Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volvette Build - 1990 Volvo 740

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got my 740 and have been thinking of putting my uncles corvette engine in mine but had no idea where to even start 😑😑. I want my 740 to be a monster sense i know ill have to eventually replace the engine.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:05 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 465 Likes on 351 Posts

Just found this one - enjoyed going through build this morning. I've pondered this approach with my 242 as the C5 wheelbase is only .2" different than the 200 series cars. Of course, all that does is eliminate the torque tube/DS length changes. And, I suspect the track adjustments are even more significant as the 200 series is narrower than the 700 series. 1800 hours. Basically a full time job for a year. Better start my drinking now....

Nice job.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Just a weak little burnout. More to come.

Got the tune 90% dialed in, had a little more to learn tuning a wire car over a cable.

Going to be hitting the AutoX course for the first time next weekend! We'll see what breaks!
Old 10-15-2017, 07:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Updates?
Old 10-15-2017, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,111 Likes on 2,426 Posts

GOTTA love a hot wagon!!
Old 10-18-2017, 12:27 PM
Staging Lane

Car did pretty well at AutoX. The rear end was a little squirly so I played with shock settings and got it a little better. But I am runing different tires front/rear which isnt helping. For next summer I'm going to put some R888 on her. But the car survived and nothing broke!

On the way home the fuel pump started cavatating again and sent little bits of metal down the system clogging up the filter just before the injectors choking it off. So I took off the swirl pot and changed fuel pumps but I am still struggling with the system. I never thought it would be so hard to run an inline fuel pump. I wont get into it since I started another thread on this.

Old 10-18-2017, 02:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Looks and sounds good on the 'cross!

I couldn't wait to DITCH my OEM inline and just put a single in-tank unit in mine. Cooler, quieter, all upside as far as I'm concerned. Especially on a vehicle that came with an in-tank and fuel injection. Used a Deatschwerks DW300 and -6AN lines/fittings.
Old 10-18-2017, 08:22 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Looks and sounds good on the 'cross!

I couldn't wait to DITCH my OEM inline and just put a single in-tank unit in mine. Cooler, quieter, all upside as far as I'm concerned. Especially on a vehicle that came with an in-tank and fuel injection. Used a Deatschwerks DW300 and -6AN lines/fittings.
I'm starting to jump on that boat myself, I guess that's why most OEMs use it. The problem is I have a full custom fuel system. I can't seem to find a universal rectangular tank/fuel pump combo. Or maybe people are modifying their universal tanks to accept an in tank pump?
Old 10-18-2017, 09:23 PM
TECH Junkie

"...universal tank...." ???? Probably I've forgotten from my brief run through of the thread. You had to do away with the Volvo OEM tank when you dropped the body over the Vette bits, right?
Old 10-19-2017, 08:35 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
"...universal tank...." ???? Probably I've forgotten from my brief run through of the thread. You had to do away with the Volvo OEM tank when you dropped the body over the Vette bits, right?

That is correct, I currently have a Summit 16 gallon universal tank. The transmission wouldnt play nice with the OEM volvo fuel tank.
Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Staging Lane

Sub'd just because this is cool...
Old 10-19-2017, 12:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Some folks cut the tank and put a little baffled space in for the in-tank pump to work from. Others just build a small "sump" onto the bottom or side/end or even a small "pump tank" that the big tank gravity feeds into.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:51 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I'm sure the issue was more the size of the torque tube passing through rather than the tank design itself.
Old 10-19-2017, 01:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Yeah - my 240 has the tank behind the rear axle. No familiar with the placement of the tank in your body style. Scroll to bottom of first page -- here he cuts open a new port in a Volvo tank and fabs a new pump hanger/baffle/etc. May give some ideas....

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=336151
Old 10-24-2017, 01:52 PM
Staging Lane

I just realized I never posted about the Dry sump system and some interior bits.

Here are a couple pictures of the system in the engine bay. I don't think I would ever do another dry sump system again but its in there and I've had good oil pressure so far. But I havn't done any road course action yet. The system is Aviaid and has a 3 stage pump which mounts where the AC was.

Here is the interior as of now, made the center piece out of fiberglass and swade covered it. 3d printed a phone mount and cup holder (need to install the cup holder part of it). New steering wheel, hula girl, wide band. Still need to paint the cage and wrap the dashboard. Also plan on 3d printing some plastic bits that go under the dashboard to cover up some wires. Its not the fanciest thing but I like it.

Old 10-24-2017, 03:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice!
Old 02-11-2018, 05:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Update?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Did you find an intank pump setup? Have you looked at the aeromotive phantom universal mount pump? I think it would fit well on your fuel cell.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 1964SS
Did you find an intank pump setup? Have you looked at the aeromotive phantom universal mount pump? I think it would fit well on your fuel cell.

I did see that one, the only one I found that I liked was that. The only thing that I didn't like the was the price. I'm sure it's worth the money and would work well and if I did it again I would probably go that route.

But since I had 90% of the fuel system done I ended up going with a Holly Hydramat and it worked wonders. Even accidently went to empty on the tank (which I needed to at some point anyway to "tune" the fuel level sensor) and the tank was bone dry, sucked everything up. I was impressed. Little expensive and I wonder how long it will last since it also acts as the filter. Time will tell now.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:25 PM
Staging Lane

I don't have a whole lot of updates since winter is in full force here. The Volvettes been sleeping most of it. But that’s not to say nothings getting done.

I've been having a condensation issue. I have lots of moisture on the oil filler cap and I get lots of moisture in my oil tanks breather catch can. The catch can will fill up fast after around 4-5 WOT runs with a nasty oil water mix. Due to it being dry sumped, I have all the PCV lines blocked off but I am still not getting any vacuum built up in the engine. I did have an oil pan leak earlier last year (but it seemed to go away) so I think I’m going toput a new oil pan gasket on the car with the thought being I have a pin hole somewhere and thus no vacuum and maybe sucking in moisture from atmosphere?

Due to being paranoid that maybe what I was getting was coolant in the oil I did a compression check on the motor and got 190-197 psi on all cylinders. phew...

I broke the torque tube at my extension piece in the middle doing aburnout so I temporarily bolted it together. I bought another torque tube and milled off the welds and am in process of getting the center tube machinedand welded on. It should be much stronger now. Then I will just swap thetwo. Hoping to get this done in about 3 weeks. While I have the drivetrain off I'll do the oil pan gasket and shorten the 5 foot long shifter.

Oh,and I painted the roll cage finally. Nothing fancy, just left over bed linerpaint.

Quick Reply: Volvette Build - 1990 Volvo 740