Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1984 Cutlass 5.3 turbo keeping it simple

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that turbo setup is excatlly the way I want to do mine. need more update pics car is coming out awsome
Old 01-03-2020, 01:02 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Here's mine

Very similar but turbo flipped up instead with air to water intercooler

Old 01-10-2023, 01:44 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice, that was my original plan since the turbo is easily accessible but hanging the turbo worked for me and kept all the pipes just a little bit shorter.
Old 01-10-2023, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright Huge update,

Ive still be plugging away at this but between some cars and motorcycles its been on the back burner and then I kicked myself to get it running this past summer, Got it running, got it street tuned on 12psi, had abunch of fun took it too WoodWard Dream Cruise put afew hundred miles on it worked out a bunch of issues, and ended up starting to really lean on it and ended up spinning a bearing. When I had the engine out I only did cam and valve train I never touched the shortblock or even looked at the rotating assembly since I have a spare incase I want to through another in. Ill probably put a bigger CI shortblock in it this time around and shoot for alittle more power but enough of me talking heres the pictures.

Ended up shortening the turbo headers for a little more clearance for the radiator setup and took the factory radiator support and threw it in the garbage.

Assembled the 5.3 that I ended up spinning a bearing in but heres the quick pictures of that.

Put the engine and trans together, trans is a 4l80e with a precision 3400, internally the trans is stock I did put in a HD2 shift kit in it and seems to hold up pretty well builds afew pounds of boost footbraking it so it can leave pretty good. I went

After building the Rad support and mounting the Radiator I figured I would tackle the fan setup so here is the shroud that I built for it all

Figured I would want to drive at a dragstrip at some point so I put in a shut off put didnt want a giant **** hanging off the back so I used a pull/push one through the reverse light, also you can see the finished up fuel tank setup with the F-body tophat. I know I know I already cleaned up the trunk wiring it was all like that for testing all the functions.

Also mounted up my Holley Terminator X in my glove box, and built a mount for the 7in screen display which has been a great add im shocked by how much data this thing displays it honestly is worth every penny. I also of course have the 3.5 screen aswell but i think you can only have 6 items displayed at a time on that so I rarely ever look at it. Also mounted up my Kirkey prostreet and got that all situated which ended up being really comfortable on the street ( I know the rear isnt supported yet I dont have a way of supporting it until I can put in a 6pt cage or possibly an 8.50 cage, possibly might build a harness bar to mount it too but still undecided.) Glad I got to keep the bench seat aswell having the arm rest and comfortable passenger seat really makes it a great cruiser.

Heres some shots of it up and running around during dream cruise and afew pictures with a friends 01 Camaro (S480/6spd/9in)
Also some Random summer shots of the car out and about, also a finished engine bay picture.

And heres the pictures where were at now, I was out one night doing a Highway pull and the car shut off at the end of the pull ( I had a safety in the Holley to turn off the engine if it saw under 10psi of oil pressure so im guessing thats what turned off the car after I let off the throttle.) I limped it to the side of the road and it started back up but oil pressure was in the teens and kinda had a slight knock noise. It was late at night and didnt feel like coming back with a truck and trailer so I just limped it home knocking as it was 2 miles down the road. Figured it ether stretched a rod bolt or spun a bearing. Well im not a doctor but it ate cylinder 1 rod bearing and took .050 out of the crank.

Thankfully this let me get afew hundred miles out of the engine and alot of fun so as I was debating on selling the car for awhile as this build was taking way to long with all the other small projects I have going on at all times. But at this point I want to get the car back together and put in a bigger CI engine and turn it up alittle bit the car worked great and I cant wait to get it back with a stronger engine for next summer. So michigan winter is here and its all taken apart at the moment.
The following users liked this post:
truckdoug (01-10-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 593 Likes on 471 Posts

Nice looking Cutlass

Quick Reply: 1984 Cutlass 5.3 turbo keeping it simple