Sponsored by:

4.8 LY2 Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 04:13 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4.8 LY2 Build Thread

Good Afternoon All,

I am starting this thread so I can keep track of my build on a 4.8 LY2 shortblock that i purchased off of Ebay. I purchased off of Ebay because it was easier than finding something closer to where I am located. I'm not saying that there wasn't anything here locally, because there was, but I like the idea of building from the ground up. As i said I purchased the shortblock off of Ebay and had it shipped here. I was kind of leary about it, but I took a chance. I was pleasantly surprised!! The shortblock looks like it was lightly used. Nice crosshatch on the cylinder walls. It came with the crank, mains, rear engine cover plate, cam, lifters, lifter trays, and timing chain. All look to be in great shape. Ok, on to the build. I am just getting started, and I welcome any and all advice for this build. So, i guess to start, I wanted a car to work on. My wife said "No". I understand where she is coming from, we have 3 boys varying in age (14, 11, and 3) and a baby girl due next month. We both have full time jobs, and we live in a townhouse with a 1 car garage. I am in the military and we move roughly every 3 years. Its easier to move 2 cars and the family than 3 cars and a family. I see the logic in her flat out saying "No" you cant get a car right now. (Side Note: she did say I could get one when a retire in a few years) She didn't say that I couldn't buy and engine for my retirement car project. So that's what i did. I have read tons of build threads, car magazine's, etc. on the LS platform. I knew that's what I wanted to get. I am not looking to build a race engine or anything crazy like that. I just want to build a descent engine that makes descent horsepower and torque. This will be a learning process as well. I do plan on changing the cam to something a little less lame than the factory cam. I've read that even mild aftermarket cam upgrades help these little engines. I know also that by buying a shortblock that I could potentially nickel and dime my self to death on this engine, but I don't really care. I am going to budget myself and do it right and take my time. I guess enough of me rambling. Here are some pictures.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Whats your goal , whats your budget what car or truck this going into ?
Old 10-04-2016, 07:03 AM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

I like to refer to the LY2 as 'The One'.
Its the strongest stock LS short block. It also comes with the best cathedral heads, but it doesn't look like you have those.

Your best bet with an LY2 is Forced Induction. That short block is strong enough it could handle anything you can throw at it. I'm talking obscene amounts of power.
Old 10-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

omc8 - Honestly right now I don't really have a goal. This build gives me something to do in my spare time. I apologize that I haven't replied sooner. Work has been kinda crazy with the start of the new fiscal year. I don't necessarily have a budget either. I have plenty of time, so I can save and buy the parts that I want without really impacting a budget. Basically I have a solid foundation to start with. I don't have a car yet for this to go into. What I am leaning towards is to collect parts until I retire from the Navy and then buy a car once I'm settled and throw everything together all at once.
Old 10-08-2016, 02:20 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

This is what happened to my 2011 4.8 liter. Small 220 cam, .510 lift, carbureted, 6 speed. Stupid fun truck. 312 RWHP, 308 TQ.

Quick Reply: 4.8 LY2 Build Thread