Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

82 Jaguar XLS

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 04:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time no post. Well I was in Egypt for a month, and now I'm back!

Time to get back to it! My LS7 cam is installed with PAC springs and hardened pushrods. Also I picked up a mildly built th400 with a 3600 stall converter. My plan is to put the trans in the factory location, meaning the engine will be right back by the firewall.

Also, I installed a 228R cam in the 6.0 going into the 70 Chevelle, I'll try to get some pics of that as well.

Next on the list is to throw the tranny on and start mocking up engine and trans mounts.
Old 10-20-2016, 07:58 AM
Launching!

Another small update! before I had back surgery I got the Tranny mount made, and the engine is now in the car. Currently it's sitting on a block of wood on the K member, but as soon as the Doctor releases me, I will get back to making the engine mounts. This is going a lot slower than I thought it would, but with two other projects going on, I guess that's the way it goes! Until next time,

John
Old 03-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Launching!

It's been a year and 5 months since I have posted in here! Holy crap life will get in the way!

I have since moved, and this weekend I brought the Jag to my new place, so the build will continue now that I have it in my own garage!

As the car sits currently, the trans mount has been made, and the TH400 is in the stock location, so I will even be using the stock driveshaft. Next on the agenda is actually making the engine mounts. With the tranny in the stock location, there is a MILE of room in front of the engine, plenty for good things that go choo choo!

Pics and updates to come soon!

John
Old 03-13-2018, 12:28 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dueces
It's been a year and 5 months since I have posted in here! Holy crap life will get in the way!

I have since moved, and this weekend I brought the Jag to my new place, so the build will continue now that I have it in my own garage!

As the car sits currently, the trans mount has been made, and the TH400 is in the stock location, so I will even be using the stock driveshaft. Next on the agenda is actually making the engine mounts. With the tranny in the stock location, there is a MILE of room in front of the engine, plenty for good things that go choo choo!

Pics and updates to come soon!

John

they make motor mounts to put a SBC in a Jaguar XJS. You maybe could use those plus Gen IV to SBC conversion plates. I think I might have a set of those motor mounts laying around, I parted out an XJS that had a chevy 350. Its a long shot but might be a bolt in deal for the engine.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:11 PM
Launching!

IQC WHAT! Love the build man. Keep up the good work. I remember seeing your probe (I think) at a KOTS event. Any updates on it?
Old 03-14-2018, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JacobJ
they make motor mounts to put a SBC in a Jaguar XJS. You maybe could use those plus Gen IV to SBC conversion plates. I think I might have a set of those motor mounts laying around, I parted out an XJS that had a chevy 350. Its a long shot but might be a bolt in deal for the engine.
Thanks for the offer! But the issue with that is my engine is pushed back about 3" or more than a regular swap, as I kept the TH400 in the factory spot, which means the mounting locations will be farther forward on the engine.

Originally Posted by MrPotatoeHead
IQC WHAT! Love the build man. Keep up the good work. I remember seeing your probe (I think) at a KOTS event. Any updates on it?

I never went to KOTS, maybe you saw it at Union Grove? I sold the drivetrain to the Probe back in early 2014, sadly. I haven't had a fast car since! Minus an Evo, but it wasn't fast, lol.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:55 PM
Launching!

yeah probably was just the grove and not an event.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:07 AM
Launching!

Driving it up there was a blast, as I had finished the turbo install the day before. A group of GTO/G8 guys laughed and pointed at my car when I drove it in, so I bounced it off the rev limiter a couple times and their jaws dropped, ha ha.

I actually messed with the car last night for about a half hour. I repositioned the engine to center it up, and man is it tight! 1/4" of clearance on both sides of the bay with the stock manifolds reversed.

I also found a good spot to put the wiring through into the cabin. I only got a couple pictures before my phone died, but I will get more next time out there.

Old 03-15-2018, 08:00 PM
Launching!

So this is the panel I removed, just for reference. I will seal it up nice after all of the wiring is complete and in place.

I also started working on my sloppy motor mounts, which I hope I can get finished up this weekend. No pics yet, I'll get those when they are completed.

Old 03-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Launching!

Small update, made some motor mounts last night. The aren't pretty, and I'm pretty sure I will add a little more bracing, but for now, the engine is in place, so next on the agenda will be to work on accessories. I will use the factory PS mount, I'll just cut away the alternator section from it. From there I'll make a bracket for the alternator with low on the passenger side, or farther out to the side on the driver's side. I haven't decided yet because I don't know if I'm going to try to have AC yet or not... Still no pictures, I'm lagging.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:03 PM
Launching!

Turns out, if you use a grinding wheel and a hammer, you can successfully break the alternator bracket from the power steering pump bracket! I may even use the alt bracket on the passenger side, just to keep it nice and sloppy!

I took the wiring harness in the basement, and I'm going to start stripping that down today.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:07 PM
Launching!

And let the fun begin!!!

I have removed all the throttle by wire and transmission stuff, as well as the other crap not needed. After I get everything in place I'll get it all taped and wrapped up. There is going to be a lot of excess wiring.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:09 AM
Launching!

Just a small update. I have been working on the fuse/relay side of things for the past few days and I am pretty sure I'm ready to solder in all the connections to the fuse box. The weather has been absolutely crazy here in the past couple weeks. I will have more pictures in the near future. I plan to work on the car more this weekend, hopefully get the gas tank back in, mount the alternator, and get back to wiring everything up in the car.
Old 03-28-2018, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Have you picked a spot for the PCM? I was able to mount mine in the fender behind the right front wheel. There is a hole in the passenger kick panel where you can run the harness from the passenger footwell after it comes in through a hole in that panel you are using.
Old 03-29-2018, 03:42 PM
Launching!

I was planning to have it inside the cabin, basically right where I drilled through under the hole pictured above
Old 03-30-2018, 06:40 AM
TECH Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We have two of these at work right now with v12s and they have a myriad of problems. I've been trying to convince the customers to go down this route. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-01-2018, 07:43 PM
Launching!

Yeah in the end it would be a lot cheaper! Those parts are becoming more and more rare.

Enthusiasts get awfully mad about us lumps!
Old 03-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Launching!

Jesus, another year has gone by since any update, and basically that long has passed since I have done anything to it.

I have finished up my non-traditional exhaust setup, which will be a low front exit, and worked on some random other things, but I really haven't done much, until I ordered some parts last night.

I am jumping on the Terminator X bandwagon, and ordered that last night, as well as a throttle body and adapter, and some other misc. pieces I need. Hopefully I will have plenty of updates in the coming weeks with final assembly pictures and what not.

Quick Reply: 82 Jaguar XLS