Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

chevelle swap headers

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 08:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default chevelle swap headers

any recommendations on headers for my 1970? im running the holley pan with dirty dingo sliders. I know there is a few companys that make them . im currently looking at a set of stainless made by speed and engineering
Old 04-19-2016, 09:09 PM
Banned

Received 203 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by 70ssclone
any recommendations on headers for my 1970? im running the holley pan with dirty dingo sliders. I know there is a few companys that make them . im currently looking at a set of stainless made by speed and engineering
What transmission are you using?
Old 04-19-2016, 09:23 PM
Launching!

Running a th400
Old 04-19-2016, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

98-02 f-body headers fit only have to ding the number 2 primary to give header to frame clearance I ran pacesetters on my el camino with a ctsv pan and dirty dingo engine mounts made for a really straight forward install.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:47 PM
Banned

I would suggest you search for installed photos of any headers you are considering to gauge ground, spark plug and component clearances. Some headers also require you to relocate the brake proportioning valve that's attached to the frame rail, so you'll need to decide if you want to go through that hassle.
The following users liked this post:
Bacon910 (05-29-2021)
Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 PM
Launching!

Yea I was looking at my prop valve wondering if I was gonna have to move it or not ..
Old 04-19-2016, 10:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 70ssclone
Yea I was looking at my prop valve wondering if I was gonna have to move it or not ..
The Hooker A-body swap headers do not require the valve to be relocated and possess excellent ground, spark plug and component clearances. They don't fit into everyone's budget and I don't know if they would work with your DD sliders.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Staging Lane

Default Hooker Blackheart SS

Hooker released SS blackheart headers for 68-72 A bodies the beginning of this year. These are installed in a 69 Pontiac Custom S Vert. They are engineered to fit when using the Hooker frame mounts. Not sure about the fit using the dingo slinders.

Old 04-20-2016, 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

The install was about as easy as you can get. It was a relief not to have to fight and hammer on brand new headers for install and clearance.
Old 05-03-2016, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

I just ordered the a body speed engineering headers for my 68 cutlass. I went with the long tubes with the 1 7/8" primaries. I will let you know how they fit.

Im using the holley pan and the motor is moved 1" forward.
Old 05-03-2016, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jchevy
I just ordered the a body speed engineering headers for my 68 cutlass. I went with the long tubes with the 1 7/8" primaries. I will let you know how they fit.

Im using the holley pan and the motor is moved 1" forward.
Out of curiosity, doesn't Speed Enginnering have installed photos of the ground clearance of the headers and detailed application information that describes their fitment with specific mounts, transmissions and vehicle components like the brake proportioning valve?
Old 05-03-2016, 08:27 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Toddoky
Out of curiosity, doesn't Speed Enginnering have installed photos of the ground clearance of the headers and detailed application information that describes their fitment with specific mounts, transmissions and vehicle components like the brake proportioning valve?
Ive done quite a bit of searching and havent seen anything like that...it would really be nice if they had something like that.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jchevy
Ive done quite a bit of searching and havent seen anything like that...it would really be nice if they had something like that.
So I guess no specific level of fitment or compatibility is implied and customers are just left with having to "rolling the dice" to figure out fitment and determine if their ground clearance is desireable? It's an interesting way to sell headers and/or other swap parts.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:04 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I used a set of Doug's long tube coated headers in my 69 with LS1/4L60E. I did have to move the proportioning valve up to the top of the frame instead of inside. ground clearance is good. the collectors dump right at the level of the trans cross member so we had to modify it to keep the pipes up tight. A little tight against starter. Probably have to heat shield it. They clear everything else, but getting some of the spark plugs out might be a challenge. That is a problem for another day though.
Old 05-09-2016, 04:19 PM
Staging Lane

Copied from another thread:

I am in the process of installing these in my 68 cutlass. I am using the lsx inovations motor mounts that move my lq4/4l80e forward one inch...

I had to notch the cross member under the motor slightly on both sides to clear...not much no big deal in my situation. I also had to cut part of the bellhousing inspection cover around the starter to clear...again no big deal.

The only complaint i really have is that there was an interference with a boss on the block just below the driverside head right at the back of the motor. I just took a grider to it and clearanced the corner of it.

There appears to be plenty of room for the brake proportioning valve on the driverside frame rail. Ground clearance looks good, its just a little bit lower than the motor cosmember. Steering shaft does not seem to be an issue.

For $300 shipped they appear at this point to be worth it to me....i dont have the body on yet but i dont for see any issues.

If the motor was not moved forward i think the cross member would have been fine...i also dont think the 4l60 will have the inteference issue
Old 05-10-2016, 02:13 PM
11 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by 04Z06vette
I used a set of Doug's long tube coated headers in my 69 with LS1/4L60E. I did have to move the proportioning valve up to the top of the frame instead of inside. ground clearance is good. the collectors dump right at the level of the trans cross member so we had to modify it to keep the pipes up tight. A little tight against starter. Probably have to heat shield it. They clear everything else, but getting some of the spark plugs out might be a challenge. That is a problem for another day though.
I have the same headers. Very disappointed for the price.

In addition to the issues you noted my steering shaft would contact a primary on the driver side until I dimpled it.

I beat the **** out of the tube near the starter so I could take the starter off without removing the headers.

Getting the plugs in and out of a few cyl requires a special cut off plug socket I made.

I would not recommend the Doug's headers to anyone. I had to do more to make them fit than friends who have used fbody headers which are $250 and stainless instead of these coated $600+ headers. The coating doesn't hold up very well under the car either.

Quick Reply: chevelle swap headers