Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS Identification Saga Continues

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2016, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS Identification Saga Continues

Whats up folks? I am a total newb to the LS world so forgive my ignorance. I do know how to search and have been for a few days now. I keep getting conflicting results on my research. I am trying to identify what F'ing motor I have after spending a bunch of money on a cam and other things only to realize things are not matching up.

I was sold what I thought was an LY6 out of a 2007 Chevy 3500 Express Van to swap into my Jeep rock crawler project. The VIN from the van was 1GAHG35U171179903 if that helps. Not sure if that can tell us anything or not.

The motor has the following casting numbers

Heads - 317
Block - 12577184

This document on Summit says that my block is either an LQ4 or LQ9.

https://summitracing.custhelp.com/ci...ng+Numbers.pdf

This article shows that the 317 heads are also LQ4 so that's what I'm assuming I have.

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/...gm-v8-engines/

I bought a Tick Performance Elite series cam which included a VVT delete kit. Today was the day that the cam was going to go into the motor. When the guys looked at it, it didn't appear to have VVT as it has nothing on the timing cover as a VVT setup would have with the connectors.

So my question is since the LY6 and LQ4 do share a lot of the same specs such as bore and stroke, etc. Will I still be able to use my cam that I bought which was originally spec'd for a LY6 in my LQ4, if in fact I do have an LQ4?

A buddy in the shop where my Jeep is also has an LQ4 it looks exactly like mine with the same casting numbers but just different coil packs compared to mine.

Mine also came with what looks like a Gen III PCM (larger unit) vs the new smaller unit with the two black plugs like the E38 ECM has on the newer motors.

Any help would be appreciated!

Here are some pics of what I have.

LS Identification Saga Continues-icta15k.jpg

LS Identification Saga Continues-uswwwv0.jpg

LS Identification Saga Continues-7q0023i.jpg

LS Identification Saga Continues-gvdz6df.jpg

Name:  Zmp6F39.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  104.5 KB

Name:  Ch5m1OH.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  88.7 KB

Name:  CSChQKQ.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  95.7 KB
Old 04-09-2016, 01:02 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found this...

https://service.gm.com/dealerworld/v.../vincard07.pdf

and based on my VIN it looks to be an LQ4 not an LY6.

So I guess my question is, will my cam work in it?

The cam specs are:
Tick Performance Elite Series Camshaft Package for LS3 & L99 Engines
(Camshaft: Custom Grind by Martin, Valvespring Type: Tick/PAC #TP660DVSK (for stock rocker arms), Include Pushrod Length Checker: No, Pushrod Length: 7.400" Pushrod Set, Timing Chain Upgrade: #12646386 GM Chain, Oil Pump Upgrade: #32586665 Ported & Blueprinted, Include AFM Delete Kit: No, Include VVT Delete Kit: Yes, Replacement Gaskets: GM Camswap Gasket & Bolt Kit

Custom 222/234 .610/.595 113lsa cam, Dual .660" spring kit, hardened chromoly push rods
VVT Delete
Head bolts
Head gaskets
Morel 5315 lifters
LS2 timing chain
Ported oil pump
Bolt/gasket kit needed to swap cam

Quick Reply: LS Identification Saga Continues