Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S10 LQ4 help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 12:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default S10 LQ4 help

Ok guys talk me into it or out of it. Got an 03 s10 extreme reg cab 4.3 5spd. I have located an 04 lq4 with ecm, harness and 4l80E. The more I look into it I don't think I may be able to afford to do it. I am seeing things like custom harness $850-1000. $500 to get a fuel pump, regulator and attach the lines to the factory ones? What are my options on the fuel system and transmission crossmember? I was hoping there was a replacement pump I could just drop in? What is a good tranny cooler?
Old 09-06-2015, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Harness $600.00
Why a 4l80-e? a 60-e is decent enough.
Walboro pump $130.00
Transmission cooler, just head to a wreckers, they probably have a bunch of $10.00
Old 09-07-2015, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 78 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 01tam6
Ok guys talk me into it or out of it. Got an 03 s10 extreme reg cab 4.3 5spd. I have located an 04 lq4 with ecm, harness and 4l80E. The more I look into it I don't think I may be able to afford to do it. I am seeing things like custom harness $850-1000. $500 to get a fuel pump, regulator and attach the lines to the factory ones? What are my options on the fuel system and transmission crossmember? I was hoping there was a replacement pump I could just drop in? What is a good tranny cooler?
My harness was about 500, BP automotive. My fuel set up is an aem320 in the stock bucket using a corvette filter/regulator and fittings/an line with a homemade hotwire relay. My fuel system was probably 300 all said.

That said, it wasn't cheap to swap. I must have 10k in parts in the truck, not including the long block. Radiator, exhaust, intake, trans, it wasn't cheap. If it was, i wouldn't be nearly as comfortable daily driving it when I'm done.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 202 Likes on 166 Posts

Yes, it is not cheap to do this swap properly. I have seen people say they did their swap for less than $1500, but honestly, how reliable can it be like that? To buy the proper pan is like $400. Holley makes a great pan, no compromise. It doesn't hang down low like the Hummer Hot Rod pan does. I mean, if you have to worry about busting your pan, how good is your swap?

As far as wiring goes, yep, that is also expensive. Guys repin harnesses, and that is fine. It takes a lot of time and patience. I have done this in the past. On my swap, I had CPW build a custom harness. Plug and play, everything works like factory, and I don't have to worry about old wires, or loose pins from being depined.

On my fuel, I got a F-Body Walbro 255 pump, dropped right in my bucket, but mine is different than yours. I also used the Corvette filter/regulator.

On cooling, you really need a decent radiator. I started with a factory 4.3 HD unit, and 2 10" pusher fans. It cooled ok, but would not support a/c. I have now swapped to a Superior Radiator. There are tons of things that add up on these, including the exhaust.
Old 09-09-2015, 11:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rpturbo
I mean, if you have to worry about busting your pan, how good is your swap?
I agree. It always pisses me off when people say "Yeah, I LS swapped my S10 for $16 and a king size Milky Way"... yeah, and your wiring is held together with paper clips and you have to keep it under 28MPH.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the replies!
Old 09-11-2015, 10:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Like stated above if you really do some research and ask around alot of dudes can help you through it and even help you through building your own harness. I built the harness for my truck which is a 5.3/4l80e combo and if you slow down and take your time route it nice it can be done properly, but don't think you will get it done in one night or even a weekend at that. I have 2 weeks into getting my harness done and right but it can be done without buying a swap harness from CPW.

Fuel system you can do a drop in walbro 255lph with a vette regulator and then you can do the lines the way you want I did stainless braided the whole way.

Crossmembers best way to go about it is fab your own, know one makes an 80e crossmember for these trucks fabbing a crossmember is easy though just search ways others are doing theirs.

Tranny cool just get a nice one like a trucool 40k in a good mounting position with lots of air flow. I have a dual core aluminium radiator using the trans cooler in that and my transmission gets hot if I drive it any great distance. I just picked up a trucool to correct the issue.
Old 09-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Teching In

just my 2 cents, you better really want it. When I did my swap it was mostly by myself, I spent 16 hr days 7 days a week for a month and a half. Its alot of hard work. my swap is old and things cost more back then I spent 6800 total and that was pinching pennies and fabricating almost everything.

my advice would be if you want it DO IT.
Old 09-11-2015, 03:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Figure your ballpark for swap would be around $5k. I did a lot of research back in the days of owning a blazer and I ended up buying a car with a LS already in it. Cost me a lot more though.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Figure your ballpark for swap would be around $5k. I did a lot of research back in the days of owning a blazer and I ended up buying a car with a LS already in it. Cost me a lot more though.
Double that and be prepared to spend it

Quick Reply: S10 LQ4 help