Sponsored by:

LQ4/4L80E 68 Chevelle

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default LQ4/4L80E 68 Chevelle

Hello all,

I have the motor ready for the machine shop, just cant figure out which way to go. I am not sure to build all motor or build motor ready for a supercharger. Prefer procharger setup. But I want to to have A/C as well. I see that procharger moves the alternator to the passengers side. So that doesnt leave room for the A/C. Unless I can leave the A/C compressor down low in the factory location. Does anyone know if anyone makes motor mounts capable of leaving the compressor in the factory truck location? Also what power steering pulley will clear the jeep steering box? I am going to install the Mast oil pan.

Please help. I would love to see pics.

Thanks
Old 12-21-2015, 06:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by redtacoma31
Hello all,

I have the motor ready for the machine shop, just cant figure out which way to go. I am not sure to build all motor or build motor ready for a supercharger. Prefer procharger setup. But I want to to have A/C as well. I see that procharger moves the alternator to the passengers side. So that doesnt leave room for the A/C. Unless I can leave the A/C compressor down low in the factory location. Does anyone know if anyone makes motor mounts capable of leaving the compressor in the factory truck location? Also what power steering pulley will clear the jeep steering box? I am going to install the Mast oil pan.

Please help. I would love to see pics.

Thanks
Are you planning on using the stock A/C evaporator case, or an aftermarket set-up? There are two new sets of 68-72 A-body engine swap brackets coming out from Hooker that will allow you to install a low-mount A/C compressor in the right side stock location, but they are not compatible with the Mast pan due to inner tie-rod interference that will result from its use.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UMI performance makes the mounts your looking for I just installed them in my 69 the passenger side frame mount has a cut out in it for a low mounted AC compressor. I went with the holley 302-2 pan and have no clearance issues with the tie rods.

Last edited by sonnyd9; 12-21-2015 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2015, 11:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

You are installing a 4L80 trans, so use caution when determining suitability of engine brackets for your car that someone else used to install a 4L60-4L70 or other transmission into their car...if you want to acheive optimized U-joint operating angles with your 4L80 without having to perform floor surgery, then you'll have to move the engine/trans mating plane forward 1.25" from the stock location. This is the exact position provided by the Hooker engine brackets and the matching Hooker trans crossmember, headers, cast iron exhaust manifolds and full exhaust systems will bolt right in with them. Taking the time to investigate your options thoroughly will give you better finished results and save you money in the long run.
Old 12-24-2015, 11:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks all. I really like the write up Toddoky did. I can honestly say I will be going the hooker route.

Quick Reply: LQ4/4L80E 68 Chevelle