Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS3 Conversion in 1967 GTO

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2017, 12:35 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS3 Conversion in 1967 GTO

New to the site and looking for info on LS3 swaps. For budgetary reasons I would like to make the fewest changes to the engine bay of my '67 GTO as possible, especially the firewall.

1) Does the LS3 fit with the stock heater box, vacuum booster/master cylinder, etc?

2) Any changes to the stock brake lines?

3) What's the wisdom on motor mounts, transmission cross members & header lengths?

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-13-2017, 08:22 AM
Staging Lane

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Use the Holley/hooker Blackheart mounts and exhaust it will simplify your conversion . There is a long thread on the site highlighting the Developement and installation.
Old 02-13-2017, 10:58 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gretalives67
New to the site and looking for info on LS3 swaps. For budgetary reasons I would like to make the fewest changes to the engine bay of my '67 GTO as possible, especially the firewall.

1) Does the LS3 fit with the stock heater box, vacuum booster/master cylinder, etc? No engine bay or firewall changes on mine. I am running a hydraboost setup in place of the vacuum brake booster (I did this upgrade PRIOR to the LS swap), so I can't speak to the vacuum booster clearance. The steering box is tight, but it clears.

2) Any changes to the stock brake lines? Not with LS1 F-body exhaust manifolds, but I had to change the distribution block location on the frame when I switched to headers.

3) What's the wisdom on motor mounts, transmission cross members & header lengths? I'm running Edelbrock engine adapter plates with Chevelle engine mounts. I'm not sure Edelbrock makes them anymore. I was/am very happy with this setup though. Tons of options these days. The holley/hooker stuff is popular these days and goes through extensive development.

Any info you can provide will be greatly appreciated!
Check my build thread in my sig for more details. Plenty of other 64-67 A-body swaps on here too if you search.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 604 Likes on 480 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Just do the Holley setup. It solves all the vibration issues that are very common on A-body conversions. It should prolly be cheaper in the long run. Chasing other issues that arise when pc'ing together a setup that's not engineered to work together. While this may be slightly more expensive up front, it will pay for its self.

I tried pcing my swap (f-body) and it make more problems down the road. Holley stepped up to make this ALOT easier for people to enjoy their cars.

Quick Reply: LS3 Conversion in 1967 GTO