Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parts needed/Price on LS Swap 68 Firbird W/ Donor

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 02:16 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Parts needed/Price on LS Swap 68 Firbird W/ Donor

How's it going everyone. I may be able to pick up a 68 bird that needs some restoration work for a decent price in the near future. My 01 SS Camaro has been sitting now for a few years and if I do pick up the bird, I'd like to swap the LS & T56 from my SS into the bird. Just wondering what parts I can steal from the Camaro to donate to the bird and if anyone has a guess on what it'll cost me to complete the swap in terms of what else I will need to pick up.

I figure on the following being pulled from the SS:

LS1 motor
T56 Trans
Radiator(I hear this will work in the 68 with custom brackets?
Pedals
Calipers/Rotors/Hubs(I know it's not part of the swap but I've seen some swap brackets I plan to buy)
Tick Master?
PCM

I'm figuring I will need:
Swap mounts/Trans Xmember(BRP or something else?)
Dash
Swap Harness
EFI Gas Tank
Custom Driveshaft
3/8 Fuel Line kit
Swap Headers

What am I missing and what would you guess the cost could be for the swap given the things I can steal from my SS? Thanks
Old 03-04-2016, 05:32 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2kblackgtp
How's it going everyone. I may be able to pick up a 68 bird that needs some restoration work for a decent price in the near future. My 01 SS Camaro has been sitting now for a few years and if I do pick up the bird, I'd like to swap the LS & T56 from my SS into the bird. Just wondering what parts I can steal from the Camaro to donate to the bird and if anyone has a guess on what it'll cost me to complete the swap in terms of what else I will need to pick up (ryeguy2006a is his username).

I figure on the following being pulled from the SS:

LS1 motor
T56 Trans
Radiator(I hear this will work in the 68 with custom brackets?
Pedals
Calipers/Rotors/Hubs(I know it's not part of the swap but I've seen some swap brackets I plan to buy)
Tick Master?
PCM

I'm figuring I will need:
Swap mounts/Trans Xmember(BRP or something else?)
Dash
Swap Harness
EFI Gas Tank
Custom Driveshaft
3/8 Fuel Line kit
Swap Headers

What am I missing and what would you guess the cost could be for the swap given the things I can steal from my SS? Thanks

It really helps that you have an entire running car to do the swap from. There are many 1gen builds here so I would do some searching and read up. Couple things I can help with....you need to modify the stock fbody oil pan. Street and performance can do that for you. BRP mounts are pricey but very nice. My car has them. There are ways to solve the fuel issue other than an expensive aftermarket tank. I've read a lot of bad experiences from spectra tanks. What I did is put a factory fuel bucket from 98-02 LS1 fbody in a new modified 2nd gen tank. There is info out there on using the 5th gen pump in a tank. The 5th gen tank is real short and won't cause any height issues the 4th gen one does.
There is a guy here and over on Transamcountry named Ryan. He would be able to help you.
Good luck!
Old 03-04-2016, 05:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You should be able to use the wiring harness you have now and make a few mods. You could use the Firebird dash and go to a mechanical drive on the trans or move up to more contemporary gauges. Fortunately this is a tried and true swap, really should not be any real surprises.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:57 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

You can install your engine and transmission into your car without having to cut your tunnel open by using the Hooker 1st-gen LS swap engine brackets and T56 crossmember. You will also acheive optimized U-joint operating angles by going this route and have access to Hooker headers and exhaust systems that will bolt right on to your car. You would need to use a Holley 302-2 oil pan or a notched F-body pan.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:58 AM
Staging Lane

I just did this and went with the holley swap parts. Does the BRP allow you to use the fbody front accessories without notching the frame? The holley doesn't, but I notched my frame to keep low mount accessories. If the brp mounts don't, you need to relocate alternator and a/c compressor from the low mount positions or notch as well.

I think I read you need to use 2 left rear ebrake backing plates for the staggered shocks.
Radiator does works with custom brackets.
Wiring harness can be re-worked as others have stated.

If you stay factory clutch master, you will need a mounting bracket for it and a modified set of factory pedals. I don't think I've seen anyone use a set of 4th gen pedals in a 1st gen.

I ended up doing the dakota digital dash and the 5th gen pump module in the stock tank and re-used the factory fuel lineup into the engine bay.

If you are good at selling off parts you don't need, the swap can be very inexpensive. I sold my original motor and trans from the firebird to pay for my donor car, and selling off anything I didn't use from that car and my 68 factory removed parts has pretty much paid for my swap stuff.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:10 AM
Launching!

If your SS is in decent shape I don't know why you'd pull it apart for the drivetrain. Sell the car for 7-8k. You can get an erod ls3 from chevy with all wiring, pedal, etc for like 7500. You can also get a variety of ls1/t56 dropouts for 4-5k and spend the few k difference on the holley/hooker swap kit.

Quick Reply: Parts needed/Price on LS Swap 68 Firbird W/ Donor