Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First conversion, LS1 into '89 IROC

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First conversion, LS1 into '89 IROC

As said, this is my first swap. I have an '89 IROC-Z 5-speed with a 305 that went to hell a few months before I deployed to Afghanistan. Now that I've made some deployment money, an LS1 is well within reach.

I've been doing a lot of research on this website and yet to find these answers:
1) My Camaro has exhaust headers that went with the original engine, can I drop an LS1 on them just the same? Or would I *sigh* need to make modifications?
2) I want to keep it AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE, my only priority is making it fast! For now I just want to swap so any unnecessary luxury I can go without, like the A/C I won't be keeping. What else would make it easier to install by not keeping?
3) Instead of looking for a separate engine, T56, and wiring harness, I figured it'd be easier to just buy a 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird on Craigslist and use it as a donor. Any advantage from a specific year/model?

Finally, I'm sure hundreds of drivers have posted their work, and the problem isn't that I can't find any, it's that there's just so many I can't find a detailed one relating to this same/similar swap! If anyone can point me in the right direction to one of the more descriptive LB9/L98-to-LS1 swap, it'd be very much appreciated.

I'm currently still overseas but will follow up with the work as well as pictures upon my return stateside. Thanks again!
Old 03-20-2016, 05:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome to the site and a big THANK YOU for your service for our great country

You have come to the right place. Hopefully someone that's a bit more knowledgeable can point you in the right direction. That sounds like a great project. Good luck and I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Old 03-20-2016, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by angel2794
As said, this is my first swap. I have an '89 IROC-Z 5-speed with a 305 that went to hell a few months before I deployed to Afghanistan. Now that I've made some deployment money, an LS1 is well within reach.

I've been doing a lot of research on this website and yet to find these answers:
1) My Camaro has exhaust headers that went with the original engine, can I drop an LS1 on them just the same? Or would I *sigh* need to make modifications?
2) I want to keep it AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE, my only priority is making it fast! For now I just want to swap so any unnecessary luxury I can go without, like the A/C I won't be keeping. What else would make it easier to install by not keeping?
3) Instead of looking for a separate engine, T56, and wiring harness, I figured it'd be easier to just buy a 1998-2002 Camaro/Firebird on Craigslist and use it as a donor. Any advantage from a specific year/model?

Finally, I'm sure hundreds of drivers have posted their work, and the problem isn't that I can't find any, it's that there's just so many I can't find a detailed one relating to this same/similar swap! If anyone can point me in the right direction to one of the more descriptive LB9/L98-to-LS1 swap, it'd be very much appreciated.

I'm currently still overseas but will follow up with the work as well as pictures upon my return stateside. Thanks again!
Thanks for your service.
1. You need to buy a dedicated set of LS swap headers. Lots of companies make them now. I have Stainless Works on mine. Hooker makes a really nice set now too that I would like to try. Check out Hawks third gen for lots of swap parts or hooker for their swap stuff. Hooker make an entire kit for the oil pan, headers, and crossmember.

2. Not many things to cut out and the swap is pretty straightforward and simple.

3. I would try to find a 01-02 f body because you get the 0411 computer and ls6 intake manifold, plus a few other minor things. I bought a whole car from copart simply because there were no cheap cars in my area.

Check out thirdgen.org there are lots of LS swaps and wiring diagrams to do what you are trying to do. You will basically be putting your c100 plug together with the modified LS harness. Let me know if you have any questions and I have a link to my swap in my signature if it helps.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out my swap bud thread in the link in my sig. It's an LQ4, but I used an 0411 pcm, so the wiring is all the same as an body LS1. Leave off the AC and cruise if you want it super simple.

Quick Reply: First conversion, LS1 into '89 IROC