Sponsored by:

Question about exhaust...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2016, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about exhaust...

Quick question.
I have an 03 chevy stepside. Currently going through a 5.3 V8 swap from a 4.3 V6.
Right now it's bone stock. I did buy ceramic coated long tube headers to a 3" collector. I also have a 3" magniflow X-pipe. My plan is basically true duals all the way back to 2 single in single out magniflow mufflers. In the rear, like a camaro or car would be.

The question : with out any engine mods is 3" all the way back Overkill? Or should I do a taper after the X-pipe?

Any feedback helps. -Thanks
Old 12-09-2016, 06:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

It's not like you NEED dual 3" out the back but it's not overkill because it will open doors down the road if you start doing more mods and I think it will sound better.
Old 12-10-2016, 01:30 AM
Teching In

Yes I do plan on putting heads intake and mild cam in the future but I'm on a budget and those items won't come quick. I really don't want to have to do my exhaust twice and I'd like to do it right the first time. But at the same time I don't want an annoying exhaust in the mean time.
In my head it's gonna sound great. But that's not always the case.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:05 AM
Teching In

You would see an advantage using 3" with Big HP and need it with 500+ HP, but make no mistake it will be louder. A good 2-1/4 Dual Exhaust is good for 350+ hp, a good 2-1/2 will take you to 450+ hp (give or take).
After that is where you will see advantages and want a 3" System

As said probably no big disadvantage going to 3" with stock SB HP except for very low RPM loss, it will be louder, heavier, and in some cases harder to fit. Your Choice

Quick Reply: Question about exhaust...