Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

280z ls3

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2016, 01:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 280z ls3

What front accessories can I run? Swapping in an ls3 in a 280z. Gonna run ac but no power steering.
Old 12-21-2016, 04:33 PM
On The Tree

Many options

http://www.dirtydingo.com/shop/index.php?cPath=373
Old 12-21-2016, 04:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 467 Likes on 351 Posts

Given how long the six was that came out, you should have plenty of fore/aft room for the accessories. Check out Alan Groves low mount a/c compressor and ICT Billet low mount alternator - both are made for the Corvette lower pulley spacing. The a/c unit runs on it's own smaller belt on the inner grooves on the pulley on the LS3. You'll need some sort of idler pulley up top where the PS would have gone to route the serp back over to the water pump/tensioner.
Old 12-22-2016, 08:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Yount
Given how long the six was that came out, you should have plenty of fore/aft room for the accessories. Check out Alan Groves low mount a/c compressor and ICT Billet low mount alternator - both are made for the Corvette lower pulley spacing. The a/c unit runs on it's own smaller belt on the inner grooves on the pulley on the LS3. You'll need some sort of idler pulley up top where the PS would have gone to route the serp back over to the water pump/tensioner.
Corvette stuff doesn't work well in a Zed. A standard vette unit will place the alternator in the strut tower and the wrong AC unit will go back too far and interfere with the motor mount. Maybe the unit you suggest works, IDK, but from what I have seen you need the right compressor to get away with mounting AC low on the passenger's side.

What fits is going to depend on how you mount the motor and the swap vehicle you got the accessories out of. Sometimes little things, like an F body alt fitting fine but a GTO alternator having a power lug that hits the strut tower.

Fortunately zed swaps are plentiful. Find a write up of a swap you like and copy it.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Only mentioned Corvette pulley spacing - not Corvette "stuff". His LS3 comes with a Corvette pulley - assumed he'd start with that. The conflict with a Sanden 508 low mount is if you try to use it in a CORVETTE because of the forward orientation of the Corvette motor mounts. Most conversions that aren't in Corvettes that can fit a low mount can clear the motor mount - plenty of clearance in mine. The reason I suggested the low mounts is because they usually clear in a MacPherson strut application such as the OP has. Of course - he'll have to do some checking based on his application - but with struts and rack/pinion, low mounted accessories seem to work more often than not.
Old 12-22-2016, 10:22 AM
TECH Junkie

To the OP - As Pop n' Wood suggested, others have done this. Check out the Hybrid Z site. That'll give you a starting point. Eventually though you'll have to mock up and see what works. I was pretty sure I knew what would work based on other swaps similar to mine, but ended up with all 3 accessories in different locations than I originally thought. I'd get the long block in the car and THEN decide which accessory package will work.
Old 01-01-2017, 10:53 PM
Launching!

Are you saying you think running the f body style accessories with the low passenger mount compressor will work?
Old 01-02-2017, 06:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by SPOOLIN Z28
Are you saying you think running the f body style accessories with the low passenger mount compressor will work?
"The reason I suggested the low mounts is because they usually clear in a MacPherson strut application such as the OP has."

"You'll need some sort of idler pulley up top where the PS would have gone to route the serp back over to the water pump/tensioner."

"Eventually though you'll have to mock up and see what works."

"...others have done this. Check out the Hybrid Z site."

http://forums.hybridz.org/forum/74-g...8z-tech-board/

Quick Reply: 280z ls3