Andrew Who made the driveshaft for you?
The DriveShaft Shop.

http://www.driveshaftshop.com

Andrew
Old 12-28-2016, 09:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Project GatTagO
The CVs used in my driveshaft are not the old double cordon style CVs, but modern Rzeppa style CVs...think Porsche drive axle CVs.

Andrew
Cardan joints are U-joints, not CV joints. The double-Cardan is just a fancy term for the every-day standard driveshaft with 2 U-joints that are oriented 90* from each other to cancel out the non-constant driveline velocity that U-joints create.

Rzeppa joints are the ball type of CV-joint in pretty much every half-shaft in every car with independent suspension on the drive wheels - be it a Porsche 911 or a Kia Spectra.
Old 12-29-2016, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 908 Posts

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
Cardan joints are U-joints, not CV joints. The double-Cardan is just a fancy term for the every-day standard driveshaft with 2 U-joints that are oriented 90* from each other to cancel out the non-constant driveline velocity that U-joints create.

Rzeppa joints are the ball type of CV-joint in pretty much every half-shaft in every car with independent suspension on the drive wheels - be it a Porsche 911 or a Kia Spectra.
So what's this?

Andrew
Old 01-03-2017, 04:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It's just a really really short driveshaft, and a typical double-U-joint driveshaft is just a really really long double-Cardan joint (they both the exact same thing, one is just longer than the other, just in case you didn't get where I was going with that) and neither one are CV joints because that center section changes velocity whenever the input and output angles are anything other than 180 degrees. That's what CV stands for - Constant Velocity.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

It's just a really really short driveshaft, and a typical double-U-joint driveshaft is just a really really long double-Cardan joint (they both the exact same thing, one is just longer than the other, just in case you didn't get where I was going with that) and neither one are CV joints because that center section changes velocity whenever the input and output angles are anything other than 180 degrees. That's what CV stands for - Constant Velocity.
Except if you Google "double cardan CV joint" what find is exactly what I posted.

Irrelevant of the semantics, that is not what I am suggesting be used here.

Andrew
Old 01-03-2017, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Doesn't change the fact that a double-Cardan is not a CV joint. The center section still speeds up and slows down twice every revolution. It's an inferior design that was nothing more than a band-aid created nearly 100 years ago when people discovered a single U-joint was doing this. And this is why high performance cars use CV joints in their driveshafts. No more added stress, vibration, harmonics, etc etc.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doesn't change the fact that a double-Cardan is not a CV joint. The center section still speeds up and slows down twice every revolution. It's an inferior design that was nothing more than a band-aid created nearly 100 years ago when people discovered a single U-joint was doing this. And this is why high performance cars use CV joints in their driveshafts. No more added stress, vibration, harmonics, etc etc.
Well, tell the world that!

I think we are in violent agreement that the Rzeppa CV joint is more superior and that is exactly the style of joint I have on the driveshaft of my two current swaps.

Andrew
Old 01-03-2017, 04:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dunno, but I have seen LS powered aircraft. I imagine they will operate at a much more drastic angle.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LLave
Dunno, but I have seen LS powered aircraft. I imagine they will operate at a much more drastic angle.
But don't they have direct drive to the prop?

Andrew

Quick Reply: How far can you angle an LS engine? custom hot rod