Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Monza Wagon with an 5.3/ intakes ??

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017 | 02:42 PM
On The Tree

Default Monza Wagon with an 5.3/ intakes ??

Hey All, I've just started a new project, a Pro touring '78 Monza station Wagon with a 5.3 swap. I'm looking for a few more ponies but don't care to get crazy, this car will be a simple daily driver and I'll autocross it when I can. Decent power + incredible gas mileage is more important than insane hp numbers.

Even a stock 5.3 would likely put this lightweight car in the 13,s which is fine with me. I will be running a cowl induction 'glass hood. Power upgrades will include headers and maybe a mild cam. I was looking at intake options and had a question-

What's the difference between a real Trailblazer SS intake and a normal truck intake that looks like it? I've seen a few on ebay that says "(fits Trailblazer SS)" but are cheap ?? I've seen 3 or 4 different part numbers, is the 12620308 accurate for the TBSS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TrailBlazer-...p=mtr#viTabs_0

OR this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/INTAKE-MANIF...lXxv9s&vxp=mtr

Thanks!!
Old 02-28-2017 | 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic
10 Year Member

Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all gen IV ls truck intakes are the same as the SS Trailblazer.
Old 02-28-2017 | 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by showdog75
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure all gen IV ls truck intakes are the same as the SS Trailblazer.
That is my understanding as well. I think I've seen them on rockauto for about $150 bare. AC Delco part. Look up intake for a 2009 Colorado with the 5.3L. You will see that it cross references with the TB.

Andrew
Old 02-28-2017 | 05:39 PM
On The Tree

I agree they look the same on the outside, but yet people charge a whole bunch more for an intake that came off a 6.0 Trailblazer SS. I also see different part numbers for the main intake so I'm wondering if port volume or runner length is different or something?

Maybe it's just in the bolt on parts- injectors and throttle body size?

HR magazine says the Trailblazer SS intake flowed better hp and TQ than an LS1 or earlier truck intake and better than a couple aftermarket intakes as well. If they're the same internally seems it would be a good idea to nab one off a 4.8 or 5.3 for cheap and call it a day. I just want to make sure that I'm spending money on a viable upgrade if I were to buy an average later truck intake to replace my earlier truck intake.

Thanks again for your input!

Last edited by SRDart; 02-28-2017 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-28-2017 | 05:51 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

Originally Posted by SRDart
I agree they look the same on the outside, but yet people charge a whole bunch more for an intake that came off a 6.0 Trailblazer SS. I also see different part numbers for the main intake so I'm wondering if port volume or runner length is different or something?

Maybe it's just in the bolt on parts- injectors and throttle body size?

HR magazine says the Trailblazer SS intake flowed better hp and TQ than an LS1 or earlier truck intake and better than a couple aftermarket intakes as well. If they're the same internally seems it would be a good idea to nab one off a 4.8 or 5.3 for cheap and call it a day. I just want to make sure that I'm spending money on a viable upgrade if I were to buy an average later truck intake to replace my earlier truck intake.

Thanks again for your input!
This can all be true. The different part numbers could be some variance in the various vacuum ports.

I just don't believe that GM would go to the expense of developing a manifold with a different design for a limited production vehicle (TBSS).

Andrew
Old 02-28-2017 | 07:29 PM
Teching In

A truck LS intake manifold and oil pan will not fit in a '78 Monza. You will need an F body intake, oil pan, and oil pick up tube with screen. Better still get an F body All aluminum 5.7L engine with all the wiring and ECM and do a more typical swap. That set up is lighter than a Gen 1 SBC and will make that Monza really perform.
Old 02-28-2017 | 07:36 PM
TECH Senior Member
20 Year Member

There are also several gen 3 and gen 4 5.3L aluminum block variants. My Cougar has run 12.7@107 at 3400 race weight with a LH8, ASA cam and my crazy "dual quad" tunnel ram...

Andrew
Old 03-01-2017 | 03:13 PM
On The Tree

I already have a dependable 5.3 from a 2003 Tahoe, Texas Speed reworked ecm and pinned out harness. My son was going to use it in his Pro Touring G body Cutlass wagon and then decided to go with more cubes so I got the 5.3 from him.

It'll fit, I'm doing something different with the front suspension clip. I'll be running likely the Hummer/ Hot Rod pan. The taller intake should fit fine under a cowl ind. hood. I'm sticking with the truck intake because I want the better torque figures and I already have a complete engine. I've seen the later truck intakes complete on ebay so I was thinking about that instead, everywhere I read the TBSS intake makes even more power than the older LS Truck intake. Plus I like to do things that other people haven't. Every LS powered Vega/ Monza I've seen has a car intake. That's challenge enough for me to make it work.

Quick Reply: Monza Wagon with an 5.3/ intakes ??