Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 swap possible MAF or O2 sensor issue?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2016, 07:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by firstgenon24s
This is still with the O2 sensors disconnected. So I am still at a loss, it doesn't APPEAR to be TPS or MAF related right now right?
I don't know. I think you need a different tool and/or local help with a different scan tool to get to the bottom of things.

The way one would typically solve these problems (when you don't get discrete OBDII fault codes) is to look at graphs of these sensor responses over time. Looking at this freeze frame data won't tell you much.

For example, in the graph below, you can see air flow (through the MAF) is responding exactly with the TPS position. You can't tell that by looking at just a single point in time.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
I don't know. I think you need a different tool and/or local help with a different scan tool to get to the bottom of things.

The way one would typically solve these problems (when you don't get discrete OBDII fault codes) is to look at graphs of these sensor responses over time. Looking at this freeze frame data won't tell you much.

For example, in the graph below, you can see air flow (through the MAF) is responding exactly with the TPS position. You can't tell that by looking at just a single point in time.

I want to thank you tremendously for all of your knowledge and help buddy. After further investigation we determined the bank 1 and 2 were swapped on the harness which caused every issue I was having. Swapped the banks around and now the truck pulls hard and fuel trims look promising even with exhaust leaks. I owe you a beer man!
The following 2 users liked this post by firstgenon24s:
Dcon (06-17-2021), Dredfred (11-14-2022)
Old 10-30-2016, 07:03 PM
Save the manuals!

Originally Posted by firstgenon24s
I want to thank you tremendously for all of your knowledge and help buddy. After further investigation we determined the bank 1 and 2 were swapped on the harness which caused every issue I was having. Swapped the banks around and now the truck pulls hard and fuel trims look promising even with exhaust leaks. I owe you a beer man!
I'm glad to hear. Congratulations!

So, just the left and right side banks were switched, or were the pre-cat and post-cat sensors switched?
Old 10-30-2016, 08:13 PM
Staging Lane

I'm glad to hear. Congratulations!

So, just the left and right side banks were switched, or were the pre-cat and post-cat sensors switched?
just the left and right side.
Old 10-30-2016, 10:00 PM
Save the manuals!

Interesting. I wonder if that caused the O2 graphs to flatline on you? Did you check the O2 sensor graphs (over time) on your scan tool after you switched them?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Interesting. I wonder if that caused the O2 graphs to flatline on you? Did you check the O2 sensor graphs (over time) on your scan tool after you switched them?
The o2 sensors look much better now, I do know there is about a 1 second delay even in real time so I'm sure that still makes the graph look funny but both stay around the same voltage readings.

Quick Reply: 5.3 swap possible MAF or O2 sensor issue?