Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

Bile duct blocked - procedure to clear it just finished and if liver function clears up, gall bladder out in the morning (Sat) at 10. A St Patty’s Day surgery. Edit - headed to surgery now!

Last edited by Michael Yount; 03-17-2018 at 08:11 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 11:40 AM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Aaaarrggghh... That's a lousy deal. I also appreciate your posting your experience with this, since I'm wondering if it might be useful for my swap.
Here's hoping for a speedy & complete recovery!
Old 03-17-2018, 11:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,159 Likes on 2,466 Posts

Hang in there Michael! Here's to the surgeon doing a neat AND complete job!
Old 03-17-2018, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Out! 4 small incisions - lapro. Took my first walk - toughin it out on no pain meds. Side effects worse than pain. Jello never tasted so good after 51 hours of nothing by mouth.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Out! 4 small incisions - lapro. Took my first walk - toughin it out on no pain meds. Side effects worse than pain. Jello never tasted so good after 51 hours of nothing by mouth.
Good to hear that they could do a lapro procedure, I've had both types done, & it's a night & day difference. Thanks for providing the update, sounds like you'll be back out in the garage in no time!
Old 03-18-2018, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Laparo was actually a robot -- Docs sat behind a console 20 feet away looking at a screen. High Tech!

Got this little bit done while the gall bladder was killing me Thursday afternoon. Box will sit down in the 'chassis' rail at driver's front right beside the radiator/behind front fascia. And you can see the firewall grommet (turned 'sideways' - follow the loose wires back to the firewall) -- the cable and a few wires will come through that. The frayed fabric cable cover will be shorted appropriately once I have the grommet in place.

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?-bg7uwdn.jpg

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?-aqtjxss.jpg
Old 03-18-2018, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gotta love lapro! I had gastric bypass 10 yrs ago. 5 "puncture wounds"...
Old 03-26-2018, 03:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Healed enough to at least lean in under the hood for a bit. I tell you, no pain relievers, if you can do it, is the way to go. MUCH quicker over all recovery. Was on the bike in the gym on Tues after being discharged on Sunday - with Doc's blessing. Just no heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks -- don't want no hernia.

Got the back up light wires, oil temp sensor and GPS wires routed through the grommet with the speedo cable.

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?-r14mnww.jpg

Cut the fabric cover on the cable to length, re-loomed the wires that go down the firewall (reverse light, oil temp) and got them headed down below and got the cable/GPS wire routed to the box. The frayed fabric cover isn't really noticeable when you're standing, looking under the hood. I had to get the camera 'down in there' to get the pic below.

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?-nscg1ta.jpg

Covered the metal spring/loom that's on the last 18" of the cable with some black plastic wiring loom for cosmetics - and routed the GPS wire inside the loom - you can see both connected to the box.

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?-ic2ftex.jpg

Still have to connect the switched 12V+, the ground and bundle up the excess GPS cable under the dash. With that -- I can roll the car out of the garage and let it try to satellite connect for the first time. That will allow me to complete the calibration process.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:09 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, just about got 'er button'd back up today. Fabbed a little plate to cover the hole in the tranny where the speedo cable used to go. Flat plate bolted on with some high temp/high oil resistance RTV to seal. No ATF is in there when the car is sitting still/level - but some gets in there when shafts are spinning. Temporary fix as without the speedo cable, I now have room to put a VSS in there and use that to send a more reliable speed signal to my ECU than I'm getting with my homemade reluctor on the pinion flange.

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?-rq7v36y.jpg

The dark gray fabric cover I'm pointing at is the speedo cable - routed from firewall under the booster and down to the box. You can see the box in the second picture at the base of/to the right of the radiator.

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?-kl41pux.jpg

What company has the GPS speedo conversion?-qnfoxlu.jpg

Everything is powered up/loomed, backup lights and oil temp sensor hooked back up, etc. Gently (still lifting limited post surgery) got the wheels/tires back on - I set the car height so that the tires weren't more about 1/8" from being able to roll them into place and push them onto the studs. In the morning I hope to take it off the stands and go for a ride/calibrate the unit.
Old 03-31-2018, 05:55 PM
TECH Junkie

And - unit works! Calibrated so it’s dead nuts on at 70....and you learn in a hurry just how non-linear the old analog speedos were/are. Spoiled by the accuracy of contemporary electronic speedos. Quiet - two thumbs up.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

That looks awesome! I was looking at this unit last year, but had a few questions nobody could/would answer.

Have you tried it in a city setting yet? When I drive through downtown wherever with tall buildings, my GPS stops working due to loss of signal. Nobody would tell me if it happens with this unit.
Old 04-01-2018, 09:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by joyridin'

Have you tried it in a city setting yet? When I drive through downtown wherever with tall buildings, my GPS stops working due to loss of signal. Nobody would tell me if it happens with this unit.
ANYTHING using a satellite signal will lose the signal from time to time - tunnels, metal structures (buildings, bridges, parking garages, etc) even heavy tree coverage can interfere with a signal. This interferes with satellite radio, GPS units, etc. I put 30 miles on it in suburban Charlotte. Had a perfect signal the whole time. As for interference - it can happen. But if I’m in a parking garage - I don’t need a speedo. If I’m in a large downtown area with lots of wall-to-wall skyscrapers - I don’t need a speedo - I’m just gonna roll with traffic. This unit has an algorithm for maintaing an output when you’ve been cruising and enter a tunnel. Haven’t experienced that yet.
Old 05-08-2018, 06:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Month and a half in --- unit was worked flawlessly. Daddy's happy.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the updates!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:41 PM
TECH Junkie

While the GPS speedo is working great -- the other operation had a complication. Late April started running a fever -- turned out to be E Coli blood infection - sepsis - related to the first endoscopic procedure in March. 6 days in Hospital at the end of April - and a month's worth of antibiotics through a PICC line in my right arm. Wife has become a pro at injecting them. They aspirated an abscess in my liver -- hoping that my most recent CT scan shows the abscess resolved -- and then I'll be off the antibiotics with a clean bill. Ironically - have felt completely normal except for the little bit of time I had a fever. Go figure....

Operation of GPS - flawless!

Operation to remove gall stone from bile duct - not so flawless!
Old 05-16-2018, 05:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Stay healthy man!
Old 05-16-2018, 06:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Well, I'm doin' my part.

What are you gonna do? Can't say no to the procedure when the bile duct is blocked. And I get to be the 1 in every 100-200 where some E Coli from my gut hitches a ride on the endoscope and manages to find its way up the bile duct and into the liver, sets up shop with a little infection/abscess and a month later begins to kick out a bit of E Coli into the bloodstream. Lucky me!
Old 05-16-2018, 08:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, I'm doin' my part.

What are you gonna do? Can't say no to the procedure when the bile duct is blocked. And I get to be the 1 in every 100-200 where some E Coli from my gut hitches a ride on the endoscope and manages to find its way up the bile duct and into the liver, sets up shop with a little infection/abscess and a month later begins to kick out a bit of E Coli into the bloodstream. Lucky me!
Right. Some guys get ALL the breaks. Listen to your MD, and I'm praying all goes well for you!
Old 05-17-2018, 05:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by G Atsma
Listen to your MD...
LOL - when in the hospital, there were 8-10 to listen to. I'm down to 3 now that I'm out-patient.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

LOL - when in the hospital, there were 8-10 to listen to. I'm down to 3 now that I'm out-patient.
LOL Sounds good man! Just stay vertical and above room temp!

Quick Reply: What company has the GPS speedo conversion?