal with the AN line at the flare.

Question:

The purple wire for the starter is just my old one right? I don't have to do anything with the purple wire from the stock LS harness?
Old 07-03-2015, 07:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I got the car fired up today! Still need to run the exhaust and make an air intake but the car finally moves under its own power again!

Turned the key, fired over within 2 seconds, idled right down and ran smooth as silk. I was actually able to drive it back in the garage instead of push!
Old 07-07-2015, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blueracer15
enough room for some twins!!!!
There is a whole lotta room! I'm thinking about a single down the road, maybe over this winter?

I'm working on finishing up my car trailer so I can get the T/A down to the exhaust shop.
Old 07-14-2015, 05:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got an earlier opening at the exhaust shop, so I loaded it up and headed down today. I also received my lettering for the tires, and I think its gonna look sick!

Name:  exhaust%20shop%202_zpsuzbzgvah.jpg
Views: 266
Size:  112.0 KB

Name:  exhaust%20shop%201_zpshg2y6sg4.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  107.3 KB
Old 07-15-2015, 05:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just got back from the exhaust shop. The car sounds very good, and just from driving around the yard I can tell the car should be pretty fun!
Old 07-16-2015, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

I worked on the car a little today. I got the wideband installed, coolant filled and circulated, and got the electric fan wired up and working.

I'm getting two codes. One is driver side overly rich condition, and the other is passenger side lean condition. This is verified through the wideband, as its installed in the driver side pipe and after warming up its reading 10.0 flat. Its steady @ 14.5 afr until the car starts to warm up, then it goes full rich.

Any ideas on where to start looking?

Quick Reply: 71 Trans Am LQ4 swap (Mucho pics!)