Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steam Vent Location -> Cause low temp engine?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2016 | 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Steam Vent Location -> Cause low temp engine?

I have an LS1 in my '56. It's a 2004 engine I put in in 2005. The information I got at the time was to drill and tap a hole in the water pump on top and vent to there, which is what I did.

That engine alway runs cool...cooler than the thermostat. IN the winter, it will not run but luke warm at the heater.

I read something while investigation considerations for it on my LS3...they said something about putting it in the water pump on their car and it ran cold. Was an old post and I didn't do any responses to it. Not even sure it was this forum.

Any one have comments on that?

Relating to the LS3, I am considering using one of
these these
, and putting it close to the radiator at the top. Then convert the drain **** to a bib and run hose to it.

Thoughts?
Old 03-03-2016 | 11:33 PM
Staging Lane
10 Year Member

That part you linked is what I did since my griffin dual pass didn't have a bung and I didn't really feel like welding one in to a new radiator. Just used a 1/4" NPT to -4 AN fitting to adapt it for those purposes. Haven't run it yet but that's the way jagsthatrun does it as well for FD swaps, the concept is fairly solid.
Old 03-04-2016 | 11:17 AM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Roger,

I have routed the steam vent to the water pump in both my GTO and my Cougar and both have excellent heat. Have you verified that you have a good working thermostat?

Andrew
Old 03-04-2016 | 02:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
Roger,

I have routed the steam vent to the water pump in both my GTO and my Cougar and both have excellent heat. Have you verified that you have a good working thermostat?

Andrew
Yes, I have. Replaced it with another new one, same thing. I doubt I'd have 2 new ones not work correctly. It's really strange.
Old 03-04-2016 | 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MorePSI
That part you linked is what I did since my griffin dual pass didn't have a bung and I didn't really feel like welding one in to a new radiator. Just used a 1/4" NPT to -4 AN fitting to adapt it for those purposes. Haven't run it yet but that's the way jagsthatrun does it as well for FD swaps, the concept is fairly solid.
Did you us ANs to plumb back at the engine side, or just use the original steam line and clamps?

If AN, did you use stainless hose or nylon?
Old 03-04-2016 | 08:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ewingr
Yes, I have. Replaced it with another new one, same thing. I doubt I'd have 2 new ones not work correctly. It's really strange.
My Thunderbird runs 155 to 158 degrees according to the PCM in the winter on any street above about 35 MPH. But... it has a 160 range thermostat in it. That car used to heat up smartly and stay warm in the winter until I changed thermostats to a cooler temp unit. None of my other LSx powered vehicles are using a thermostat that cool and none stay that cool while rolling on the highway. Are you sure you're running a 180+ degree thermostat?

On my Thunderbird the steam line is routed to the upper radiator hose with an adapter I made similar to the one you pictured. That setup won't make the car run cooler or hotter.

Quick Reply: Steam Vent Location -> Cause low temp engine?