Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Jeep Wrangler Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2023 | 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

mugwump5 hasn't been here in over 6 years, and it's been over 7 since he posted above.
Check post dates...
Old 07-28-2023 | 01:13 PM
Teching In

wrong answer
Old 07-28-2023 | 01:36 PM
TECH Senior Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PetZ
wrong answer
Compared to what??
Old 07-28-2023 | 09:36 PM
Teching In

Funny that I got an email notification after this many years about this! And my phone remembers how to log me in.

So, yea, ask away if you have questions. Assuming I can remember how I put it together!

It’s my 18 year old daughter’s daily driver now. It’s been going strong with few issues that aren’t just related to a 30 year old vehicle with a 20 year old power train.
The following 2 users liked this post by mugwump5:
clay68c10 (08-01-2023), G Atsma (07-29-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 09:14 PM
Teching In

Default V8 swap

That’s awesome it sent email.. Having lot of fun with project but some of this stuff is brain damage. So here is where I am;

94 Wrangler 2.5 - manual. Bought L98 from 88 corvette with wiring harness and 700r4. I removed bumper fenders everything stripped to frame firewall forward.

Rocky Road SOA conversion so with 35” tires should be 8-9” taller. Steering conversion to make it drive right with Advance Adapters cross member to mount engine. Lift is complete

Had motor rebuilt at shop and started putting together - removed smog pump and a/c - removed egr and associated parts. I have cooling figured out with aftermarket radiator and will add fans -
My plan for Intake is to connect brake booster, vacuum to canister, Fuel pump regulator and I found a vacuum ling that goes thru firewall. I don’t think I need purge valve since Jeep uses vacuum to open valve on top of canister.

I think I need MAF sensor relays but not sure? I think I can use existing fuel system including pump. I have ordered Painless wiring harness that should be here soon. Using Novak adapter to connect NP 231J transfer case to 700r4. I have installed SYE so that is done. order driveshafts when installed.

Like most, scared of wiring. I have the chassis harness isolated so that is easy - not sure what to do with all the rest. Wiring directions make it sound like you need the basic 4 wires for power and switching ground etc but that will play out when the harness arrives. Not sure what to do with the wire bundle that comes from inside thru firewall. I was thinking of using posi Lok cable actuator for front axle so I don’t have to mess with vacuum at axle and connectors back to transfer case.

I suppose I get PROM flashed to remove smog errors. /can I use factory gas pedal and cable? I have a cable attached to the car that looks like maybe transmission kick down. Million questions so I appreciate any input - it is ok to laugh at me - I can take it.

Originally Posted by mugwump5
Funny that I got an email notification after this many years about this! And my phone remembers how to log me in.

So, yea, ask away if you have questions. Assuming I can remember how I put it together!

It’s my 18 year old daughter’s daily driver now. It’s been going strong with few issues that aren’t just related to a 30 year old vehicle with a 20 year old power train.
Old 08-13-2023 | 09:47 PM
Teching In

Your stock fuel pump is more than adequate for that motor.
Yes, connect the intake to the brake booster. After a month, you'll be researching hydroboost conversions.
Don't be scared of the wiring if you're ordering an aftermarket harness. It should be labeled and plug-n-play (I hope!)
700R4 requries a TV cable; you should be able to use the stock Chevy one from the throttle body to the transmission. Make sure you adjust it correctly. If you're unsure, Google it.
I'm not sure about the stock Jeep throttle cable, but I suspect you'll figure it out.
Keep asking questions, there are lots of knowledgeable people here to help you.
As I tell my kids: I believe in you, have faith in you, and know you can do it!

The following users liked this post:
ttaylor121 (08-13-2023)
Old 08-13-2023 | 10:04 PM
Teching In

Appreciate the response - I think I need the MAF relays for this motor - I was planning on grabbing factory wiring harness and hoping they are attached. Is that something the new wiring harness will plug into? Do I keep my Jeep relay box?

I have FSM for both vehicles so that will help also.
Old 08-14-2023 | 08:00 PM
TECH Fanatic
15 Year Member

On my 98 Wrangler LS/4L60E swap I marked the stock starter wires, alt wires and hooked them up to the LS. I kept Wrangler ECM. The Wrangler has no clue what engine is in the Jeep. I just clipped all the engine wires (2.5) that I didn't use. Oh and I pulled the check engine light bulb in the dash. I used a Howell LS harness. But Painless has a good rep.
I used a Lokar throttle cable. Really good grounds are very important.
On my first Wrangler LS swap I used a Wrangler 4.0 radiator with a mechanical fan and shroud. Never over heated.
It's been 15 years on the swap and zero issues.
Just one more thing. Maybe a wide chain kit in the 231?
The following users liked this post:
G Atsma (08-14-2023)

Quick Reply: 5.3 Jeep Wrangler Conversion