Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

97 lt1 z to 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2016, 09:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 lt1 z to 5.3

Already have the ls k member, ls p/s rack and steering linkage and an iron 5.3. My question is using the truck motor what accessories do I keep and what has to be sourced from a ls1? And what rails and injectors do y'all recommend? I'm sure there's a sticky but I dont wanna scroll through 100+ pages of bs to find a few lines of usable info lol. Thanks in advance guys
Old 08-29-2016, 10:41 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

99% of all parts are interchangeable. You can use vette accessories on a 5.3 if you want. The Only difference being that an iron 5.3 won't have the holes drilled for F-body alternator bracket, but you can easily drill/tap them yourself. Aluminum 5.3s ARE drilled/tapped already for the bracket.
Old 08-29-2016, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Yeah I heard about having to drill/and tap a hole on the the iron blocks, I'm just trying to see what off the 5.3 I can/can't use before I go buying all thw fbody accessories and brackets
Old 08-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Restricted User

You can't use the oil pan without having it cut down. You can't use the intake if it won't clear the hood.

I can't say much about accessories, I've used truck accessories in every swap I've done so far.
Old 08-29-2016, 11:04 AM
Teching In

Already have a new ls fbody pan and pick up, my motor didn't have the intake when I got it and probably just go with a ls6 intake, rails and injectors. I mean like is the crank pulley/balancer work with the fbodys accessories and what about the w/p? Will the factory lt1 fuel system work as far as pumps and **** go, all that crap lol. These are the things keep me up at night lol

Old 08-29-2016, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

Water pump and crank pulley need to be matched to the 4th gen drive, they'll stick too far out otherwise if you use the truck pieces. Injectors depend on modifications, seems like you're staying fairly stock so LS6 injectors are fine. Fuel lines are fine, you'll need to add in a vette filter/regulator for the factory supply and return line with a supply coming off that to the rail so you'll be adding a few fittings in or I guess you could just connect the filter/regulator to the fuel rail and push on the factory fittings to the inlet side. Pump wise I used a Racetronix since a nearly 20 year old electric pump doesn't owe me anything.
Old 08-29-2016, 01:19 PM
Restricted User

Spacing on the truck stuff is different. If you use one Truck pulley, you have to use them all.

Balancer will need to match. You can't use an F body balancer with truck accessories, but you can use a F body water pump and truck accessories if you use spacers.