Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

55 Chevy, 6.0, Turbo, Holley

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 06:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Haven't posted an update in a while. Car ran good for a while but I really didn't push it real hard. Drove the 800 mile round trip to Biloxi for cruisin' the coast in October 19. Then on a cold December evening I stretched her legs a little bit and smoked third gear in my 4L80E. She was pulling hard in the cold air.

Went through the trans again and overall it wasn't terrible besides the direct. I think I got scared of the pressure from my pump failure and went a little too soft so I upped it a bit. Keeping it around 190 under full power when I got it going again in late January.

Things were all well and good up until about a week ago and I made a full 1/4 mile pass. The next time I drove it I noticed the oil pressure at hot idle was about 5 lbs lower than it normally was so I changed the oil and cut open the filter. Filter was full of golden sparkles so a buddy helped me pull the motor. Same #4 main is toast. I'm beginning to suspect the machine work on the line bore on this failure. The shop I used seems to have gone down hill and there have been others who've had troubles with line bores. Oil pressure was solid during the pull, I went back and looked at the log.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Ive had my own 4l80 woes here recently (im on my 3rd)
sorry to hear about the motor.
Old 02-27-2020, 08:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by slocaddy
Ive had my own 4l80 woes here recently (im on my 3rd)
sorry to hear about the motor.
I've gotten pretty quick at getting the transmission out and going through it....so there's that
The following users liked this post:
dns87ss (03-04-2020)
Old 02-27-2020, 11:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by squarles67
I've gotten pretty quick at getting the transmission out and going through it....so there's that
Lol. I feel your pain. Back in the day when I was racing Dodge FWD cars, I could pull out and replace a FWD trans in less than 2 hours without a lift.

Quick Reply: 55 Chevy, 6.0, Turbo, Holley