Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Cable Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 12:40 PM
Staging Lane

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Default Throttle Cable Questions

My Son & I are doing a LS1 / T56 / 93 Mazda RX-7 Swap. The engine has a LS6 intake – with the BIG TB Cam. There is NO WAY the Stock Mazda cable will ever work. The radius of the big cam has too much ‘pull’ and it bottoms out before WOT. I even cut 1.5” off the threaded end and still no-go. I’ve read all the ways to get everything to work and actually get WOT – but, the hassle and sheer ugliness of the OEM cable just ain’t worth the trouble. I cannot find a TB or cam assy. from an earlier LS to try and swap it out but I hear that's do-able.

However, there is a stud on the side of the TB Cam that (I assume) is for a KickDown / TV attachment. I’ve never seen anyone use that to pull the throttle – WHY? Is it unsafe? The GM bracket has 2 slots and the outer one would be perfect for a Lokar or similar DIY cable – and be pretty – If I could just find a way to attach it to the stud AND be made of metal.

I’ve looked and it seems that all the ‘cable end detents’ are all made of plastic – I kinda don’t trust that but it sure would be nice to hook the Throttle cable to THAT –shorter pull, minimal pedal mods, would be a real problem solver.

Has anyone ever used that little stud to pull the throttle? Are you OK with the plastic cable end? Does someone make a metal end? If I found a 98 TB with the smaller cam circle does it have the same performance / flow as the LS6 version?

TIA for any advice – I’m a HardCore Lurker and have absorbed SOOOO much from you guys. Great place here!!
Attached Thumbnails Throttle Cable Questions-kickdownend.jpg  
Old 02-20-2017, 08:35 PM
Staging Lane

Nuth'n Here??
Am I nutz for thinking this will work?
Old 02-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Restricted User

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts

Any LS throttle body will work, truck included.
The stud is for cruise control.

I always use a 99-02 truck throttle cable in my swaps.
Old 02-21-2017, 07:05 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the help. I'm not wanting to swap out the TB - maybe the cam but they're unicorns. - The F-Body cable is prolly the direction I'll go. The only thing I'm worried about is the amount of cable 'stick-out' at the end of the jacket. The larger TB cam needs so much more exposed cable - If I had the smaller diameter one this would be done by now.
I'll take a few pics of the completed job. VERY close to starting the beast.
Old 02-22-2017, 02:20 AM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I always use a 99-02 truck throttle cable in my swaps.

Same here,they are almost free and easy to adapt to almost any gas pedal.

Quick Reply: Throttle Cable Questions