Sponsored by:

2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default 2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino

Hello out there.

I have installed a 2002 LS-1 & 6 speed in my 72 El Camino. I am getting ready to have hoses made and have a couple questions regarding using the factory AC stuff in/on the firewall.
I have a new sanden style compressor from Dirty Dingo (came with bracket kit), and will be buying new condenser and all other parts as needed.

My question is will my stuff work well with the factory AC stuff in the HVAC box (whatever you call it) that it came with from the factory? I have read somewhere that you need/want to swap out the unit inside the box to something new like a gen 4 Camaro unit that will fit inside the box.
I am hoping this is not needed. I am trying to finally figure out and make an ac unit that will blow really cold air. I have had a string of hot rods over the last 20 years with one aftermarket kit or the other and they were OK, but not a lot better than that.
I am thinking that with the El Camino's smaller cabin space (than a 67 Chevelle, etc.) it should be able to spit ice cubes done properly. I already have the car painted and running, but will do whatever it takes to achieve my goal.
Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails 2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino-028.jpg   2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino-20160221_130409.jpg   2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino-20160227_195735.jpg   2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino-20160221_130414.jpg   2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino-20160303_174749.jpg  

2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino-20160812_062544.jpg  
Old 10-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know if it helps you or not but I swapped an 02 ls1 into my 90 camaro. I lined up the host car's ac lines with the donor's ac lines and cut them with a tubing cutter and had them Tig welded together. I put in a new dryer and blue orifice tube, vacuumed it down and filled with r134a. Mine blows plenty cold, I get frost on the dryer in 90+ degree weather.
Old 10-04-2016, 09:17 AM
Teching In

Default Ice Cold Air

Originally Posted by Spaceboy1980
I don't know if it helps you or not but I swapped an 02 ls1 into my 90 camaro. I lined up the host car's ac lines with the donor's ac lines and cut them with a tubing cutter and had them Tig welded together. I put in a new dryer and blue orifice tube, vacuumed it down and filled with r134a. Mine blows plenty cold, I get frost on the dryer in 90+ degree weather.
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you taking the time.

My concern is in the old evaporator coil inside the HVAC box being compatible with the newer system (new sanden style compressor, new condenser, etc.).
I am really wanting a new car ac system this time around and not something so so. I live in the Phoenix Arizona valley and 118* summer cruising is not out of the question. Actually not out of the norm either. Just part of the package of having awesome winters.
I am hoping some AC experts will chime in and assist me on my quest.
Old 10-15-2016, 12:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cooperhw
Thanks for the reply. I appreciate you taking the time.

My concern is in the old evaporator coil inside the HVAC box being compatible with the newer system (new sanden style compressor, new condenser, etc.).
I am really wanting a new car ac system this time around and not something so so. I live in the Phoenix Arizona valley and 118* summer cruising is not out of the question. Actually not out of the norm either. Just part of the package of having awesome winters.
I am hoping some AC experts will chime in and assist me on my quest.

The evaporator is fine as long as it is in good condition, no change needed there. There are only two parts that need to be changed and one that is HIGHLY recommended. The first is you will need a new dryer, the second you will need to take off your POA valve and take it in to an AC shop to have it adjusted to handle R134-a as it runs at a higher pressure than R12 did and lastly it is highly recommended that you get a new Parallel flow style condenser. Classic Auto Air in FL can help you out with everything you need.
Old 10-17-2016, 10:26 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by TheKmann
The evaporator is fine as long as it is in good condition, no change needed there. There are only two parts that need to be changed and one that is HIGHLY recommended. The first is you will need a new dryer, the second you will need to take off your POA valve and take it in to an AC shop to have it adjusted to handle R134-a as it runs at a higher pressure than R12 did and lastly it is highly recommended that you get a new Parallel flow style condenser. Classic Auto Air in FL can help you out with everything you need.
Thanks for the info Kmann. This is exactly what I had in mind. Already purchased a new parallel flow condenser and dryer. Will take the POA valve in when I have new hoses made.
I appreciate your help.
Wayne

Quick Reply: 2002 LS-1 in a 72 El Camino