Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown 700r4 to 4l60e questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown 700r4 to 4l60e questions

First off I know I need to update my build thread. Got my 4runner project together and running back in may. Took it to summer crusin in Ocean City, MD. I have about 700 miles on the build so far. I rebuilt the trans during the build with a monster transmission monster in a box kit. The trans has been fine and shifting perfect.

We were tuning it this past weekend and the TV cable adjuster popped out of adjustment when I was rolling in and out of the throttle on the hwy. The trans started slipping drove it about a quarter mile till I could pull over and check it out. I readjusted the cable and now I have no 3rd or 4th gear. Ive already accepted that that I need to pull the trans and put new clutches in.

Id like to step up to a 4l60e but money is tight right now. I have the Advanced Adapters from 700r4 or 4 bolt tail housing 4l60/e to Toyota gear driven t-case. it has no provisions for speed sensor. can I find a VSS run off the Toyota Speedo cable? Can that be set up in HPTuners?

heres my current options:
A. Rebuild 700r4 with a manual valve body
B. Rebuild 700r4 with a Lokar TV cable so it doesn't come out of adjustment
C. find a 4 Bolt 94-97 4l60e and find a VSS to work
D. get a 98+ 4l60e and buy the Advanced Adapters $800 6 bolt/VSS to Toyota t-case
E. get a 4l60e with a different passenger side drop t-case

As far as saving money Im leaning towards option A or B. Im afraid of the whole TV cable situation. I don't want it to go out on me on a road trip. I don't think I want a manual valve body because Id like to keep the auto shifting. what do you guys think. Iv been trying to research as much as I can.

Quick Reply: Blown 700r4 to 4l60e questions