Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GMT400 Wiring Questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMT400 Wiring Questions

All, Im looking for some help. Ive been at this swap for some months now, and now that the snow is about to fall, Ive got to get it done NOW. I'm doing a LM7 swap into a Suburban that already had a NV4500 swapped in place of the 4L60E. Ive gotten the LS harness squared away (as far as removing things per lt1swap.com) so now I'm at the point where I need to integrate parts of the LS harness into the Suburbans stock harness. I believe the VSS needs to be spliced into the Suburbans C100 E6&7, but I'm not sure. There's other circuits that need splicing, but I just need clarification of what needs to be added where.

I've searched high and low during the last seven months of this project and have found some great projects (Jeebalow, Green95Hoe, amongst many others) and some great written info (S&P's 13pg PDF), hell not to mention Brendan's amazing write up on lt1swap.com. With all of that great info, wiring the two harnesses has been glossed over for whatever reason(s). But that's ok, I guess with whoevers help I will fill in the blanks.

Ive posted this question on many of those fullsize sites, and not one person has the answer for me. Not one reply. So I heard this place has answers, I thought Id try here.

Thanks in advance.

Nick
Old 10-23-2015, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I will reply, but I'm dumb as a stump. Lol I am putting a l83 in a 89 silverado so I am in the same boat as you. I believe most of the wiring is straight forward, ignition, starter wires, etc. I saved the old harness so I can keep the temp and oil pressure sensors. And the wiring to the a/c compressor. The one thing I am worried about is the anti lock brakes. Not sure if you need to keep the old computer to control them.
Old 10-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by frige
I will reply, but I'm dumb as a stump. Lol I am putting a l83 in a 89 silverado so I am in the same boat as you. I believe most of the wiring is straight forward, ignition, starter wires, etc. I saved the old harness so I can keep the temp and oil pressure sensors. And the wiring to the a/c compressor. The one thing I am worried about is the anti lock brakes. Not sure if you need to keep the old computer to control them.
I'm sure it is fairly straightforward, but I am looking for "pin to pin" directions. The other day I labeled all the wires coming from the driver side firewall and there were at least three wires that we're called "ignition feed" from the service manual. So what do those do and where should they go? Maybe I'm overthinking this, but I just want to make sure so I don't burn down my truck.

As far as the ABS goes, I'm pretty sure it has its own computer. But that's exactly the info I need too.

Good luck with your swap. I appreciate you chiming in.

Nick
Old 10-24-2015, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Frige, I believe this may help you.

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31954

Nick
Old 10-26-2015, 06:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Suburban,
I will definitely follow this guy. I am getting started on mine now. The old drivetrain is gone and I am starting to strip the wiring from the l83. After a lot of research I believe I am removing the antilock brakes. They are said to give a lot of problems in my year truck, so I dont need the old computer.
Old 10-26-2015, 07:23 PM
Teching In

Thanks Suburban,
I will definitely follow this guy. I am getting started on mine now. The old drivetrain is gone and I am starting to strip the wiring from the l83. After a lot of research I believe I am removing the antilock brakes. They are said to give a lot of problems in my year truck, so I dont need the old computer.
No problem, glad I could help. Let me say one thing, be absolutely sure you do not need whatever you are stripping out of the harness. And even if you are absolutely sure, save what ever you took out until you are done. I cut out A/C wires from my GMT400 harness and removed pins and wires from my LS harness, and now that Im ready to splice the two together, I am finding that I needed the A/C wires and some of the wires I took out of the LS harness. Luckily I saved everything and just had to go digging. Just my two cents.

Again, best of luck!
Old 08-28-2016, 03:39 PM
Teching In

Default Still Need LS Swap Harness Help

I havent been able to work on the project much, but now I kinda have to since winter is on its way.

I just have some questions regarding where some wires go that are connected to the '95 C100 connector.

Any help would be appreciated.

Quick Reply: GMT400 Wiring Questions